Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Another 2008 xB Rear Ended...(no 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another 2008 xB Rear Ended...(no 56k)

Well, I just finished putting on my new wheels, which was an adventure in and of itself because 1 of the twenty lugnuts was the wrong thread (noticed before it ruined the stud) and the hub-centric rings had the wrong ID (centered using the lugs, very difficult, but done with no vibration!) and I was on my way to put some air in the tires.

I was going down a 35 mph road, and the van in front of me stopped to make a left turn. I stopped about 15 feet behind. I did not stop quick or anything, just kinda gradually braked down from 35 and held the car with the brakes.

Wham!

Wham!

Some woman in a New Beetle Convertible smacked me from behind...twice. I was able to keep the xB off of the bumper of the van in front of me...barely. Anyway, it is definitely her fault, and I called the cops immediately, so that is on file.

The damage is bad under the bumper. I am pretty sure the unibody is bent and will need pulled out. If I had to guess, I would estimate $1500-$3000 in damage. I am getting it fixed at the dealer.

Anyway, on with the pics.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i feel your pain, i'd cry if someone hit my xB. what a dumb breezy. was she on her cell phone??
Old 09-02-2007, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, but I don't think she was right in the head...like 60 something years old, possibly some dementia.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ouch... im glad mine wasnt that bad.. iv just got 2 holes punched into my bumped from the other guys license plate screws...

wonder how much that would cost to get fixed? you think they would have to get a whoile new bumper for that or just fix and paint? iv never had to get it dont before... but iv seen others get repairs and the paint end up looking like crap...

Im sore as hell today too! i just in so many wrecks ... damn.. even a small little hit from behind and i feel like i was ran over by a mack truck.. is that a sign of old age?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 AM

Man that sucks, what part of the burgh did it happen at?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow,... I hate to see that, bud....... really do. terrible....... sweet wheels in spite of the bad accident!!!. good luck with the recovery of your normalcy!.. jh
Old 09-03-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THE GEN 1 PEOPLE SENT HER D: D: D:

No, seriously, I cannot BELIEVE she did that much damage! The New Beetle has one of the best bumper systems on the market - they don't show any damage at all under 10 mph, which I would think is the fastest any reasonable accident could occur under those conditions.

She must have been going the full 35 to cause that much damage. What. The hell.

Sorry, dude, but as others have said...sweet wheels.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

at least your new wheels look nice
Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at least the wheels are okay
Old 09-03-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Man that sucks
Old 09-03-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont know if it would make u feel any better but she has around $3000 at least worth of damage. I had one hit a dear wasnt pretty. lol but deff sux, did it only get ur bumper? or did it break any mounts for the tail lights?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bugtoxb
dont know if it would make u feel any better but she has around $3000 at least worth of damage. I had one hit a dear wasnt pretty. lol but deff sux, did it only get ur bumper? or did it break any mounts for the tail lights?
The bumper is toast, as is the steel bumper underneath, the foam energy absorber, and wheel well liners, the bumper mounts, the exhaust, and possibly the frame underneath. Also, the tailgate is bent in one corner. The taillights appear to be undamaged, as are the new wheels and tires.

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
THE GEN 1 PEOPLE SENT HER D: D: D:

No, seriously, I cannot BELIEVE she did that much damage! The New Beetle has one of the best bumper systems on the market - they don't show any damage at all under 10 mph, which I would think is the fastest any reasonable accident could occur under those conditions.

She must have been going the full 35 to cause that much damage. What. The hell.

Sorry, dude, but as others have said...sweet wheels.
The weird thing is that she hit me twice...once straight on and once in the passenger corner. I don't know if she hit the gas instead of the brake or what, but there were definitely 2 distinct impacts. I don't know how fast she was going, but her air bags did not deploy.

Originally Posted by sml-27
Man that sucks, what part of the burgh did it happen at?
Bethel Park on Rt. 88

Here are some better pics of the wheels on the car:

Thanks for all the compliments on the wheels! Wish I could enjoy them...
Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch!

Considering the speeds likely involved here, judging from the way the scene unfolded and the damage done to the VW, I'd say it's pretty remarkable how limited the damage was to the xB.

Definately gonna be pricey, but the beauty of rear-end collisions is that it's invariably not your fault.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt311
ouch... im glad mine wasnt that bad.. iv just got 2 holes punched into my bumped from the other guys license plate screws...

wonder how much that would cost to get fixed? you think they would have to get a whoile new bumper for that or just fix and paint? iv never had to get it dont before... but iv seen others get repairs and the paint end up looking like crap...

Im sore as hell today too! i just in so many wrecks ... damn.. even a small little hit from behind and i feel like i was ran over by a mack truck.. is that a sign of old age?
same exact thing happend to me a couple weeks ago. i got two perfect holes in the rear bumper and some minor scratches and a lil bit of ripples. i called up some a place called bumper medic (socal) and they quoted around $350. then i went to a body shop and they quoted 1k. for that much i might as well get a whole body kit. but for you, if its just two hole (no ribbles or cracking) i suggest you call up some bumper repair men.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just shimmied under the car to take a look. As I said, the bumper, the energy absorber, the steel bumper, and the steel bumper mounts are bent up; but it looks like the unibody is barely, if at all, damaged. There is a flange that the bumper mounts bolt to, and the bottom edge looks slightly bent in. I think that bending it back would be very quick and easy...the rest of the damage looks like it is bolt-on stuff. In summary, I doubt it is $4k in damage, unless there is some hidden frame damage that I could not detect...probably more like $2k.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, bummer.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Poor xB2. Well hopefully the damage isn't too bad!! And your wheels look good!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ow!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some more pics of the damage:

As you can see, there actually is some unibody damage. The body is crinkled in the corner, and the place where the brackets bolt up looks to be pushed in a little bit. That could add a bunch to the adjustment being done tomorrow...
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Un ____ing believable.

I just took the car to put the air in the tires that I intended to put in when I got hit.

A small deer ran into the side of the car while I was going down the road. I cannot tell in the dark, but there doesn't APPEAR to be any damage...I will be able to tell in the morning though. I just can't believe it.

Quick Reply: Another 2008 xB Rear Ended...(no 56k)