Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

AVIC D3 Install questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default AVIC D3 Install questions

Just bought my wife a new box on Sunday and have a huge list of parts on the way including a Pioneer AVIC D3. I have a few install questions that I haven't been able to find on the forums:

1) How do I find the VSS wire on the 08' (avic411.com doesn't have anything on it)?
2) Will the scosche install kit for the 06' work on my 08' (that's what the stereo shop is sending me)?
3) Can I use the 06' wiring harness?
4) Does anyone have any how to's on deck install, speakers, etc?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 PM

I can't help you with the install question, but I plan on putting the AVIC-D3 in my new xB as well. Could you let me know how you like it and if it was an easy install?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No problem styx, I will let you know. Hopefully someone here can point us in the right direction. I also ordered the bluetooth adapter and the camera for it as well.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 AM

Hey Hey i just bought a 2008 XB. Sweet so pump up. Check this out! this is what u need to install ur gps Avic-d3.

First How to find the VSS wire that is going to be tuff one because the only people that are going to Know are scion and a select few will know how to find if. If u can't find it u need to buy a speed Pulse Genorator. We do alot of kenwood peices M# kna-pg100. That will magnatize the will allowing ur vss wire to work perfectly!

Ok Dash kit and harnes metra makes better kits in my own opion. M# 95-8202 this will come with brackets to on each side of the radio small just to fill in the gaps using the factory bolts. Harness is going to be a metra m# 70-1761 don't quote me but this is the same kit and harness we use on the FJ cruiser. I have all ready pulled the dash on mine and every thing lines up.

That Pannel arround the radio and AC vents pops right off. Just like any panel u have to almost feel like its about to break then it comes right off.

6 1/2's are in the doors! as far as speakers go back and front. Most the new speakers are comming with small magenets and have shallow mounts most likely u will have to get a spacers built in the front. Lets hope not! I haven't pulled the pannels off my self but trust me i do a tone of cars. anything else just ask!!!

Just joined the forms, From Longview TX keep me in touch all u scion freaks. Love the new ride.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the reply XBC09, I will look up those part numbers. I plan to take a lot of pictures of my install and pull some dimensions from the door for allowable mounting depth of speakers. I bought MB Quart components for the front doors and coax for the rear and usually they are pretty good at being shallow speakers. I almost always figure on building speakers rings anyway just for a better fit to the door. I am also hoping to install the amps under the rear seat but will know more when I gut the interior for sound deadening. Good times!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

the wiring plug for the old xB will work, not sure about the other questions though.
good luck!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:15 AM

If doing a componet set Be sure to apply some Dynomatt to the doors as well i would cover whole front doors to kill pannel distortion. Those doors are real light. Also the factory tweeter location for the aftermarket tweeter in my opion would be great to keep the level of sound up. And easy install. I think almost any amp or 4channel amp will fit under the front seats. lots of room and all those pannels pop real easy.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for all of the info and advance thus far. Has anyone figured out a way to make the factory ipod connector work with an aftermarket headunit like the AVIC D3?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode
the wiring plug for the old xB will work, not sure about the other questions though.
good luck!
randode

will the ipod harness work off the stock
i would like the same unit, but do no want to lose the ipod hookup
Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CheapChic
will the ipod harness work off the stock
i would like the same unit, but do no want to lose the ipod hookup
I believe somebody else confirmed that the stock iPod hookup is a no-go with the Avic D3.
There is a cable for the D3 to hook up your iPod that you buy from Pioneer. You can put it in so that your iPod can be placed someplace better than stock like the glove compartment or the shelf above it for example.
The iPod interface on the D3 is awesome btw.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone is in the market for a D3 right now, BestBuy has a great deal at the moment!

$999 - 12% or 119.88 = 879.12 - $100 GC = 779.12 (before tax)

Link for the D3

Link for the 12% off discount
Old 06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about $699.99 and not giving BB another $100 to buy a gift card you probably don't want.
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Pioneer-A...z20j50b3gl99pr
CompuPlus is where many of the folks over at AVIV411.com are getting their D3's.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So far from my original questions I have answered the following:

1) How do I find the VSS wire on the 08' (avic411.com doesn't have anything on it)?

No direct answer here yet.

2) Will the scosche install kit for the 06' work on my 08' (that's what the stereo shop is sending me)?

Sounds like this kit will fit but the toyota part might be better. I will try it first and report!

3) Can I use the 06' wiring harness?

Yes.

4) Does anyone have any how to's on deck install, speakers, etc?

Some pictures out there of taking apart the dash but no step by step guides yet. Maybe I can work some magic!

5) Will the ipod connector still work.

Know way to make this work as of yet

Did I miss anything? I would really like to get a specific wire color and location for the VSS if anyone has it!!!!

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jarero
So far from my original questions I have answered the following:

No direct answer here yet.
Still no direct answer to this, but it looks like there might be some clues in the SNS install manual posted on TRD Sparks
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08545-00930inst.pdf
I'll let you read and see if the connection points for the SNS help with the D3.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey roxor, thanks for the link! I didn't get the answer I was looking for but I will use a bunch of the info for my install.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good call roxor!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 PM

Dude.... Ok the VSS wire is going to be inpossible to find.

Let me explain a little better. Ok ur VSS or (vehicle speed signal) tells ur speedometer how to register or callibrate. Which im sure u already know just clarfing for other peeps.

Some people would say look behind the speedometer but it is somtimes not allways there.

Its going to be Hard to find because u will have to get scion to fax u a digram of the car but just like any digram nethier i or any normal person that dosn't do that for a living is going to know how to read it. And most likely ur local dealship that "knows eveything" is not going to know eaither. Getting Techs on the phone from scion is ur only chance and lets hope u get someone very knoligable. This will not allways be the with time someone will release the wire and know where it is.

Sometimes u can call Roster a cruise control company alot of them use application for adding cruise to a vehicle.

Now A (Speed Pulse Generator) ur going to use magnets to count how many times ur wheel rotates. ur magnatize ur wheel with a wand sold with the kit m# kna-pg100 and u will calbrate ur wheel to the VSS wire on ur D3 and it works just like ur vss wire if not better when done propularly.

To the Radio dashkit M# 95-8202 metra M# 70-1761 Harrness are the correct parts for the car

The dashkit has instructions on how to assemble the radio and reinstall it back in the dash. Its Called a ISO mount.

Taking the dash off is easy the trim that is arround ur radio with 2 ac vents pops right off accessing 4 10mm bolts at each cornner of the radio. ur radio will have fac. brackts u will keep those to reassemble ur D3 back into the car. U will not be using the can that came with ur D3.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the detailed reply XBC09, I was hoping that someone that has already done the install would have figured out which wire it was but if not I will just have to take your advice and buy a speed pulse gen. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought my d3 over at super autobacs a week ago. they had all the wirings needed at the store. i forget which wires where which...but for sure, they'll have it there. i can double check for you when i go back.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Default SPD signal?

I see in the xB Nav installation guide that there is a SPD signal wire (Violet/White) on Page 12.

Would this wire work for the VSS signal (I'm assuming SPD means 'speed')?

Quick Reply: AVIC D3 Install questions