Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Rock chip. More like Rock indent.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:51 AM
SL Member

Default Rock chip. More like Rock indent.

Got a rock chip while on my way to the Scion Super Highway event. Not only is it a chip(all the way down to the metal and then some) but it looks like somebody pushed down real hard with their thumb to put an indent on the hood right where it curves over. Anybody know if those are easy to fix on the Xb?

The good part about it is a clear bra would of been usless against the super kryptonite that hit my hood(I was about to clear bra the car last week, would of been a waste of $500). It could of easily have shattered my windsheild or head light. Also it is well centered.

BTW the Scion Superhighway was fun and they gave out some good swag. So anybody else have dents in their hood fixed recently and how much should I expect to pay?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sorry to hear the about the damage your box took. While many would think the clear bra wouldnt stop that and who knows it might not. You would be suprised what it can stop. Customer last week hit a lawn chair on the fwy. No damage, no tears, just some marks that waxed right off.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:42 PM
SL Member

Default now fixed

Thanks to Jeff at Beach Cities Paintless Dent Repair.

Before:

After:
Old 09-22-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see you are 100 years old so I'll speak slow and clear!

Just kidding!!

Glad to see it was repaired. You weren't messing with our heads when describing the damage. A pic is worth a 1000 words. Great news.

Just for fun, should I ask how much to fix it. Forgot it you mentioned it in the post. I was floored by the dent.

Did I just go back and read.... Paintless dent repair? Looks impressive. Any details?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 AM
SL Member

I was skeptical about the Paintless Dent Repair then I talked to my Uncle who used to own a Body Shop. He said most of those places would probably charge me at least $300 to repair it. He then looked underneath the hood and saw that the back side of the dent was not easily accessible, he then told me that they would most likely just fill the dent with Bondo, shape it and reshoot the hood or drill a hole and pop it out then use bondo to cover the hole. I then said, "who the hell still uses Bondo?" He then said that unless the shop does a really good job in prepping the hood and curing the paint, most likely it would start peeling/flaking within two years.

My co-worker mentioned that one of his buddies had Paintless Dent Repair(PDR) done on his car and it looked pretty good. Found out about Beach Cities PDR. It took Jeff about 45 minutes and various tools(looked like KGB torture devices) to restore the shape. He applied touch up paint and it was good to go.

The area where the paint was chipped out still bothered me because it wasn't flush with the rest of the paint, so I did the rest myself. What I did was apply about seven layers of touch up paint on that spot (over a 3 days), wet sanded it flush, then applied about three layers of touch up clear coat, sanded that down, and finally some polishing and waxing. Unless the spot is pointed out, you can't tell that anything ever happened.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what did the repair cost??
Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 AM
SL Member

$125. I got quotes as low as $80. But the only place with an actual garage to take your car to was Beach Cities, everyone else was mobile and would come to your house or office.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it looks good , and I'm sure that is because of the follow up surgery that you performed........looks good as new.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still trying to find the spot on your close up. lol :o
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was about to say "i have that too" until i saw your pic. I have a SMALL indentation, but mine also went down to metal Gotta get the touch up paint. wasn't sure if the dealers actually had it yet.