Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stock Sirius and new head unit advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default Stock Sirius and new head unit advice

I thought I read somewhere that if you get the sirius installed by the dealer, that it will not work with another HU. Is that true, if so, would it work with another HU if it is Pioneer?

I am looking to get another HU, I was thinking about the premium, but can you guys suggest something else for around the same price, maybe a little more/less?
The stock unit right now is fine, and I am fine with the overall sound, I am just a big sirius guy and the stock HU cuts off more than half of the text, and you have to hit the text button to see the rest of it (even though that is cut off as well)

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member

bumping this.
Would really like to know info relating to the sirius and a different HU
Old 08-26-2007, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's correct. The reason is, the box they use for the Sirius is made for that head unit. I don't know of another head unit other than the Toyota decks that can use the harness from the Sirius box. The only thing you can keep from the stock system is the Sirius antenna as that will plug into an aftermarket Sirius box no problem.

However, an aftermarket Sirius box is a lot cheaper than the one that comes with some Scions. I think the kit runs close to $300!!! I recently found out that not all xBs came with Sirius. My xB and xB2 both came with it from the dealership with 9 months free of charge. My friend just bought her xB2 and it didn't come with it. My cars both came from Longo Scion/Toyota.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member

I think Longo is still doing that promo. At least they were a couple weeks ago when I emailed about trading my 06 Xa in for a 08 XB. I think there is only one Sirius harness for Pioneer HUs, thus the Scion one connected to the Pioneer HU should work if you get another Pioneer HU. I'm int he same boat as I would like to buy at Longo for the free Sirius hookup, then switch out the stock HU for a Pioneer Avic.

If anyone else has any info I too would appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by waupaca11
I think there is only one Sirius harness for Pioneer HUs, thus the Scion one connected to the Pioneer HU should work if you get another Pioneer HU.
No, this will not work. They are different plugs. Pioneer uses the IP bus and the Scion head unit uses a molex plug. See the pictures I took below

Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the clarification Malibu. Do you have the Premium HU? If so, how do you like the Sirius controls? I'd like to get it for the clean dash look, but I love the Memo and Game alert features of my Sportster. Does the Premium HU have these Sirius features?

Thanks again for the insight.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member

ok, so to clarify, I could get the premium head unit and it will work with the "scion" installed sirius.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the basic stereo, but i ripped it out along with the Sirius and sold it. The premium head unit will work with the sirius module as well.

If your car did not come with the Sirius module, you are better off buying an aftermarket double DIN unit and the associated Sirius module for the manufacturer. The reason is that the Scion sirius module runs about $300. You can buy an aftermarket head unit sirius module for about $100 so that extra $200 can go toward a better stereo.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member

crap, wish I knew this when I got the car.
Oh well.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lardo5150
crap, wish I knew this when I got the car.
Oh well.
Funny how most Scion stealerships (I bought from 3 different ones) don't "tell" you the little things that turn out to be big surprise money issues when wanting to buy parts and upgrades, like when I bought my First 06 xb, I was led to believe that the car was coming with all the options installed from the factory, stealer installed the "Scion Security" at premium price $449 and I could have got a better one at Best Buy for $150 installed, and they would have done a better job too,Kinda torqued my chain!!