Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Homelink install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Homelink install

I bought an overhead console off of eBay that had a Homelink module so I could customize it for my 05 xB. Just wasn't a lot of good opportunity on that car but today during the xB2 disassembly, I found a great location for the module that I have.

This is what I started out with kinda. I removed just this module from the overhead console from a Kia Sedona.

This is the box that's underneath that gray plastic.

I trimmed most of the black plastic housing that was unneccessary. Then I worked on the center console to allow the unit to fit in the front of the center console, under the shifter. I drilled the holes below with a unibit. You have to be very precise so those rubber buttons will line up right.

This is the hole I made so that the module would fit. This is a view from the underside of the center console. Notice the tee nuts i put in.

This is the OEM piece without any cutting and what I had to work with

Those tee nuts are so that I could have the Homelink unit pressed against the wall of the center console. See the machine screws pressing against the back of the Homelink unit??? Not too tight or the buttons won't work!

This is what it looks like now from the side:

And this is the view from the top. Now you know where I put it???

The Homelink units just need power and ground. There was no constant 12v I could find in the center console so tomorrow I will just hook up 12v somewhere under the dash. That will be a cinch. The buttons can be pressed and they click like the originally did. It's a little tricky making sure everything is centered right. If I tighten the machine screws too hard, the rubber buttons go off center and they don't press in correctly.

I like this location a lot because it is easy to reach and it is not easy to see. Doing this anywhere else on the car would have left it in plain view or made it difficult to reach. The hardest part is drilling out those holes with the unibit because it's just not easy to get them centered correctly. I used the gray plastic trim taped up against the center console to get some small pilot holes drilled.

There was quite a bit of cutting with the Dremel, a lot of test fitting to make sure everything went together correctly. The top piece of the console had to have a vane trimmed off from it's underside (really easy) to allow it to snap back on the top.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I like the customization you did. If only I knew what Homelink was.

Good job.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great job. makes me want to try something like that. Does the location low in the car make a difference in the signal distance?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Homelink takes over your garage door openers. I have 2 garages I park my car in and I don't want to carry about the transmitters for both.

I'll find out about the range tonight. Usually the homelink modules are up high so we'll see...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

OOoo... I need homelink!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! I did that a while back and placed it on the fuse box cover. Check it out.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...447&highlight=
Old 05-31-2007, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Great idea and a great write-up.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Malibu_Rapper
I'll find out about the range tonight. Usually the homelink modules are up high so we'll see...
Nice.
So how about the range? Does there seem to be any problem with the lower mounting?

I was thinking about your install and looking at the overhead console box and it looks like an obvious mod for that thing.

I love Homelink. I was thinking of seeing what it would take to install the Auto dimming mirror with Homelink built in like the one in my wife's Prius. The overhead console or the center lower console liek youra are certainly other options.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by roXor_boXor
So how about the range? Does there seem to be any problem with the lower mounting?
I wish I could tell ya. There were no easy places under the dash to find 12v. I didn't want to splice into any wires there. The cigarette adapter started to look attractive but I am holding off until I start on the audio system. I plan to run an auxiliary fuse panel to the front to power additional items. Sorry but no update since the last post on this thread.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Where can I get homelink from?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Looks sweet, although I wonder if the rear view mirror units might not provide an easier way of getting HomeLink into a Scion.

The 350Z has it built into the rear view, might be a good place to start looking...
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I was thinking of putting it in the center console area, under the lid... but the rear veiw mirror is a good place too.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just an update. I've used the Homelink that is built into a 2002 Accord, one that is part of a Gentex mirror, and the one that I installed into the xB. I never get consistent range with any one of them. It does appear that the range is slightly better on the Homelink mirror equipped NSX. But it's not by much and I usually drive with the top off and that has a large effect on the range I discovered.

The xB2 Homelink install pictured above has good range. It's not long as the OEM remotes but it it's not bad. I did notice when I was out of range, if I rolled the windows down it got better range (My front windows are tinted).

Whatever the case, the range is fine on both of my garage doors and it was well worth the mod.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have a homelink for sale its the newer/smaller version

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...124352#3124352
Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search eBay for "homelink"