Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Infant Car Seats in the xB -- Any parents up in here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Infant Car Seats in the xB -- Any parents up in here?

Hey all,

My wife and I have twin 7-month-olds and we've got a new xB on the way. We're picking out convertible/rear-facing car seats right now and I'm looking for some advice from other xB-driving moms and dads.

For those of you hip to the car seat lingo: We had wanted a Radian65 but it flat out does not fit! It needs to be reclined way too much when rear-facing and it's impossible to push the seats up far enough to accommodate it. Just doesn't work in the xB. The Britax Roundabout is probably our best option, but I HATE the way it looks. I just can't put a stupid-looking car seat in my sweet new ride. I see they're selling Maxi-Cosi, a really hot European car seat, here in the states now so we might try that -- although we'd have to drive an hour and half just to find a store that has them and test them out.

Would love some thoughts if there are other parents here that have car seats in the 08 xB -- particularly rear-facing.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't much about the brands...but in know the one we have for our 4 month old right now is a Graco...i'll take pics of the car seats of my 3 yr old and 4 month old on the new xB to give you somewhat of an idea what they look like

JC
Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We had the Britax at first until he outgrew it, after that, Graco all the way. Looks wont matter anyway, it'll blend in with all the "treats" that get left behind. You ever try getting cherrios out of the a/c vents? More importantly, figuring out *how* they got there? Grats on the twins and the new xB too.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool thread. We need to get a "Parents" subsection to the xB forum.

All joking aside, I have a 2 year old daughter. Wife and I both have the Britax Marathon in our new cars. We just like the ease of use, easily removed parts for vomit cleansing, and it can be adjusted as it relates to recline angle. The only down side is the cost. Spending $200+ when there are a lot of great seats at half the cost is tough...but we like them that much.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks, guys. Yeah... the Britax is mad functional, so we may end up going that route. I just can't help fretting about the dumpy looks though. The Maxi-Cosi Priori is sweet-looking and rated really high in Europe (they just started selling it here this month), but I don't know if it would fit in the xB when in the rear-facing position -- that was the problem with the Radian we tried.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by timmer357
Cool thread. We need to get a "Parents" subsection to the xB forum.
Ha... yeah. I'm definitely interested in seeing/sharing more "parent mods."
Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have a 6wk old son & have a Graco seat. I have the base behind the passenger seat & when the car seat is in, the passenger seat needs to be moved up a little. Behind the driver's seat is our dog's car seat... really. ;)
Old 09-04-2007, 06:12 PM
SL Member

It really does not matter about how stupid the seats look in the car... none look cool. Spend your money on tinting the windows darker- no one will see the seats and your babies will benefit from less glare.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by JoanMarshall
It really does not matter about how stupid the seats look in the car... none look cool. Spend your money on tinting the windows darker- no one will see the seats and your babies will benefit from less glare.
Yeah, but *I* have to look at it. And the Maxi-Cosi looks SWEET.

Did get the window tint. Hope the kiddos dig it.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM

Twins and you didnt get a travel system? Yikes. We couldnt have made it without the Graco travel system. Being able to move them from the car to the stroller while sleeping was invaluable when my twins were that age. Now we've got them in forward facing boosters so it isnt as big a deal.

However I doubt our old inline double stroller would have fit in my Xb. We use a Jeep side by side that folds up pretty small now and it fits fine. Also the kids normally ride in my wife's Highlander so I dont keep the car seats in all the time.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm....... dont know much about car seats. I just know that ours fits
Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by williamk
Twins and you didnt get a travel system? Yikes. We couldnt have made it without the Graco travel system. Being able to move them from the car to the stroller while sleeping was invaluable when my twins were that age. Now we've got them in forward facing boosters so it isnt as big a deal.

However I doubt our old inline double stroller would have fit in my Xb. We use a Jeep side by side that folds up pretty small now and it fits fine. Also the kids normally ride in my wife's Highlander so I dont keep the car seats in all the time.
Nice to run into another twin-havin' xB'er. We've had them in carrier seats that snap-in and that has worked great, but those only go up to 20 lbs., and now it's time to move up to a larger convertible seat -- one that's rear-facing at first and then we'll turn it around in 6 months. Dig? Did you have them in your xB while they were still in rear-facing seats? It's been tough for us to find something that fits like we'd like it to. Twins... It's crazy isn't it?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 PM

My baby is only a week old... and the kids are 19 months so I never had to try facing backwards in the Xb. I had a Focus ZX5 before that and they barely fit and we had to push the seats forward. Fortunately my wife took the hit and drove a minivan until two weeks ago. We picked up my Xb and Highlander for her at the same time. Had to wait for mine to arrive though.

Does the xb even have child safety locks on the back doors? I havent even looked yet.

Yours are still little and cute. Just give it a few more months. You'll look back on this time as the quiet before the storm Mine are climbing on everything. They can open the baby gates, open doors, cabinets, whatever. My son will pick up a cup, look you in the eye, say "uh-oh", then hurl the cup across the room. But its the best. I wouldnt trade places with one of those slackers who only has kids one at a time for anything.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Britax all the way! It's a great car seat and your kids will be nice and comfy in it. Worth the $.

I had my windows tinted 35% and you can't even see the car seats when you glance in.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by DieselGirl
Britax all the way! It's a great car seat and your kids will be nice and comfy in it. Worth the $.

I had my windows tinted 35% and you can't even see the car seats when you glance in.
Nice. Do you have the Marathon or the Roundabout? And have you had it in there rear facing?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the xb even have child safety locks on the back doors? I havent even looked yet.

Much to my son's dismay, yes, it does
Old 09-05-2007, 03:50 AM

I gotta get my windows darker. For the rare occasion for when I've got the kids and just in general for the heat. That black interior makes the car mighty warm out here.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta get my windows darker. For the rare occasion for when I've got the kids and just in general for the heat. That black interior makes the car mighty warm out here.
Ah, but that's what the remote starter is for.

We've got two cars, and two car seats in each car. Our now 1-yr old is in a britax. I can't remember if the boulevard or the marathon is in the xB, but I think it's the marathon.

For our 3.5 yr old, we got a pair of an aluminum booster seat that has the 5-point harness rated to 80 lbs. I can't remember the model, but it's the only one rated like that.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by emergingme
Originally Posted by DieselGirl

Nice. Do you have the Marathon or the Roundabout? And have you had it in there rear facing?
Since we have 3 cars, we have 3 car seats, one for each car. And in the XB is the Boulevard but I do have the Roundabout in my other car and all Britax car seats are pretty damn good. But I've only used it front facing in the XB since my kid is two now.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:14 PM

We ended up going with the Maxi-Cosi Priori (www.maxi-cosi.com). It's in the same class as the Britax Roundabout, but a little more functional and way more stylish. The reviews I read online -- most of them are from Europe since they just started selling it here -- were all great. That was enough for me. So, now we have the matching car seats... just not the car! I'm supposed to take delivery of my new xB tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Infant Car Seats in the xB -- Any parents up in here?