Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

for those of you that have NAVI

Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default for those of you that have NAVI

I WILL be getting the xB2g and I am thinking of getting the navigation... never had a car with it....and have really needed something like that... I was at the dealership and they had one in a car, but i took it for a small test drive and didnt have time to play... anyways my questions to those of you that have it is...

worth the money?

what are some little known things that it can do that I (or others) might not know.? (asking because I believe I saw a calendar, and something about oil change)

overall opinion?

feel free to tell me whatever you might know..

thanks in advace.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always rec aftermarket since they are cheaper and usually have more features. if your into audio, then you also get better SQ...
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

okay sweet I will keep that in mind...
Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 PM

I have owned two portable nav systems and the Mio C310x I own now has been great, I have tested it a couple of times on large cities and it has always gotten me there, you can move it from car to car, use it while walking, or on the bycicle or motorcycle, even hide it when you think you should. All for $150 in CC. I would save the $2,000 and get a portable one, and if you really think you need an integrated one later on, there is alway aftermarket. My $.0199
Old 06-19-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats true but Google Maps on the Blackberry (free) is just as good when your on foot...
Old 06-19-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

click on the link in my signature to see my laptop setup in my box. that's what i use for navigation and music and it absolutely f*cking rocks my socks!
- sh00kie
Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well i am looking right online for some right now... however... does the available navi have voice recongnition?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well does anyone have any recomendations for IN DASH systems with navi... been looking
Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ANYONE????
Old 06-21-2007, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I really like the Alpine setup but its not quite all in dash and thats why I like it. Check out the blackbird on Alpines site.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive got avic-D3 flush mounted in mine and it works great got it new for 750 dvd nav the works
Old 06-21-2007, 12:11 PM

Some guys at Avic411 recomend the Kenwood DNX7100 because it uses Garmin's navigation software which cost about $50-$100 to update vs. ~$300 to update for the Pioneer D3 system. Another reason why I still recomend a portable cheap system is because most of us only use it on long trips and we are at a point in time where integrated in dash system prices are dropping like flies, a year ago who would have thought that you could buy a new double din Pioneer gps in dash system for ~$700. If you wait until prices stabilize you would get an awsome system for your money.(sorry I am an accountant)
Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ exactly the reason why i use navigation via a laptop vs. a portable or in-dash unit. not only is the cost high, why spend $700 or more on an in dash unit which is a b!tch to update? with my laptop, updating is as easy as taking the laptop (which is removable - duh) back into my house, updating the software, and thats it!

certainly, having a laptop or tablet (like i have) in the car isn't the CLEANEST and MOST BEAUTIFUL SHOW READY SETUP out there - but when im going traveling to a new place, i dont give a flying f___ about cosmetics. i just want a cheap solution that would bail me out if i got lost.

booting up

watching boondocks

night shot from outside the car

shot from inside the car - brightness was on high - i was in park

the fact that i also have a ton of music + movies on my laptop -that i can hear all through my factory speakers - is icing on the cake! mmm cake!
the clarity of a huge 12" screen (although probably illegal) at night is absolutely magnificent. when i turn the screen brightness down all the way to the lowest, it's absolutely fine to drive with it at night - not too bright, you can still focus on the road..

just sharin',
- sh00k
Old 06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats all good it does seem to fit well there but whatever you like i travel enough to justify spending on the in dash plus i need it to be something show worthy and updates arnt that bad just need a friend with the new map disk ive got a buddy with a stereo shop that will take care of me on those
Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ that is a good point. i stay local most of the time. i usually go to new places maybe 10% out of all the times i use my box. i could def. see how, if you travel to unfamiliar places much more often - that an indash setup would be ideal!

just for some ideas, take a look at the ICE AND INTERIOR section of the gen 1 boards on scionlife. i have seen tons of people with various diff. in-dash setups - from the pioneers, to the factory/camry navigation and everything else in between.
- sh00k
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well thanks guys you have givin me some ideas and i will go from here....

one more question... talking bout map dvd's does it use any map dvd? or does it have to be a certain one?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ certain/specific MAP DVDS based on your navigation system. this is typically car-manufacturer based. IE - 2007 maps for your honda, or 2007 maps for your audi. usually companies use 1 type of navigation system all-throughout their cars so they are the same systems.
- sh00k
Old 06-21-2007, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thats good to know thats shook
Old 06-21-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill post some pics of min tonight so you can compare what you like sorry its a little dark between the limo tint all the way around and the black paint for the center console its hard to see but nice a clean flush mounted
Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

tahoepimp can you tell me some of the pluses of the avic d3 that the stock navi doesnt have....besides the price.... i am kinda curious..... does it give you roads instead of turn left now....

also if you are just starting up your car will it have the map up. still even with the dvd not in the slot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: for those of you that have NAVI