View Full Version : first pics ipod/aux relocation!

trialsrider
07-03-2007, 12:25 AM
http://www.scionlife.com/gallery/personal/53299_1.jpg

http://www.scionlife.com/gallery/personal/53299_2.jpg

what do you guys think?

mikemann
07-03-2007, 12:39 AM
pics aren't working...

trialsrider
07-03-2007, 12:48 AM
they are for me? anyone else see them?

mad-sciontist
not for us...

Big_Bird
pics dont work, did you move them after you posted them?

trialsrider
07-03-2007, 12:51 AM
tried reload, got big x. went back to ice and interior, clicked on topic, they were there. didn't move them....

roXor_boXor
07-03-2007, 01:29 AM
I see them.
Looks nice. Very clean install.

were you able to just pull the harness for the connections back up behind the dash and install them? Any real problems doing that?

boxful
07-03-2007, 01:31 AM
I think this is a GREAT idea and yours looks really clean.

Any "how to" instructions?

mikemann
07-03-2007, 01:55 AM
yeah the pics work now...they look great! Got to do a how to, please!

mikemann
07-03-2007, 01:56 AM

XBFred
07-03-2007, 06:39 AM
X10

mikemann
07-03-2007, 08:18 AM
my big question is how did or where did you get the plugs for he holes? I've got an emial in to my parts guy at the dealership about getting some of these. I was going to do the same thing but only with the ipod plug and just re-route it into the center console...but your glovebox install looks so clean.

Was it hard cutting the holes for the jacks? Did you just dremel them or any tips there?

trialsrider
07-03-2007, 12:30 PM
sorry, had to rush my son to e.r. just as soon as i posted this. sudden migraine and puking like a lawn sprinkler. how many buckets can you fit in an xb? lots!! all good now, except for sleep.... :yawn: anyways, here goes:

pull cupholder plastic up( snaps), disconnect the cables leaving pigtails at cubby( you'll see it), then bolt in front, bolt under felt in cubby, 2 plastic push bolts at back bottom of console, console loose. take apart top of shifter housing, front, and right side ( all pops, rt side has 1 screw at top). glovebox comes out by squeezing in both sides a little, then pop little shock off side. loosen wire from 2 locations leading back up to the stereo, then run wires back up to steel support on left side of glovebox and fasten with ziptie. for holes, rt side is better because of fan housing. scribe holes, cut with a hot box knife. make holes tight, as you want an interference fit. the thickness of the glovebox is smaller than the mounting at the console, so i made it REAL tight, and wrapped a ziptie around the back of each connecter to be sure. the blockoffs are standard toyota, the one next to your shifter fits the orig location perfect! 5 bucks apiece at the dealer! will disassemble again and take pics, but i hope it's not necessary.. :lalala:
see, it DOES pay to stick things where they don't belong!!

techgeekwill
07-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Looks Awesome. I think I may do something like this eventually.

toyotaisme
07-03-2007, 06:55 PM
That's a better location hidding the ipod. great idea. i moved my to the inside of the center arm rest. will post pics later.

trialsrider
07-04-2007, 03:28 AM
got the blockoff p#---55539-52060-b0 cover, spare sw. good luck and enjoy!

mochee_garage
07-04-2007, 09:36 AM
sweet!

whats-A-skyON
07-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey thanks for telling me about the custom job you did It looks real good. you should also put pics of the doors with out the plastic crap off there...unless you already have and i don't know about it. Oh and don't forget to remind josh about that 100bucks he owes you :P

trialsrider
07-06-2007, 11:16 PM
anyone try this yet? if anyone in the seattle region wants it done, i'll help.

ADRdesignCo
07-06-2007, 11:20 PM
looks good man :) :clap:

mikemann
07-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Did it last night...Really easy. Thanks so much for showing us this great trick! Came out wonderful.

STNC
07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
That looks really good, im not a fan of where they are placed, i think they should be like the tC, on the inside of the armrest.

bBlover
07-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Looks nice. May I ask why you moved it??

mikemann
07-07-2007, 05:57 AM
I moved it because I hated where it was stock. My ipod didn't really fit in that little storage hole, I didn't like the fact it was out and exposed. I also didn't like the way the wires were all exposed as well. This fixed all that. It's all tucked away neat in the glove box.

You don't need to mess with your ipod when it's connected...no reason for it to be out in my opinion.

matic
07-15-2007, 07:07 AM
How do you take off the two plastic push bolts at the lower sides of the center console? I tried to get them off tonight, but I feel like I'm going to break or scratch something if I use too much force especially since I don't really know how it's supposed to come off.

tCtCtC
07-15-2007, 07:20 AM
:clap:

mikemann
07-15-2007, 08:06 AM
the two plastic pop rivets were a little tricky till you figure them out...

just push in the center with the tip of a screwdriver. they will pop out.

puch them back to flush on re-install.

optikinescant
07-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Any example photos of this installed in the arm rest?

trialsrider
07-15-2007, 12:18 PM
would like to see pics in the armrest as well, although that space is a premium for me. still have to do my wifes xb. in my neck of the woods, if you leave the cable out, thieves see it and want to know what else is in there. that and i'm obsessive about hidden i.c.e.

timmer357
07-15-2007, 12:35 PM
anyone try this yet? if anyone in the seattle region wants it done, i'll help.

I wish I was just a bit closer to you trialsrider. Eugene to Seattle seems a little far for me to drive just because I am a mechanical moron. Let me know if you are going to be south anytime soon :bow:

Whispaz
07-15-2007, 02:31 PM
niiice

matic
07-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the tip mikemann!

I plan to install the connectors into the center armrest compartment and in order to cut out the holes nicely, I want to completely remove the center console. However, I've removed all the bolts, screws and clips that need to be removed and the center console is completely loose, but the pigtail wires for the iPod and Aux connectors seem to be clipped and/or taped near the cubby hole which is preventing me from removing the console. I'm having trouble removing the clips to free the console. Does anyone know how to properly remove these wires from being clipped/taped onto the center console?

mikemann
07-16-2007, 06:43 AM
The ipod connector and aux housing will just pop out. Take a small flat blde screwdriver and just lightly get under the little square housing, it will come out.

Then you can unplug the connectors from behind the receptacles and take the whole arm rest out.

Good luck trying to get the arm rest apart in peices though...My original plan was to do what you wanted, but I could not get into the interior of the center arm rest well enough from underneath. It didn't feel like I could get a dremel or hot knike to it well enough to make it clean looking.

matic
07-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks.

So you ended up putting the connectors in the glove box then?

mikemann
07-16-2007, 05:30 PM
yeah there is 4 screws 2 on each side of the armrest but it still wouldn't separate. There are two more screws inside...still couldn't get it to separate.

So I sort of gave up on the idea of doing it in the armrest. Then I saw this post...I really like the glovebox better.

My opinion is you don't need to see or touch your ipod while it's connected to the stereo and since the armrest space is so small why give up any more of it. The glove box is huge and has plenty of space for it.

timmer357
07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Anyone take pics of the process yet? For those of us less than skilled in the custom shop, I would like to see some pics before attempting. Mainly just the removal of the console around the shifter and the center console. Thanks in advance

mikemann
07-25-2007, 06:25 PM
search for a post from xbfred, he's got a ton of pics when he did his deadening in his xb. It helped me when I did my whole xb in second skin.

timmer357
07-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Okay, found that thread and will review it if needed during the relocation. My questions are these:

1. Do you have to take the center console completely off to fish these parts out?
2. Pulling the shifter housing off, easy and no bolt, right?
3. Once things are somewhat gone, can I just fish (used twice now) the cord under the carpet to avoid screwing with it?

Thanks everyone for any help.

1tC2NV
07-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Nice J.O.B.

mikemann
07-25-2007, 07:48 PM
1.) I don't think you do. You can disconnect the ipod connectors from their housings fairly easy without having to remove the center console. You will have to pull up the cupholders.

but in the same regard. The center console is all of three bolts and two snap connectors. It's painless.

2.) The shifter housing top will come off. It's probably the hardest things of the bunch it took a little time because I went slow and did not want to snap anything.

The skirt around it underneath is held on by two bolts. I personally think this needs to come off to do this. You need to route the wire back this direction.

3.) Just route the cord back up through the shift console and over to the glovebox. It's a peice of cake.

Get out in your car, look under the glovebox, heck even pull it out. You will get a much better sense of what your doing and up against.

To me the wire part was nothing. I was more concerned abou making the cuts in the glove box. Measure 20 times, cut short if you need to, you can always cut more you can't add plastic back.

timmer357
07-25-2007, 11:42 PM
I am getting the idea as I read more, but there is no better way to learn than digging right in. I will be doing this "mod" this weekend and my replacement plugs for the holes should be here by then.

matic
07-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Does anyone have the part number to the plastic cap covers that cover up the spaces where the existing iPod and Aux jacks go? I went to a Toyota dealership and they had trouble finding which part was correct. Also, they only found it in dark grey and I'm pretty sure the covers are black.

XBFred
07-26-2007, 10:09 PM
was one page 1 of the thread.. good luck

got the blockoff p#---55539-52060-b0 cover, spare sw. good luck and enjoy!

matic
07-26-2007, 11:01 PM
ah, missed that. Thanks!

timmer357
07-26-2007, 11:14 PM
I kind of started the project today. Some of these fasteners are sort of a pain being that I cannot see how they "release". Once I got a couple, it has gone smoother however. I am down to taking the right side cover of the shift column off and so far it is a pain...but I haven't had much time to dig in.

Should be all rapped up tomorrow so thanks for all the help everyone (I am working all week so I just chip away at it at night after my wife and kid go to bed).

mikemann
07-27-2007, 05:37 AM
yeah I had trouble with some of the fastners too. I just too a pair of needle nose pliers and got beneath the wires onto the plastic clips and pried them up.

timmer357
07-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Having some trouble with the right side of the shift housing/center console (front) area. It has been dark outside while I have been working on it and I know there is a screw somewhere, but still having issues. I need to take photos of the progress to help others.

mikemann
07-27-2007, 08:27 AM
there are screws up top.

You have to take the top silver trim piece off and there are screws under this to remove. This whole piece will pull away then.

trialsrider
07-27-2007, 12:01 PM
wow mike, thx for taking up the slack on this!! have been out with acl replacement, and not feeling up to cruising the net. back in the swing of things so doing the wifes xb this weekend, so will take detailed pics thru disassembly for everyone. this is such a needed mod, and fairly detailed it deserves it.

timmer357
07-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Trialsrider, thought you were driving down here to Eugene to do mine?

Anyway, I have the front of the shift housing (lower part), the top silver "trim" piece, and the center console removed. Going out to work on the right side here in a bit...confirming I need to unscrew those top two screws alongside the shifter? I did it already and things didn't seem to budge. I will put some muscle and finesse behind it and try again.

mikemann
07-27-2007, 05:23 PM
That trim skirt around the bottom of the shifter sort of "plugs" in. Just give it a firm yank and it will pop off.

timmer357
07-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Okay, I got everything done except cutting the holes and figuring out how to securing affix it to the back of the glove box. I have some zip ties, some of those squares to attach ties to, and if needed a little household cement (shouldn't need). I am going to take the advice and cut very small and "expand" on that if needed.

Honestly the hardest part of this "mod" is figuring out where and how to remove all the tape or fasteners holding the wires in place. Cut the tape ones and hank the others if you can't get to the back of them.

Thanks Trialsrider and Mike :bow:

matic
07-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Nice timmer357. I'm looking forward to your pics! :P

trialsrider
07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
good job, timmer, now you're not timid..... :P could'nt drive for 2 weeks, and now you're done. crappy timing, huh!?! :lalala:

mikemann
07-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I found if you cut the holes a bit on the small side you don't need anything else to secure them in. I just went a little small on the knocking out the holes and then slowly shaved away what I needed to.

They sort of snap into place. I tried doing a ziptie on the back but it didn't seem like it was really going to accomplish much. So I just left them as is.

Honestly, once the cable is plugged in and in the glove box, you really won't remove much if at all. The disconnecting will be done at the ipod side anyways.

Congrats on making the move. It's tough to yank those first fiew pieces of trim, but once you do it, it's a piece of cake though right?

timmer357
07-27-2007, 07:56 PM
I am totally done!!! Thanks again all... :bow:

Anyway, I cut the IPOD hole too small and did the slow shaving. It finally snapped into place. The AUX plug I made a template and cut. It is just a TINY (I mean tiny) bit too big as there is the littlest amount of play. It looks fairly "factory" other than I didn't get the mounts exactly level but no one else can probably tell. I will post some pics later.

timmer357
07-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Another tip regarding this project...go order the small plugs at least a few days before you need them. My Toyota dealership cannot get them for about 5 to 7 days because the nearest warehouse does not have them.

Anyway, here are a few quick pictures. First, what one of the snaps we have been referring to looks like. Most of the plastic connectors involved in the project remove the same way. Pinch from the back and they are off.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/timmer357/z-PB0042.jpg

Secondly, the two screws you have to remove for the right side of the front console.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/timmer357/Z-pb0052.jpg

Lastly, the finished product.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/timmer357/Z-pb006.jpg

My end result was even better than expected. I routed and attached the cables in a manner that somehow (on accident) creates some resistance to the glove box "falling" open. It is almost like mine has a hydraulic assist lowering it 8)

Ricetoaster
07-28-2007, 04:21 AM
I just post a DIY for relocating the plug to inside the armrest...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=186170&highlight=