Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

XB2 fuel economy

Old 08-18-2007, 08:33 PM

Default XB2 fuel economy

Unless I see new posts to the contrary, it appears that the expected fuel economy for the XB2 is in the range of 24-26mpg for combined city and highway driving. I was hoping for more, as I am now in the market for a new vehicle. Unless a few people can give better actual reports, looks like maybe I should have bought one of the old models.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Larger/heavier+bigger engine=less MPG..........
Old 08-18-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It all depends on how you drive... On my commute which is half hilly suburban w/stop signs and half 50 mph highway with stoplights, my mileage varies a lot based on how much "red mist" I get.

I have managed 31.6 with a light foot, steady acceleration, and A/C off.

With the A/C on, heavy acceleration and aggressive driving, (friday coming home through traffic?) I have gotten as little as 23.6.

Compared the first gen, if both are driven lightly, the 2nd gen gets about 3 mpg less.

Driven heavily, the 2nd gen gets about 6 less...but you get there a lot faster.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM

Thanks Bigfieroman:

That is the well thought reply I was looking for. Hopefully others will chime in and report as well, as I think it will help many in the buying decision. I put the same question out on the XD forum as well. I would need many more replys on both forums, but it appears so far that the 2008 EPA calculations are not far off from realilty.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics

My '06 XB w manual gets no less than 29 w/ 50% city, A/C on & somewhat heavy foot.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm getting about 25 mpg with a combination of city and highway, but i have a light foot.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Forgot to mention, I have aK&N cold-air intake.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB2 Fuel Economy

We live in Asheville NC so this is not a big city with a lot of traffic. We are averaging over 30 mpg in the city. This is with easy acceleration. Only road milage was fron a trip that was around 100 miles when we first got the car and it was 34.4 mpg. This is probably not typical but it definitely can get good fuel economy. By the way, this is an automatic.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: xB2 Fuel Economy

Originally Posted by mickkassem
We live in Asheville NC so this is not a big city with a lot of traffic. We are averaging over 30 mpg in the city. This is with easy acceleration. Only road milage was fron a trip that was around 100 miles when we first got the car and it was 34.4 mpg. This is probably not typical but it definitely can get good fuel economy. By the way, this is an automatic.
Is this in the 2008? I noticed some others talking about their 06 and thought I would check.

My lease on my Tahoe is up the first of September and I've narrowed my choices of new vehicle down to the xB and a Rav 4. I am seriously leaning toward the xB. I was a bit disappointed in the lower fuel mileage, but understand they changed the motor and it is now heavier. I have a light foot and I only have heavy traffic in about the last 3-5 miles into work. the rest is 4 lane highway toward rural area, so I'm hoping I can get better mileage.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fuel Economy

The milage was for the 2008 xB. We have about 800 miles on it so far so not a lot of data. However, the numbers in the original post are correct. May be taking it on a short trip next week. If so, will not milage again. We have three cars and are retired so we don't put many miles on any of them.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Fuel MPG Normal XB2

I have an auto 2nd gen 08 xB. The traffic here in hawaii has been somewhat heavier than usual, but my questions are:

Is it normal for my auto xB with 500miles on it, to get merely 17 avg miles per gallon?

Is it abnormal that I haven't gotten 200miles on a tank of gas yet, although this is my 4th tank?

Should I wait longer, maybe i'm still at the "break-in" period?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated as I intend to bring it back to the dealer if the condition persists.

17mpg.. sigh, and all of you are getting over 20 at least.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: XB2 fuel economy

Originally Posted by Paschal
Unless I see new posts to the contrary, it appears that the expected fuel economy for the XB2 is in the range of 24-26mpg for combined city and highway driving. I was hoping for more, as I am now in the market for a new vehicle. Unless a few people can give better actual reports, looks like maybe I should have bought one of the old models.
If you want a fuel-efficient econobox like the Yaris, go with the XB1, if you want a Rabbit/Mazda 3 with GTI/Speed3 potential, go with the XB2. Personally I'd happily give up 2mpg for the ability to pass an 18 wheeler on a 2 lane or merge into traffic without risking life and limb but if those things aren't important to you, the Yaris or XB1 may better suit your needs.

BTW, I've been getting 22-30mpg from my XB2 with a 50/50 city/hwy average of 26mpg for the past 3000 miles and I have a very heavy right foot.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in the same boat as revoluzion...and will be very curious to see if my situation improves as I put some more miles on.

I have a xb2 with about 750 miles. I'm getting18-19mpg avg. according to the computer. I reset it after each fillup. I also just started tracking it manually by recording mileage and fuel put back in. It's matching the computer so far.

I'm not upset, I came from a GMC Sierra getting only 12-13 mpg.

I drive like 99% in the city. All Stop and Go. I drive about 5 miles back and forth from my house to work every day. I've honestly onlu had it on the expressway twice.

So I didn't expect to be in the high twenties, but I really had hoped to be north of it.

I hope it will get better with time and miles as the engine breaks in.

I'd like to get the new TRD CAI, but this guy with the AEM one and replies to that are spooking me.

-Mike
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member

I know the K&N Cold Air Intake on my manual '06 xB gave me more horespower, but I never paid much attention to the mileage since I usually got around 32-33 mpg city/highway.

However, i know my mpg will be lower with my '08 xB. Will a CAI give better gas mileage, or just more horsepower?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I GET 12-16 MPG WITH MY NEW XB WITH 2300 MILES BUT THATS ON WENSDAYS WHEN I DELIVER THE PAPER.LOL
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 AM

I get an average of 28 mpg. i don't really have a light foot most of the time however a lot of my commute is highway. Also a consideration would be altitude out here is only about 1k feet, the air is also super dry out here too. Highway i get about 36 w/the cruise set at 70-75. Can't complain when all the guys i work with are getting amywhere from 8-15 in their big, lifted trucks hehe.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
It all depends on how you drive... On my commute which is half hilly suburban w/stop signs and half 50 mph highway with stoplights, my mileage varies a lot based on how much "red mist" I get.

With the A/C on, heavy acceleration and aggressive driving, (friday coming home through traffic?) I have gotten as little as 23.6.

Compared the first gen, if both are driven lightly, the 2nd gen gets about 3 mpg less.

do you use regular grade [87] or medium grade [89] in your xB?

i have always felt i got a little more power from using medium grade, but i am trying regular for now...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Fuel MPG Normal XB2

Originally Posted by revoluzion
I have an auto 2nd gen 08 xB. The traffic here in hawaii has been somewhat heavier than usual, but my questions are:

Is it normal for my auto xB with 500miles on it, to get merely 17 avg miles per gallon?

Is it abnormal that I haven't gotten 200miles on a tank of gas yet, although this is my 4th tank?

Should I wait longer, maybe i'm still at the "break-in" period?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated as I intend to bring it back to the dealer if the condition persists.

17mpg.. sigh, and all of you are getting over 20 at least.

Thanks in advance!
are you getting better mileage now? i just filled mine for the first time, and i got 250 miles on my first tank of gas the dealer gave me and i had a gallon or two left...

if not, definitely see the dealer to check it out!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yanges
Originally Posted by Bigfieroman

do you use regular grade [87] or medium grade [89] in your xB?

i have always felt i got a little more power from using medium grade, but i am trying regular for now...
You will not get appreciably more horsepower with midgrade or premium unless your car is designed for it.

I use 87 octane.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We finally took a weekend trip from Asheville NC through TN, VA and into southern WV. Total round trip was 447.3 miles. This included two days driving in Asheville, both interstate and two land roads as well as small towns. We used 13.036 gallons of Shell regular and got 34.3 mgp. The A/C was on for about two hours durning the trip. It looks like it is all how and where you drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XB2 fuel economy