View Full Version : A/C knobs LED swap

Ricetoaster
08-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Has anyone taken apart the console around the A/C controls? I want to change all the LEDs in the dash and I haven't figured out how to get under the A/C controls.

Noodles5666
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Contact DaSaint80 he has done mine and his.

avus
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
forget the LED swap, i want to know how to get the automatic climate control units like they have for the ist in japan
looks like a simple swap

http://www.carview.co.jp/magazine/photo_impression/2007/toyota_ist/images/11_l.jpg

Ricetoaster
08-09-2007, 11:01 PM
simple? the shifter is down about a foot.

Whispaz
08-10-2007, 07:27 AM
what car is that in the pic?

tCtCtC
08-10-2007, 07:30 AM
looks like a jdm xd...

SquallLHeart
08-10-2007, 08:26 AM
the new ist... actually.

which is our xD.

Ricetoaster
08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Thread Jack!!! lol j/k,... well I'm just going to start taking stuff apart. I should eventually get to those knobs.

Ricetoaster
08-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Well I got to the knobs pretty easy, I didn't have time to take apart the knobs to get to the LEDs though. I'll have to finish later.

jimmbomb
08-12-2007, 05:54 PM
how are you comming along with this job, ricetoaster???,,, got pic of the 'take apart'??? thanks.. jh

avus
08-13-2007, 06:44 AM
ha, sorry about the threadjack action -- i just got excited seeing those gauges on the ist

good to hear you were able to take things apart easily. i took everything apart on mine to paint some trim pieces -- this xB is a big LEGO car, simple

ExcelRevs
08-13-2007, 08:08 AM
THREADJACKED!

Ricetoaster
08-13-2007, 01:01 PM
np. Yeah the xB really is made to take apart, I had the whole dash apart in a couple minutes. That would taken me a hour or so in my last car.

Ricetoaster
08-13-2007, 07:04 PM
ok, got into the knobs. The a/c controls are just like the 1st gen xB; there is a small bulb with a orange rubber cover. I'm not sure if anyone can find rubber covers in such a small size, but I imagine the bulb can be painted. There is a small LED in the button,... probably 2-3mm dome LED.

I also took apart the stock radio and the setup is pretty much the same as the 1st gen. 32 SMD LEDs and two 2-3mm LEDs.

dasaint80
08-23-2007, 02:06 AM
Yeah, you can buy Neowedge LED from Here (http://autolumination.com/74.htm). They work great and bright as stock ones.

lvbitwiz
08-24-2007, 05:02 AM
Yeah, you can buy Neowedge LED from Here (http://autolumination.com/74.htm). They work great and bright as stock ones.

And thank you again Dsaint :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: you're almost making it too easy for me to finish my swaps. :D

dasaint80
08-24-2007, 05:30 AM
np

jimmbomb
08-25-2007, 01:28 PM
So rice toaster... i want to move onto this project to.. can you post a simple DIY with some pictures on HOW TO get those led boards out of there?? thanks...
Also... dasaint... i went to your link for Neowedge..
lots to choose from.. can you point us to the correct led's to buy from them for our a/c controls?? thanks dude....

Ricetoaster
08-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Jimm, I'm still practicing switching out the small LEDs so I'm not gonna be doing the LED swap for a little while. Well here are at least a couple tips to help out.

You have to take off the pill area around the radio and the silver piece around the shifter. There is one screw left of the radio holding the dashboard on, take it out. Then, the A/C control panel can be pulled out; it's a little hard to pull it out from under the dashboard on the left side so you kinda have to coerce it.

Also, go to the link in desaint's post. Scroll down to the 9th spot of bulbs, it has type A, B, or C. I'm not sure which type is the right one... so you'll have to measure the ones you take out (unless someone else here knows). The bulbs can actually be taken out from the back of the knobs with a screwdriver, but to change the LEDs in the center button you have to take the whole knob apart.

jimmbomb
08-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, RT.......

Ok I asked Steve (dasaint), & he says.."type B"..... so now I ordewr them... sweeet..
RT... you wanna doo a DIY with some pictures while I wait for my bulbs?? thanks.. jh

Ricetoaster
08-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a feeling it's type B, but I'm not 100% sure without taking apart the knob again.

jimmbomb
08-25-2007, 09:59 PM
see my prior 'edited' post, Ricetoaster...
also would you consider taking a few pictures of your removal?? to help with a DIY?? thanks...ps.. Type B....... jh

DaSaint is DaMan!!!

Ricetoaster
08-28-2007, 02:38 AM
School has started and it takes some time to take every thing apart for this mod. I don't really have time to take everything apart with out actually doing the mod. It's really not too hard to take every thing apart... the only screw is behind the piece around the radio and A/C vents, every thing else is just pulled out.

jimmbomb
08-28-2007, 03:17 AM
ok Rice.......... thanks.. Now I got the led's comming in probally weds or thurs.... now just to practice. I got the unit out & hanging out in the open... thanks for your info so far......... what I nede to know is this.. can you remember how to remove the bulbs for replacement.. Am i right to think that there is only 1 (one) bulb for each of the controls?? AND they are located within easy reach as far as you DO NOT have to dissamble the entire knob assembly??
I am only wanting to do the 'ring of blue light' around the center buttons.. i DO NOT want to change out the center light, just the surrounding lighting.. Is it only one bulb?? & easy to get to?? like swapping without soldering??? thanks for your help, man!!! just this one more thing & I'll be forever in your debt! thanks agian... jh

Ricetoaster
08-29-2007, 01:15 AM
If you look on the back of the unit behind each knob there is a hole in the center. The bulb can be removed from that hole... if I remember correctly, you can put a flat head screw driver in there and turn. The bulb is on a base that locks in, so you just take that one out and pop the new one in and lock it back in.

So to answer your question, you should be able to change the bulb without taking the whole knob apart.

jimmbomb
08-29-2007, 01:39 AM
thanks RT!!!!!! cool as a cucumber!!!!l......jh

jimmbomb
08-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Dont Do It Like This!I took out the stock bulbs...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1188285/Stock.JPG

Removed the orange 'slip cover'

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1188285/Paint.JPG

painted the bulbs blue with my touch up paint..

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1188285/AllDone.JPG

Put them back in & WALLAAAAAAA
YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!!
They are no where nears any bright at all!!! SUPER DIM ! ! !sssssssooooooo.
This is NOT the way to do this..... Iknow.. I tried it.......
I put the Neo Wedge type B's in for now till I can get a brighter soultion!!!..
thanks for reading... jh

PS. I orderd 6 of the neowedges in case I messed any up! Fortunatly, I did ok.. So I have 3 extra.. If you are interested in getting them from me, PM me & you can mail me a 10$ bill & I'll mail them to ya!!!.. (blue)....
Only 2 tools were neded for this swap.. a phillips & a real small straight screwdriver.. thanks agian.. jh

Ricetoaster
09-02-2007, 04:05 AM
The neo wedge LEDs aren't bright enough or are the painted ones not bright enough?

jimmbomb
09-02-2007, 04:30 AM
the painted ones are not bright!!! you cant even see them at all....
the neowedges are the best so far.........
unless you want to pull the knobs apart & solder in LEDMONDS Kit... he wants $45 for (3)-4LED clusters. & they have to be soldered in AFTER you take the knob apart.. The neo wedges you know are just a simple un-screw & replace.. No need to take the knob apart.....
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1188285/neo.JPG
taken just minutes ago!! you be the judge.....
I got 3 more of these bulbs, RT if you want em.. I will stick with these till something else more affordable comes along.. these are more than adequate IMHO.... good luck.. jh

lvbitwiz
09-09-2007, 04:02 AM
Fun stuff to swap, but I was tearing down my dash for some minor paint work anyway.

Stock

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/bitwiz/hvac011.jpg

Stock with the orange 'condoms' removed

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/bitwiz/hvac025.jpg

Blue LED (which was what I was aiming for) and yes, Type B

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/bitwiz/hvac019.jpg

jimmbomb
09-09-2007, 04:20 AM
sweeetness........... hey i want info on changing the leds in my stock radio......... dammmn if I cant find anything...... good job on the swap!!! jh

ominousinc
09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
lvbitwiz, where do you find ytpe B blue LEDs?

jimmbomb
09-11-2007, 12:27 AM

http://autolumination.com/74.htm
Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs Type A, B & C

about halfway down the page

(Note to choose the correct bulb, measure the diameter of the base)

Type A Type B Type C
8mm= 5/16" 10mm= 3/8" 12mm= 15/32"

Choose type B

I have 3 extras if you want me to mail them to you... PM me... jh

lvbitwiz
09-11-2007, 01:38 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said

Zlog
09-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Raaaah!

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/3252/11lvd6.jpg

I used my powers over space and time to make this car american.

Apparently the Japenese get push button start, auto climate control, and a slightly nicer looking radio.

That climate control takes the ugly out of the waterfall for me.

Sorry for the hijack :\

Also, thanks for the walkthrough on the LED Swap! I've been wanting to brighten them LEDs up a bit :)

As for painting the bulbs i have an easy solution that i used in my 06 xB.

Head over to your crafts store and get some stained glass pens. Just coat your bulb once or twice depending on the color and you're good to go. No fading, no chipping or cracking, and to get it off, you just use draw on it again with the same pen and wipe it off. The pen ink will actually dissolve the dried ink if you do it right :)

LEDmod
09-20-2007, 08:07 PM
LED Neo bulb seems to work, but doesn't light fully...
It's more of spot light...

If you want it do it right.. this is the way to go...
It's using 4 LED (180 degree viewable LED) in a cluster per control....
That's what make its light up all evenly....
These were taken at daytime.. with some pillows covering up the surrounding...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/seanyiya/Scion/xB2/xB2-HVAC02.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/seanyiya/Scion/xB2/xB2-HVAC03.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/seanyiya/Scion/xB2/xB2-HVAC01.jpg

uberspeed
09-21-2007, 02:18 AM
When are you going to update your site with the xB2 stuff?
Also... it's "Accepted" not Accpeted :P

LEDmod
09-21-2007, 08:39 AM
When are you going to update your site with the xB2 stuff?
Also... it's "Accepted" not Accpeted :P
I've been pushing off the xB2 recently, but custom gauge face for xB2 I can make them anytime....

kezz
09-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Are the icons on the gauges actually clear or white? I realize the 3rd nob to the right for the "AC Temp" (dial #3) is colored Red and Blue, but the Icons for vent select(#1) and digits for fan speed(#2)...

AKA can I buy any colored bulb and have the first two dials illuminate that color or will the colored be skewed from the dials plastic...?

worded terribly Im sure.

jimmbomb
09-23-2007, 01:57 PM
all the icons are white. They should change color when yuo change your bulb color.... jh

OmenLW
10-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Fun stuff to swap, but I was tearing down my dash for some minor paint work anyway.

so did this light them evenly and bright enough?
similar to stock brightness?

jimmbomb
10-16-2007, 01:41 AM
look at page 2 , & lvbitwiz's posting with his pictures.. You decide...!! I have them just like his & I am satisified.. They could be a tad brighter, this was less that 10 dollars 7 a simple bulb swap with no taking the knobs apart. For 40$ you can buy a kit from LEDmod & dissamble your knobs ALL THE WAY. & solder the kit in, then YES you can get them brighter.. I didnt want to pull the knobs apart.. You dont have to totally dissamble the know to do this simple bullb swap, but what you see is what your get.. & you can get it for less than 10 dollars.. Now i would gladly pay 40 for the swap, but i dont trust myself to totally dissasemble all 3 knob controllers... good luck.. jh

LEDmod
10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
look at page 2 , & lvbitwiz's posting with his pictures.. You decide...!! I have them just like his & I am satisified.. They could be a tad brighter, this was less that 10 dollars 7 a simple bulb swap with no taking the knobs apart. For 40$ you can buy a kit from LEDmod & dissamble your knobs ALL THE WAY. & solder the kit in, then YES you can get them brighter.. I didnt want to pull the knobs apart.. You dont have to totally dissamble the know to do this simple bullb swap, but what you see is what your get.. & you can get it for less than 10 dollars.. Now i would gladly pay 40 for the swap, but i dont trust myself to totally dissasemble all 3 knob controllers... good luck.. jh
Doing my way is so much more difficult, but if you are anal like me.. I would go little bit further......

Maybe I can do like core replacement...
I can buy few extra knobs and swap them out and have customer return the core.....

jimmbomb
10-16-2007, 11:58 PM
good idea led mod.. or else post a DIY with pics to aid in the know dissasembly. i would do it your way if you could show us how to get it apart & back together agian..... but I dont want to venture out un-aided... thanks for the reply... jh

LEDmod
10-17-2007, 02:00 AM
It was kind of annoying to take them apart....
I'm going to redo the knobs to white LED... so next time I'll take some more pictures for DIY people....

xbbox
10-23-2007, 04:58 AM
What's the best way to make these white to make my other gauges that I'm doing in white?

LEDmod
10-23-2007, 05:14 PM
What's the best way to make these white to make my other gauges that I'm doing in white?
Unfortunatly... there is no "BEST" way...

It's either easy installation using neo bulb but it's not bright and uneven lighting..
OR harder installation but bright and even lighting...

Another simple way is to paint the stock filament bulb, but it will fade over time...

DJ_FroZone
10-23-2007, 10:24 PM
SOOOO AWESOUME

jimmbomb
10-24-2007, 12:29 AM
The STOCK bulbs, as seen in the pics in prior posts in this thread, have an ORANGE 'condom' over the stock white bulb.. making them glow Orange... All you have to do is to remove the orange 'condom' & then you'll have WHITE ones!! easy & cost you nothing!! try it.. & take a picture of it & show us what you got!!!. Remember.... your stock bulbs are "WHITE"... just remove the orange cover....
good luck.. jh

LEDmod
10-24-2007, 12:35 AM
You gotta say warm white... :D
Not the pure white people are looking for....

jimmbomb
10-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Point taken... BUT at least he could remove the condoms, put them back in & see if he likes it or not.. Thanks for pointing that out, 'warm vrs, pure... LEdmod..... So do you have a kit ready for the P R N D S - + plate yet???... jh

DJ_FroZone
10-24-2007, 04:16 AM
just need to know how to get to those damn bulbs idk how to take apart the dash only the PRNDL part

what about

http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

these bulbs look to be the same as the type b lights just cheaper. the instrument cluster ones... am i wrong?

LEDmod
10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
just need to know how to get to those damn bulbs idk how to take apart the dash only the PRNDL part

what about

these bulbs look to be the same as the type b lights just cheaper. the instrument cluster ones... am i wrong?
Thos don't fit for the xB2 Climate control knob

DJ_FroZone
10-24-2007, 11:11 AM

what about

Thos don't fit for the xB2 Climate control knobthank u glad i aksed before i bought. are there any on that site that r the right size?

miketf1
12-02-2007, 03:56 AM
i got confused with all the posts of success so i pm-ed jimmbomb. and i got a wonderful response!

Dude.. that is a very long thread & you MUST read every post & re-read it 3 times before you start agian on this project.
I like you broke one of the peices that holds the biggggasss knob on, so when I finally got it done, I used elmers glue where the peice broke,(temp dial), & now its holding good...
ok.. you probally missed this point..
after you take out the radio surround & the small long peice underneath... you see a screw to the left side bottom radio in the dash..
That 1 screw is holding down the dash between the radio & steering wheel..
You probally DID NOT remove that screw & then 'pop' out that part of the dash OUT & AWAY from the vehicle..
When you pop that part out, (It will not come off, but just stick out some about an inch) just enough for you to get the LEFT side of the A/C control panel out!!!!!
& you know already how to get the right side of the A/C panel out, & just be carefull removing the 'temp' & 'vent direction' black knobs from behind.
There are 2 clips each holding those knobs in the silver bracket. Find which one you broke & after you get all your new bulbs straight & working, then put it back together & put a dab of glue in the broken part & let it sit 'UNTOUCHED' for at least 12 hours.
good luck... & I dont blame you for doing this project yourself & breaking your ride.. It happens to the best of us. We are only human & humans make mistakes...
That's what these forums are for.. to ask questions & to share answers to questions that YOU know the answer to.. jh

lesson of the day: read and read and read. then read it again and dont brute force everything!
thanks thanks thanks jimmbomb! :clap:

:edit: one more success story! crappy pics cause apparently cybershot doesnt mean crap to sony ericsson...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_tseng/2082634141/

noservice2001
12-03-2007, 01:45 PM
size a b or c for the 08?

miketf1
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
http://autolumination.com/74.htm
Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs Type A, B & C
Choose type B

jimmbomb
12-04-2007, 12:24 AM
good job.!!!! miketf1... ... ya got it done!!! & thanks for helping out !!!! jh

fairladyz541
12-04-2007, 04:22 AM
I was talking with some of the guys here at one of the Vegas meets and I want to get my 08 xB done.....................I think.........

What would it cost me?

noservice2001
12-04-2007, 01:53 PM
o good job miketf1 .... us old folks....our eyes.... too many words y'know?

:P

and they're quite inexpensive fairladyz541...

FlyinLow
12-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Good morning all!

Yesterday I purchased the LED conversion kit for the Gauge cluster as well as the HVAC controls. Since I did a full LED conversion on the HVAC controls in my Gen1 xB (made my own), I don't think that this will end up being that bad. I will take some photos of the disassembly of the knobs once I figure it out.
I will also see what I can do to get the PRND plate out too.

cc
________

I am not driving fast, I am just FlyinLow...

FlyinLow
12-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to note that I bought the kits from Sean@LEDmod.com.

cc
________

miketf1
12-04-2007, 04:52 PM
from what i understand LEDMOD.com sells HVAC replacements? how much was that?

FlyinLow
12-04-2007, 04:57 PM
The kit itself cost me $50. It is for two blue LED clusters, one white cluster and the indicator LED's for the buttons as well as the Mode button on the steering wheel.
I don't think that Sean is doing a full exchange yet on the HVAC controls yet, but per his earlier post, I think that it is in the works.
If I am willing to disassemble the guages to do that soldering work, I don't think that it will be a big deal to do these too.

cc
________

jimmbomb
12-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I was talking with some of the guys here at one of the Vegas meets and I want to get my 08 xB done.....................I think.........

What would it cost me?
for 3 bulbs, delivered.... about 10 bucks.. & we'll help you put them inn yourself.. what part of Illinois are you in?? close to St Louis??.. I can help ya........ jh

jimmbomb
12-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Good morning all!

Yesterday I purchased the LED conversion kit for the Gauge cluster as well as the HVAC controls. Since I did a full LED conversion on the HVAC controls in my Gen1 xB (made my own), I don't think that this will end up being that bad. I will take some photos of the disassembly of the knobs once I figure it out.
I will also see what I can do to get the PRND plate out too.

cc
________

FlyinLow... have you figgued out how to take the knobs apart & solder in your new kit?? I am waiting till I see your photos & DIY.. I want to change over to LEDMON's kit too, but He wont do a DIY for it, just shows pics of the new lights, but not how to do it.. When I see yours & you convince me that it wasnt all that hard, then I will get me some too.. thanks & be carefull!!!
To Ledmon.. please consider doing a DIY & photos for your HVAC contols light kit for the 08 xB....

FlyinLow
12-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey Jimmbomb,

I haven't even cracked open the dash yet. I just have confidence that I can do it. I did my gen 1 with no problem, just a little soldering. I will take lots of pics and get them posted as soon as I can.

Wish me luck!

CC

jimmbomb
12-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Hey Jimmbomb,

I haven't even cracked open the dash yet. I just have confidence that I can do it. I did my gen 1 with no problem, just a little soldering. I will take lots of pics and get them posted as soon as I can.

Wish me luck!

CC OK, F-Low... GOOD LUCK!!! waiting for your follow uo w/Pictures & comments!!!

FlyinLow
12-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Thanks man!

cc

FlyinLow
12-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I AM AN A-HOLE! I am going to need someone's help.

So I got into the HVAC swaps yesterday... It really isn't that hard to disassemble the individual knobs. Nor to do the soldering. What is difficult is when you LOSE A FREAKING GEAR THAT GOES INSIDE THE TEMP CONTROL KNOB. What a MORON! I even did all of the disassembly and reassembly at the same desk, and that little bastard is GONE. Does anyone here work for a Scion parts department that can get me a new Temp Control Knob at a decent price?

Thanks!

cc

vertex
02-07-2008, 12:06 AM
I need help too... I tried to do this, but now my hot/cold isin't working, and the farthest left LED won't come on, and my A/C button doesn't do anything. I think I screwed up pretty hardcore. Anyone know why my hot//cold wouldn't be workin? Or the A/C button?

DJ_FroZone
02-07-2008, 03:27 AM
well the light may not work because the bulbs in the wrong way. as to why it now worky... make sure u hooked the right wires to the right spot

nvrmnd05
02-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Paint em with the hobby craft glass paint. I did it to my 1st gen xb and it faded after about 2 years I re did it no big deal. I also purchased some blue lightbulb "condoms" at Pep Boys, they can be applied to many of the bulbs, they work good for the ceiling bulb.

Whispaz
02-07-2008, 05:04 AM
FlyinLow- haha, sorry to hear. I didnt lose a gear but i guess i didnt line them up properly so my temp knob stops in the middle of the heat.

FlyinLow
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Guys,
I think that I can help both of you guys. I will advise in a couple of hours, where I can type it out on a pc rather than my phone.
I'll be back around 8:00am PST.

FlyinLow

FlyinLow
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey Vertex,

Like DJ Frozone said, you most likely have the polarity reversed on your LED leads, that's why they aren't working. There is one knob that has its polarity reversed compared to the other two.

As for the temp not working... you probably did the exact same thing that I did. When you reassembled the temp control know you were missing the cog (gear) that connects the outer ring of the temp knob to the internal ring gear that turns the post that controls the air temperature.

Unfortunately, if you cannot find it, you will need to buy an all new knob. Then pull the gear out of the new knob, and put it into the old one. Then you can proceed to making adjustments to ensure the knob operates correctly.

Hey Whispaz! Nice to hear you jumped in to doing this too. Here's what happened on yours... When you reassembly the knobs, invariably, you will not line up the teeth on the gears to the exact same spot as when you disassembled the knobs. What I finally had to do is pop the black ring (and front face) of the temp knob back off of the white housing. Then go back out to your car. Turn the black post that connects into the temp knob all the way to cold (all the way counter-clockwise with the post facing you). Next, turn you the INSIDE of the temp knob white housing so that it matches up with the black post. Now attach the black post back onto the white housing. Then the last step is to line up the black outer ring (make sure to turn it all the way to the left first!!! Then line it up evenly and snap it back onto the housing, You may have to pop the ring back off once to realign it, but that's it.

Let me know how it goes.

FlyinLow

jimmbomb
02-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Flyinglow to the rescue! good job!!!! jh

FlyinLow
02-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks man!

Here are a few fuzzy pics that I took with my phone yesterday of the car in progress:

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/d8/7d/d413_1_sbol.JPG

http://i22.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d8/7d/d353_1_sbol.JPG

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/d8/7d/d46c_1_sbol.JPG

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/d8/7d/d3b7_1_sbol.JPG

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d8/7d/d2ee_1_sbol.JPG

I will get better pics up asap. My SLR camera finally bit the dust.

FlyinLow

FlyinLow
02-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Hey Vertex,

I almost forgot, I have a guy at Frank Toyota/Scion in Chula Vista, CA that sold me the knob for only $32.00. That is about $20 less than my local dealer wanted. If you tell you local dealer that price, they may scoff, but they will match it. If they need the guys name at Frank Scion, it is Scott.

Good luck man!

FlyinLow

vertex
02-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks for your help bro! Now the hot/cold LED isisn't working, but I got the turning working on everything. Looks like I did have the gear, I'm not sure what the issue was. The downside is, now my hot/cold light isin't working, and for some reason the little gear pops out of it's position every once in a while, making it stick in some places, but it pops right back on track. I don't think it's supposed to do that. Might I have the gear in the hot/cold switched with the gear in the selection knob?

jimmbomb
02-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Thanks man!

Here are a few fuzzy pics that I took with my phone yesterday of the car in progress:

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/d8/7d/d413_1_sbol.JPG

http://i22.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d8/7d/d353_1_sbol.JPG

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/d8/7d/d46c_1_sbol.JPG

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/d8/7d/d3b7_1_sbol.JPG

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d8/7d/d2ee_1_sbol.JPG

I will get better pics up asap. My SLR camera finally bit the dust.

FlyinLow
Nice work Flying Low.... hey i read a few post up that you were gonna do a DIY about taking apart your knowb & soldering in the LEDMON's kit... Did you get that done, man?? it turned out great!!.. Also.. is that a LEDMON 180 dollar gauge face too?? looks supwer sweet, man!! good job!!... now.. tell us how to install that H/vac kit....!! .. ps you still need help getting your PRND+ - plate off??? jh

FlyinLow
02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Hey Vertex,

The two gears are very similar. I think the one for the vent control is a notch in it. I think the notch is what makes it stop at the right spots for vent control. You will have to make sure that one lines up too.

Did you try reversing the polarity of the LED that you installed in the temp control knob? If you did and it still doesn't work, you may have a dead LED.

Let me know how it goes.

FlyinLow

FlyinLow
02-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Hey Jimmbomb,

Thanks for the praise sir! Yes, that is a custom gauge face from Sean at LEDMOD.com. The quality of the gauge face is excellent. The icons and all of the numbers are smoked out when the car is off, but as soon as you start it, the face has the perfect blue glow. The needles are set up just over 1/16" off of the gauge face so that I can have that even blue flow from behind the needles.

For the record, the blue gauge LED's, the HVAC LED modules, the MODE button LED and the yet-to-be-installed Blue Radio Conversion Kit all came from LEDMOD.com. As for the shifter lighting, I was just waiting until the end of the month. I am sending the remaining silver painted pieces in the car along with the vent rings to Patterntek to get coated. I am sending those next week. So all of the lighting for the car should be done by the end of the month. By the way, I liked your idea about the LED strip lighting for the shifter light gully. So I went and picked one up at Pep Boys. Thanks for the tip!

The stereo LED swap out should be underway by next Wednesday (I am waiting for 1mm soldering tips to come in).

Not to threadjack, but the rest of my lighting parts will be in by next week from Oznium. I will post more pics when it all comes together.

Lastly, the DIY on the LED knob conversion... man, that was one frustrating job. What I think I'll do is next week, when I take the dash apart again, I will take pics of the install and put up the DIY within another week.

xbbox
02-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Here are mine from LEDMOD.com and my HVAC done in white led's!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/08%20xB%20PT2/CIMG2167.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/08%20xB%20PT2/CIMG2169.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/08%20xB%20PT2/CIMG2170.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/08%20xB%20PT2/CIMG2171.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/08%20xB%20PT2/CIMG2173.jpg

LEDmod
02-09-2008, 08:07 PM
It came out great...
Last week, I also did white LED conversion with that gauge face, it came out better then I've expected..

Can I use your pictures??

lvbitwiz
02-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Can I use your pictures??

say yes but ask for 90 bucks back on your purchase :rofl:

vertex
02-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Love the white LEDs!!!
I fixed my knobs, it ends up I lost the LED while I was putting everything back together last tome, so NOTHING was in it! :o haha. Anyways, I found it and put it in while I installed my cathode kit.
http://xbbryon.com/images/mods/interior_lights/00020-17.jpg
edit: these are results with just buying the LED replacement bulbs mentioned earlier. I tried to replicate the human eye in this photograph as much as I could. ISO is at 1600 and shutter speed is at 1/40 (human eye sees something close to 1/34, i believe) I'll be buying ledmod's kit once he gets a guide.

jimmbomb
02-10-2008, 02:48 AM
vertex says..."I'll be buying ledmod's kit once he gets a guide.""

There have been several requests for this 'guide' or a DIY from him & others, but no one will put one up..... hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm.............. jh

vertex
02-10-2008, 02:55 AM
I emailed Sean and he said he will have one soon.
It doesn't come with instruction...
But I'll be making a guide soon..

miketf1
02-10-2008, 02:58 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/08%20xB%20PT2/CIMG2173.jpg

im thinking of redoing mine with white also but it looks like your speedo/clock is blue? more pics/clarification? ace job tho!

LEDmod
02-10-2008, 04:58 AM
im thinking of redoing mine with white also but it looks like your speedo/clock is blue? more pics/clarification? ace job tho!
If you do white LED conversion on Reverse LCD screen..
Back ground lights up blue and letters/shapes light up white...
It's just how it is with white LED on that type of LCD screen..

xbbox
02-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah, what LEDmod said. For some reason the screen has a blueish tint to it, so with white LED's the screen is a blueish color and the numbers are bright white to match the rest. I'm going to try and get a better pic up for you.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/08%20xB%20PT2/CIMG2189.jpg

There's one a little better, but I'm still learning how to use my cam to get good night shots, so any help will be appreciated.

Oh, and it's kind of hard to tell, but I painted the silver piece around the gauges white to match the rest of the inside of my car.

miketf1
02-11-2008, 08:03 PM
thanks for the new pic! i can tell that the light blue tint might go well with the other blues that i have if i do swap out the leds for white.

and yes xbbox we know you painted it white. you posted a pic :P what piant did you use? i tryed to paint my hub caps with a "gloss black" and it came out like a black chalkboard :tap:

on a side note, it seems like this ledmod plate is quite popular. ive also have a set of these i put on a while back, but the plates are so expensive! $150 just seems too high. especially when i want to buy another one with a different style...

DJ_FroZone
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
any other places besides autolumination that i can get that type b bulb? my stock ones just burned out!

FlyinLow
02-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey DJ!

I don't know of any brick and mortar type stores that carry those bulbs.

Sorry man...

xbbox
02-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I used the Krylon Fusion white paint and it matches the Super White really good.

I also used the Krylon Fusion black on my hub caps and they came out pretty good as well. I've put about 10,000 miles on my car since I painted those and I only have a few chips in them from rocks.

DJ_FroZone
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey DJ!

I don't know of any brick and mortar type stores that carry those bulbs.

Sorry man...o well i guess i should be happy they haven't jacked the price on these

xbbox
02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Tell me if you think this would work. To cut down the look of the bluish tint a little bit, I was thinking about putting a piece of smoked vinyl or tint or something of the such in front of the 2 screens. Opinions?

miketf1
02-13-2008, 09:13 PM
I used the Krylon Fusion white paint and it matches the Super White really good.

I also used the Krylon Fusion black on my hub caps and they came out pretty good as well. I've put about 10,000 miles on my car since I painted those and I only have a few chips in them from rocks.

everyone has been saying kryon fusion but the damn idiots over at kragen and autozone dont know what that is...

thanks for the input! gotta go resand and repaint the hupcaps for the 3rd time with some proper paint :doh:

MauiGideon
03-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Ok im a total noob so I cant really find a step by step DIY in here... Can someone please post one? thanks!

jimmbomb
03-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Ok im a total noob so I cant really find a step by step DIY in here... Can someone please post one? thanks! where do yo live at?? mabey someone close can help you do yours that has done it before.. &&&& then you'se could snap pics & make a DIY while your're doing it.. just a thought... I would help someone do it if they are close to St Louis.. but I dont want to take mine apart agian just to do a DIY......... good luck, man......... jh

MauiGideon
03-29-2008, 02:30 AM
live in hawaii lol I just need 2 know how 2 disassemble the stuff around the guages... I got the molding around my car Radio Off... But now Im stuck after that

Like this...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc278/mauigideon/download.jpg

jimmbomb
03-29-2008, 02:38 AM
^^^^^^PM'ed.......^^^^

xseveredveganx
09-16-2008, 03:14 AM
Instead of using the neo-wedge bulb, I opted to scoop up some parts from Garage1217. I used these guys (http://store.garage1217.com/triple-led-wide-dispersion-74-wedge-bu74.html) and I got rid of the amber LED for the center button. I PM'd Garage1217 and he informed me that using the plain ol' PLCC2's work just dandy. And sure enough, they do!!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/xseveredveganx/100_0395.jpg

And just so you know, you have to remove the stock bulb by removing the wires from the holder. Then pull off the holder from the aforementioned part. Then remove the base of the aforementioned 3LED part, thread through the actual knob, then wrap the wires around the stock bulb base. It's a little tedious, but I have tiny needle nose and decent ingenuity. :D

LEDmod
09-16-2008, 06:57 AM
That #74 triple LED bulb prone to burn out..
I've used those years ago... most of them flicker or burn out...

xseveredveganx
09-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Oh no!!! We'll see. If they do, I'm out $7.

jimmbomb
09-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Instead of using the neo-wedge bulb, I opted to scoop up some parts from Garage1217. I used these guys (http://store.garage1217.com/triple-led-wide-dispersion-74-wedge-bu74.html) and I got rid of the amber LED for the center button. I PM'd Garage1217 and he informed me that using the plain ol' PLCC2's work just dandy. And sure enough, they do!!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/xseveredveganx/100_0395.jpg

And just so you know, you have to remove the stock bulb by removing the wires from the holder. Then pull off the holder from the aforementioned part. Then remove the base of the aforementioned 3LED part, thread through the actual knob, then wrap the wires around the stock bulb base. It's a little tedious, but I have tiny needle nose and decent ingenuity. :DHey xseverdveganx..... did they just pop right in there?? a simple swap?? I mean the #74 wedge bulbs???? thanks...... jh

xseveredveganx
09-17-2008, 01:10 AM
The triple LED #74 bulbs from Garage1217 didn't just pop in... I essentially used this DIY, (http://www.spdkilz.com/techtipleddoor.html)but the #74 triple LED has resistors already wired in. Also, the head of the LED doesn't go through the hole... So you'll have to thread the LED through the hole, then wrap the wires back around the OEM base.

Confused yet? :lol:

jimmbomb
09-17-2008, 01:18 AM
The triple LED #74 bulbs from Garage1217 didn't just pop in... I essentially used this DIY, (http://www.spdkilz.com/techtipleddoor.html)but the #74 triple LED has resistors already wired in. Also, the head of the LED doesn't go through the hole... So you'll have to thread the LED through the hole, then wrap the wires back around the OEM base.

Confused yet? :lol:WOW......... way too much work for me to handle or even attempt!
Kudo to you for doing it!!!!
Looks great!!!!
Wana hook me up?? hahha ha hahah thanks..........
jh

Garage1217
10-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Ummm no, they are not prone to burn out. I have had 8 of the on the bench at 14.4V for 3 months now and have them in my own car. 0 issues with these models. Out of 200+ that I have sold, I had a single dud at install and that customer was taken care of. Just because an led bulb looks like another, does not mean it is the same internally as I chose the components in my led bulbs for the manufacturer to build which is also why all of my bulbs are directional "meaning they can only be installed 1 way" as I had the simplify the guts to make them more reliable. There are a ton of manufacturers building led bulbs today, in fact you can even order the raw parts to build your own bulbs which I also stock such as the 194/168 bases.

And yes, the triple led #74 installed custom is the best overall somewhat easy to install bulb to make the hvac look super nice without all kinds of really dark spots.

xseveredveganx
10-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I need to order another one of the #74's. When I installed it, I twisted it too much and the resistor came off. So I soldered it back on. I didn't solder it back on where it was supposed to go, and now it's done. :( Nothing to do with the product, it's user error.
Excellent product! I'm happy with all of it!

jimmbomb
10-06-2008, 12:28 AM
hey xserv,,,,,,,,.......... would it be possible for you to do a 'how to' DIY on putting these bulbs in the holes.

i
I know that you have put the bulb in the hole first w/out the socket, then wrap the wires into the sicket..., right??? Well I am having trouble getting a visual on this......

thanks for any help and or pictures would be nice, bud!!!!!... thanks agian... jh

DJ_FroZone
02-02-2010, 06:07 PM
hey xserv,,,,,,,,.......... would it be possible for you to do a 'how to' DIY on putting these bulbs in the holes.

i
I know that you have put the bulb in the hole first w/out the socket, then wrap the wires into the sicket..., right??? Well I am having trouble getting a visual on this......

thanks for any help and or pictures would be nice, bud!!!!!... thanks agian... jh
yea???!!

xseveredveganx
02-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I could have definitely written a DIY... However, LEDMod was correct about the LED's burning out. First one set went out, then the second, then the third. They flickered and it was disco dance in my car for a month or so.

I HIGHLY recommend the full replacement pieces from AutoLumination. I've used them in my car and another swap I have performed. They work very well.

DJ_FroZone
02-03-2010, 04:06 AM
but whic one?
the smt II
japenese Oem
or the one after that says 30% brighter??

xseveredveganx
02-03-2010, 04:54 AM
but whic one?
the smt II
japenese Oem
or the one after that says 30% brighter??
About middle of the page (d*mn near middle) has a cool guy star and says:

"30% brighter than regular Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs Type A, B & C
(Note to choose the correct bulb, measure the diameter of the base)"

Type B, $3.49 apiece.

I think the "Japanese OEM" ones are new. I've been using the aforementioned units with absolutely 100% no problems. I may try the "Japanese OEM" ones...

xseveredveganx
02-03-2010, 04:55 AM
I also think the "SMT II Neo-Wedge LED's" are the same as the ones I have, but have two PLCC2 LED's. That's all the bulbs look like they have. Just a single PLCC2 LED.

Those little guys are briiiiiiiiight.

DJ_FroZone
02-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I also think the "SMT II Neo-Wedge LED's" are the same as the ones I have, but have two PLCC2 LED's. That's all the bulbs look like they have. Just a single PLCC2 LED.

Those little guys are briiiiiiiiight.
i think i might get the smt and one of the super star ones just to compare brightness. I'll leave the indicator light alone cause i'm not trying to resolder stuff again lol.

xseveredveganx
02-04-2010, 07:14 AM
The indicator lights are really easy. I just used a really sharp knife and cut the OEM LED off at the base. Of course I tested polarity with my digital multimeter first. Then I used some thin teeny needle nose pliers and gently pulled up on the leftover leg from the OEM LED. I squeezed the legs close together, placed a PLCC2 inbetween them, solder, done.

xtylerx
02-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I used 3mm LEDs in the center buttons to swap the amber ones out.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss207/xtylerx13/IMG_7066.jpg

ZombiePunk
02-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Now I know this may sound like a totally stupid question, but would changing these lights cause any problems when/if you take your car in for something service-related? Back when I had a VW and took it in, the service department people always gave me crap about changing interior lights and how it voids anything warranty-related to the interior lighting.

DJ_FroZone
02-18-2010, 01:15 AM
nah not unless ur dealers a dick. most of the time they were like thats so cool how u do it.

ZombiePunk
02-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Good to know.... thanks!