View Full Version : AVIC D3 Install questions

jarero
06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Just bought my wife a new box on Sunday and have a huge list of parts on the way including a Pioneer AVIC D3. I have a few install questions that I haven't been able to find on the forums:

1) How do I find the VSS wire on the 08' (avic411.com doesn't have anything on it)?
2) Will the scosche install kit for the 06' work on my 08' (that's what the stereo shop is sending me)?
3) Can I use the 06' wiring harness?
4) Does anyone have any how to's on deck install, speakers, etc?

Thanks in advance for the help!

styx0270
06-06-2007, 10:56 PM
I can't help you with the install question, but I plan on putting the AVIC-D3 in my new xB as well. Could you let me know how you like it and if it was an easy install?

Thanks

jarero
06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
No problem styx, I will let you know. Hopefully someone here can point us in the right direction. I also ordered the bluetooth adapter and the camera for it as well.

XBC09
06-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey Hey i just bought a 2008 XB. Sweet so pump up. Check this out! this is what u need to install ur gps Avic-d3.

First How to find the VSS wire that is going to be tuff one because the only people that are going to Know are scion and a select few will know how to find if. If u can't find it u need to buy a speed Pulse Genorator. We do alot of kenwood peices M# kna-pg100. That will magnatize the will allowing ur vss wire to work perfectly!

Ok Dash kit and harnes metra makes better kits in my own opion. M# 95-8202 this will come with brackets to on each side of the radio small just to fill in the gaps using the factory bolts. Harness is going to be a metra m# 70-1761 don't quote me but this is the same kit and harness we use on the FJ cruiser. I have all ready pulled the dash on mine and every thing lines up.

That Pannel arround the radio and AC vents pops right off. Just like any panel u have to almost feel like its about to break then it comes right off.

6 1/2's are in the doors! as far as speakers go back and front. Most the new speakers are comming with small magenets and have shallow mounts most likely u will have to get a spacers built in the front. Lets hope not! I haven't pulled the pannels off my self but trust me i do a tone of cars. anything else just ask!!!

Just joined the forms, From Longview TX keep me in touch all u scion freaks. Love the new ride.

jarero
06-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the reply XBC09, I will look up those part numbers. I plan to take a lot of pictures of my install and pull some dimensions from the door for allowable mounting depth of speakers. I bought MB Quart components for the front doors and coax for the rear and usually they are pretty good at being shallow speakers. I almost always figure on building speakers rings anyway just for a better fit to the door. I am also hoping to install the amps under the rear seat but will know more when I gut the interior for sound deadening. Good times!

randode
06-07-2007, 01:38 AM
the wiring plug for the old xB will work, not sure about the other questions though.
good luck!

XBC09
06-07-2007, 03:15 AM
If doing a componet set Be sure to apply some Dynomatt to the doors as well i would cover whole front doors to kill pannel distortion. Those doors are real light. Also the factory tweeter location for the aftermarket tweeter in my opion would be great to keep the level of sound up. And easy install. I think almost any amp or 4channel amp will fit under the front seats. lots of room and all those pannels pop real easy.

jarero
06-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks for all of the info and advance thus far. Has anyone figured out a way to make the factory ipod connector work with an aftermarket headunit like the AVIC D3?

CheapChic
06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
the wiring plug for the old xB will work, not sure about the other questions though.
good luck!

randode

will the ipod harness work off the stock
i would like the same unit, but do no want to lose the ipod hookup

roXor_boXor
06-07-2007, 11:52 AM
will the ipod harness work off the stock
i would like the same unit, but do no want to lose the ipod hookup
I believe somebody else confirmed that the stock iPod hookup is a no-go with the Avic D3.
There is a cable for the D3 to hook up your iPod that you buy from Pioneer. You can put it in so that your iPod can be placed someplace better than stock like the glove compartment or the shelf above it for example.
The iPod interface on the D3 is awesome btw.

Schmohey
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
If anyone is in the market for a D3 right now, BestBuy has a great deal at the moment!

$999 - 12% or 119.88 = 879.12 - $100 GC = 779.12 (before tax)

Link for the D3 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8242458&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat105600050004&id=1169512508513)

Link for the 12% off discount (http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/external/emails/060107_dads_day_coupons_final.pdf)

roXor_boXor
06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
How about $699.99 and not giving BB another $100 to buy a gift card you probably don't want.
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Pioneer-AVIC-D3-In-Dash-DVD-GPS-Receiver-1008978~.html?sid=lz20j50b3gl99pr
CompuPlus is where many of the folks over at AVIV411.com are getting their D3's.

jarero
06-08-2007, 02:37 AM
So far from my original questions I have answered the following:

1) How do I find the VSS wire on the 08' (avic411.com doesn't have anything on it)?

No direct answer here yet.

2) Will the scosche install kit for the 06' work on my 08' (that's what the stereo shop is sending me)?

Sounds like this kit will fit but the toyota part might be better. I will try it first and report!

Yes.

Some pictures out there of taking apart the dash but no step by step guides yet. Maybe I can work some magic!

5) Will the ipod connector still work.

Know way to make this work as of yet

Did I miss anything? I would really like to get a specific wire color and location for the VSS if anyone has it!!!!

Thanks!

roXor_boXor
06-08-2007, 04:25 AM
So far from my original questions I have answered the following:

No direct answer here yet.
Still no direct answer to this, but it looks like there might be some clues in the SNS install manual posted on TRD Sparks
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08545-00930inst.pdf
I'll let you read and see if the connection points for the SNS help with the D3.

jarero
06-08-2007, 05:21 AM
Hey roxor, thanks for the link! I didn't get the answer I was looking for but I will use a bunch of the info for my install.

Schmohey
06-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Good call roxor!

XBC09
06-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Dude.... Ok the VSS wire is going to be inpossible to find.

Let me explain a little better. Ok ur VSS or (vehicle speed signal) tells ur speedometer how to register or callibrate. Which im sure u already know just clarfing for other peeps.

Some people would say look behind the speedometer but it is somtimes not allways there.

Its going to be Hard to find because u will have to get scion to fax u a digram of the car but just like any digram nethier i or any normal person that dosn't do that for a living is going to know how to read it. And most likely ur local dealship that "knows eveything" is not going to know eaither. Getting Techs on the phone from scion is ur only chance and lets hope u get someone very knoligable. This will not allways be the with time someone will release the wire and know where it is.

Sometimes u can call Roster a cruise control company alot of them use application for adding cruise to a vehicle.

Now A (Speed Pulse Generator) ur going to use magnets to count how many times ur wheel rotates. ur magnatize ur wheel with a wand sold with the kit m# kna-pg100 and u will calbrate ur wheel to the VSS wire on ur D3 and it works just like ur vss wire if not better when done propularly.

To the Radio dashkit M# 95-8202 metra M# 70-1761 Harrness are the correct parts for the car

The dashkit has instructions on how to assemble the radio and reinstall it back in the dash. Its Called a ISO mount.

Taking the dash off is easy the trim that is arround ur radio with 2 ac vents pops right off accessing 4 10mm bolts at each cornner of the radio. ur radio will have fac. brackts u will keep those to reassemble ur D3 back into the car. U will not be using the can that came with ur D3.

jarero
06-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply XBC09, I was hoping that someone that has already done the install would have figured out which wire it was but if not I will just have to take your advice and buy a speed pulse gen. Thanks!

RiCe3aTeR
06-10-2007, 10:22 PM
i bought my d3 over at super autobacs a week ago. they had all the wirings needed at the store. i forget which wires where which...but for sure, they'll have it there. i can double check for you when i go back.

BigBHaller
06-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I see in the xB Nav installation guide that there is a SPD signal wire (Violet/White) on Page 12.

Would this wire work for the VSS signal (I'm assuming SPD means 'speed')?

Bigfieroman
06-12-2007, 02:28 AM
I have a D3 I am going to install this week, and I have the backup camera. Anyone know where is a good place to catch a backup light wire other than the rear bumper?

BigBHaller
06-12-2007, 03:23 AM
I have a D3 I am going to install this week, and I have the backup camera. Anyone know where is a good place to catch a backup light wire other than the rear bumper?

Read the instructions from here (Roxor_Boxor posted this earlier):

See pages 9 through 15
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08545-00930inst.pdf

randode
06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
for the speed sensor wire, try the purple wire behind the radio. this is the one I cut to make the stock navi play dvds while in motion.

Bigfieroman
06-13-2007, 03:14 AM
I see in the xB Nav installation guide that there is a SPD signal wire (Violet/White) on Page 12.

for the speed sensor wire, try the purple wire behind the radio. this is the one I cut to make the stock navi play dvds while in motion.

The SPD Signal wire mentioned is the wire that connects to the vehicle speed sensor from the stock nav unit, but the instructions say it is not necessary to connect it to the car and do not say where to connect it.

Randode, based on what I said above, I would believe that the purple wire you cut is not the speed signal wire. The speed signal wire, if it was connected on yours, would be violet with a white stripe. If the wire was violet/white, and THAT was connected to something, I would be eternally grateful (and buy some stuff from you) if you could tell me where it went.

randode
06-13-2007, 05:03 PM

The SPD Signal wire mentioned is the wire that connects to the vehicle speed sensor from the stock nav unit, but the instructions say it is not necessary to connect it to the car and do not say where to connect it.

Randode, based on what I said above, I would believe that the purple wire you cut is not the speed signal wire. The speed signal wire, if it was connected on yours, would be violet with a white stripe. If the wire was violet/white, and THAT was connected to something, I would be eternally grateful (and buy some stuff from you) if you could tell me where it went.
the violet with a white stripe was taped up and just hanging behind the dash.

Malibu_Rapper
06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
FYI, on a stock non-NAV xB2, you will only find the connectors in the picture below. My guess is that they pulled the wire from somewhere else.

http://www.pldlawyers.com/bp/scion/xb2/disassemble/xb2-dissassembly-16.JPG

Bigfieroman
06-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Confirmed:

The speed signal wire from the VSS is the purple wire in the 20-pin rectangular connector behind the radio. This is the second from the right connector in the above photo. This was originally suggested by Randode and mostly confirmed by Smartass.

I just installed my D3, used this wire, and confirmed that the signal was being received by the unit.

city-soundzdotcom
06-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Just bought my wife a new box on Sunday and have a huge list of parts on the way including a Pioneer AVIC D3. I have a few install questions that I haven't been able to find on the forums:

Thanks in advance for the help!

You can make it work, you just might need some slight mods. To install any new dash unit you need a 9volt battery to help locate your speaker paired wires and a tester for the power wires. That will help you get everything plugged in as needed.

edit - must be a site sponsor in order to advertise on scionlife - cherryBox

birdy233
08-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I just picked up a D3 and plan to do the install myself. The VSS wire is the purple wire in the second harness from the right, correct? I heard purple/white and just wanted to clarify. Also did you hook up the reverse wire? If so where is that located?

Thanks!

Zlog
08-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I got my D3 installed and working great! Bypassed and rockin'

The installer knew i was going to bypass it and said he didn't hook up the speed wire because he had had problems with the bypass before when it was connected.

Has anyone else had problems? What exactly will the speed wire give me in terms of benefits over not connecting it?

Schmohey
08-05-2007, 04:23 AM
Does the steering mount control still work with the D3?

BigBHaller
08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Yes, but you need the SWI-PS made by PAC. That's the Steering Wheel Interface for Pioneer and Sony. You'll have to do a little soldering with a resistor, and hook up about 5-6 wires.

birdy233
08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Finally got mine installed, it was very easy....the local Best Buy did it. Very cool installer there who just bought an XB himself!

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8026/xbde2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

wacktool
08-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Looks great, can you please post a day time shot? I would love to see what the fitment looks like.

Thanks

birdy233
08-21-2007, 01:16 AM
here you go:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2469/xbrad2fg6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

wacktool
08-21-2007, 01:24 AM
nice fitment. So by seeing the scion logo, i guess you can customize the screens.

birdy233
08-21-2007, 01:27 AM
yep, you can download any picture background you want, very nice radio for the price. You can pick one up for less than $700

wacktool
08-21-2007, 01:29 AM
where? Cheapest i can find is 899.99 shipped (free shipping, no tax) and free dash and wiring kit

birdy233
08-21-2007, 01:37 AM
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Pioneer-AVIC-D3-In-Dash-DVD-GPS-Receiver-1008978~.html?sid=lhnz28rc40k3ztz&mfr=Pioneer&category=AUTO%20ELECTRONICS

I was a bit leary, but people here recomended it and on Avic411.com had many people buying from them without trouble. Delivered quickly and brand spanking new!

wacktool
08-21-2007, 01:51 AM
So this is where you picked yours up? Thanks for all the info and fast responses. System looks great, wife hates you now cause im going to buy one lol.

birdy233
08-21-2007, 02:00 AM
yep, good deal from there. I like it :silly:

uberspeed
08-21-2007, 04:27 AM
To recap, do you need both Metra wiring harness 70-1761 and mounting kit 95-8202 ?
TIA

birdy233
08-21-2007, 10:22 AM
yep!

uberspeed
08-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Thank you.
One more thing, I'm being lazy I know lol
The AV1 hookup in the rear, all I really want to hook up to it is my XM Inno, so I'll run a 3.5mm to RCA's. Will I be able to listen to the Inno on source AV1 and navigate at the same time? Being that I'm not using the video portion of the AV1 hookup.

birdy233
08-21-2007, 02:28 PM
yes you can

wacktool
08-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Well i pulled the trigger and my avic-d3, xm add on, and the pac swi-ps should be here today. Thanks for all the helpman, but one last question. Where did mount your navi ant? Did you mount it in the dash where SCION would mount the SNS?

birdy233
08-24-2007, 02:41 PM
same place as stock Navi unit, upper right shelf behind the radio...works perfect!

wacktool
08-24-2007, 03:17 PM
cool, i was just concered that it being under the dash it would interfere. Do you happen to have xm or siruis? If so where did you mount those ant's?

birdy233
08-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I have Sirius and I routed my antenna into the rear hatch area, popped off the upper right panel in the hatch area and mounted behind that panel directly to the body panel, works good and stays hidden

wacktool
08-25-2007, 12:17 AM
No reception issues? Wow, i get reception issues in my 07 tc just with it on the front dash.

birdy233
08-25-2007, 12:56 AM
none for me, maybe having it mounted directly to the metal body panels helps it with reception, but no static and sounds clear

wacktool
08-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Thanks birdy for the help. Just finished putting in my avic-d3 with swi-ps and the xm module. Have to save some cash up now for the bluetooth module. I ended up putting the xm ant on the roof.

birdy233
08-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Nice, now post up some pics :silly:

wacktool
08-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Not much diff than ur's, but i did mount the xm ant on the roof through the oem ant hole.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/wacktool/sideant.jpg

This one you can still see the wax dust i havent gotten to wiping off yet.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/wacktool/backant.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/wacktool/vic1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/wacktool/vic2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/wacktool/vic3.jpg[/img]

birdy233
08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
very nice...good job :clap: