Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Trouble with Premium Radio - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Trouble with Premium Radio - Suggestions?

Bought a 2008 xB last weekend, already had the premium radio installed. We compared it to the stock system and decided it had a much better sound (both set to xB on the equalization), so we took it.

Not even 500 miles into owning it, the speakers made a loud POP! and we lost two channels. Turned the car off, and the next time we started up, the speakers were fine. It's done it several times since then. There doesn't seem to be a connection with how loud the stereo is (although the louder it is, the quicker it goes) or which channels go (at least one, sometimes all), and each time we power off the car (not the stereo) and restart, the speakers recover.

The dealership is willing to replace it (I just have to drive 2+ hours to get there - we're rural), if I have the trouble again. I'll call Monday morning and schedule it... but I'm wondering if it's a Pioneer problem or if we're just the manufacturing "expected failure".

Any ideas what's caused this? Are we just in for more problems with this model of stereo?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have not seen any other posts with that problem. No other wide spread problem with any of the Scion installed units as far as I know.

Your issue sounds like it may be heat related. Your description sounds like when some component heats up to the right temp, pop.

I would definitely get it replaced. I think it should be fine after you replace it since there have been no other reports of that kind of problem. That has to make the owners of those units a little uncomfortable though.

It should make SouthEast Toyota really nervous since they installed the premium stereo in every single xB in their region.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 AM
SL Member

I have also experienced this issue. You described it perfectly. I was really freaked out because it sounded like blown speakers. Then I went out the next morning to take it straight to the dealer and it was fine. So now I am just waiting to take it in till my appointment on Tuesday.

Did you get this resolved? Was there a definitive answer?
Old 08-04-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by medullaman
I have also experienced this issue. You described it perfectly. I was really freaked out because it sounded like blown speakers. Then I went out the next morning to take it straight to the dealer and it was fine. So now I am just waiting to take it in till my appointment on Tuesday.

Did you get this resolved? Was there a definitive answer?
No answer yet. We've been traveling - had the dang thing cut out 10 times in the last 2000 miles.

I did call the dealership three times (Centennial Scion in Las Vegas, NV) but was disconnected, returned to the receptionist, and ignored when I left a msg. Today I went online and submitted a request for service. We'll see what happens. It's hard to get service when it's intermittent.

I'm tired of pulling off the freeway to get my sound back!!!

What about you? Any luck?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:03 PM
SL Member

not just yet. I was not sure I was going to keep that system and it only did it once. It seems to be happening much more often now so I will be taking it back to the dealer to have them diagnose it. But you are right it is tough to get them to act on it f it is not "broken right now" but maybe I am wrong and they will have an answer. I am gona call them on Monday to set up an appointment. I will post up any new info I get.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by medullaman
I am gona call them on Monday to set up an appointment. I will post up any new info I get.
Sounds great! I'll do the same. Surely we're not the only two with this issue?!
Old 08-04-2007, 05:19 PM
SL Member

I am just glad I have not upgraded any speakers yet. I almost did that last weekend. Know I think I will wait till this issue is resolved
Old 09-28-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Resolved

Well, after pulling a few teeth, and getting the general manager involved...

...and offering to have the service tech ride in our car with us the 145 miles back home to experience the problem first-hand, the service writer (who I'm sure saw my swirling eyes and desperately wanted to avoid an explosion) ordered us a new stereo on Sept. 1. They put it in on Sept. 8 - and we haven't had a lick of trouble since.

Soooo... as long as you can GET service, it does seem to be the stereo that's defective.

Glad that's over.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:35 AM
SL Member

I had forgotten about this because it has not happened to me in quite a while. Glad to hear there is a resolution out there if I need it.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Trouble with Premium Radio - Suggestions?

I'm having the same issue. The dealership tells me that they have looked at it (twice now) and can not find anything wrong. They did tell me to JUST bring it in when it does it, so that they can hear it. Of coruse it never happens when I anywhere near a dealership. just my luck.

J-mo whats the name of the dealership and may be I can get them out hear to replace mine
Old 09-30-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am having the same issue. The speakers pop and then this hiss. When they pop I am afraid that it's gonna pop the speakers. I have only had this thing 3 weeks. It's kind of random when it happens. I am hoping scion does a recall on them. It would make it less of a pain in the ___ to deal with service that way.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Trouble with Premium Radio - Suggestions?

Originally Posted by gmioni1979
I'm having the same issue. The dealership tells me that they have looked at it (twice now) and can not find anything wrong. They did tell me to JUST bring it in when it does it, so that they can hear it. Of coruse it never happens when I anywhere near a dealership. just my luck.

J-mo whats the name of the dealership and may be I can get them out hear to replace mine
The dealership nearest us is called Centennial Scion - it's located in Las Vegas. Maybe you can have your dealership in Phoenix (an assumption here) contact them as to a fix.

It's beginning to "sound" like a southwestern-prevalent kinda thing!

BTW, our replaced system is causing NO TROUBLE now.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member

My stereo did this, this afternoon as well. First time
Old 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Trouble with Premium Radio - Suggestions?

Originally Posted by J-Mo
Originally Posted by gmioni1979

The dealership nearest us is called Centennial Scion - it's located in Las Vegas. Maybe you can have your dealership in Phoenix (an assumption here) contact them as to a fix.

It's beginning to "sound" like a southwestern-prevalent kinda thing!

BTW, our replaced system is causing NO TROUBLE any longer.

Thanks for the info. I going to call the dealership tomarrow cause it just did it again this morning
Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone else still having this problem? Mine has started to do it more. And the thing never does it at the dealer.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Mine did it again and of cousre the dealership could not find anything wrong. But after a few different trip and talking with the service manger, they ordered me a new head unit.