2009 Kia Soul - an xB-like (?) car from Korea

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 2009 Kia Soul - an xB-like (?) car from Korea

Edmonds.com reports:

08-21-2007
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Kia announced at the 2007 New York Auto Show its intention to produce the Soul concept car, a vehicle expected to compete against the Scion xB. Spy photographers are now offering an early look at the production Soul.

With its distinctive styling, the Soul is expected to appeal to younger buyers with a muscular look on the outside and a high-end audio system on the inside. Powering the Soul will be a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine mated to a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capability.

The 2009 Kia Soul will enter showrooms in late 2008.

What this means to you: Following Scion's success with the youth-targeted xB, Kia throws its hat in the ring.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=122259#4

Old 08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, but it's only a 2.0L. The xB is 2.4L.
Besides, it's a Kia.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM
SL Member

Three words.... it's a Kia
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehh.... see above posts
Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ditto. Too bad it's a Kia.
However, 2.0 with a 5 speed is what I would have liked in here. Or better yet give me the VAG 1.8t or 2.0t with a 5 or 6 speed auto and I'd be in heaven!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of Edmunds.com's shot has been cropped. This is the real photo of the above post as posted by Worldcarfans.com

Notice the xB2 in the background? Kia bought an xB2 to compare against. Hmm. What is Edmunds hiding? All the pictures Edmunds posted is Similar to Worldcarfans except the first pic.

Current stock of Kia's depreciate in value faster than Toyota/Scion.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 AM
SL Member

Kias depreciate at a value of about $1000.00 a day.

All joking aside, their value really does sink like a rock after you buy them.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It might sell at $5000....there would have to be something extraordiarily good about it to beable to compete with a Toyota (scion)
Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xb27
It might sell at $5000....there would have to be something extraordiarily good about it to beable to compete with a Toyota (scion)
With a 2.0L engine, mpg should be pretty good. Since some of the gen1 xB owners have been so vocal criticizing xB2's (allegedly low) mpg here and elsewhere on the net, it could become very popular with them! [Putting an anti-flame suit on!]
Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyopet
With a 2.0L engine, mpg should be pretty good. Since some of the gen1 xB owners have been so vocal criticizing xB2's (allegedly low) mpg here and elsewhere on the net, it could become very popular with them! [Putting an anti-flame suit on!]
At least Kia's come with a heated rear window...to keep your hands warm while pushing them ....
Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM

At least Kia's come with a heated rear window...to keep your hands warm while pushing them ....
LOL you are so right. Friend of mine at work had a Kia Spectra5.. brand new. It had umpteen problems right out of the gate. She broke down on the way to Atlantic City about a week after she got the thing.

I don't care how cheap that new thing is.. no way it can touch an xB, better mileage or no. Plus, it looks like it's gonna be extremely ugly.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:38 PM

I just bought a beautiful 08 Xb in Blue, have lowered it, have a clear bra on it and have plus 2 size tires and wheels and my 2007 Kia Sedona minivan with a 3.8L engine with 244 hp gets the same gas mileage in town. Had no breakdowns to date and its rated the safest minivan over Toyota and Honda by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in frontal offset, side impact and rear impact crashes. This info from this Institution is why I traded my fully pimped 06 Xb in on the 08. The 06 had marginal to poor ratings. My minivan has also got, finally, top rated reliability from Consumer Reports. Don't be so quick to dismiss KIA, I think they have improved their quality and they really care about consumer safety. What we should really consider when dissing another car manufacturer, is why didn't Scion make the first generation Xb with added safety for the consumer when they clearly had the technology and added to the next Xb. I was fortunate enough to find this information and was able to trade my car in for a much safer one. Hmmm, come on Scion, make all your cars safe, Kia is trying to.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't forget the 10 year warranty.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol . so many things to say.

Scion didn't start as a safe, fast brand. it was a cheap, get the kids to buy something different brand. it worked, people wanted more, so toyota added it.

I'll never own a Kia/Hyundai. My dad had a 2000 Hyundai Sonata. He gots LOTS of use out of the 10 year Warranty. Cause it fricken broke all the time. Auto tranny gave out around 50-80k miles, and for a year he had the car in the shop every month. plus during regular maintenance they cut corners, changed only half of the spark plugs, not all, etc, etc. it was sad. I was happy to see it go. My dad fell into the xB (won it actually) glad he's back with Toyota (Still couldn't believe he went from a Corolla to the Sonata in the first place.)

Plus these brands have no originality. Everything they come out with looks like something else. Obvious from this Kia xB.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyopet
It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it! Kia engines are far less effecient, and plus they're KIAs! Most of the nightmare stories are more than true, including spontaneous combustion.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:42 PM

That's the difference from a car maker who's been in business over many decades compared to one who is just really getting started. That's why it's always good to check reliability and safety ratings from independent labs before buying a car from a manufacturer only in the business a short time. I remember when Honda's and Toyota's came to the states. Everyone made fun of them. Every car maker starts somewhere.

I've learned an important and expensive lesson this year and that is to check out these independent lab tests before buying a car. My Scion trade cost my family lots of money, but what we gained was worth it. Kia has had terrible reliability issues for years but is finally turning all that around and getting just as good of ratings as the top 3 car makers. Although the Xb is very reliable, Scion didn't make it as safe as they could of. Every car makers fails somewhere and the good ones will try to improve. Thank goodness they made it safer this year. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 06 Xb and hated trading it but had to sacrifice for safety issues.

I guess what I'm trying to say is always educate yourself on your car purchase before you make it. If I had last year I would have saved my family around $4000.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Kia's are held together with bubble gum and good intentions.

here is what i would guess is the concept version of the Soul...
Old 08-22-2007, 02:58 PM

I think all cars probably are since they all eventually break down and quit working at some point. As my brother who owns 3 dealerships and travels to auto auctions all week long once said "They are all junk".

I've owned over 40 cars in my lifetime and all of them have failed me at some point. Glad my Kia at least has a 10 year warranty.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10 year warranties aside, if your car is in the shop, that's a lot of time driving a rental car that you didn't bargain for, and a lot of time just dealing with having to go back and forth to the dealer.

Despite the Korean manufacturers, I just can't wait for the Chinese manufacturers! I can already see it now...recall for too much lead in paint, etc.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM

Well, I'm a lucky Kia owner. 25,000 miles on the minivan and never been in the shop yet!

Quick Reply: 2009 Kia Soul - an xB-like (?) car from Korea