Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Question about the A pillar creek and dashboard rattles:

Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Question about the A pillar creek and dashboard rattles:

I'm right on the edge of purchasing the '08 XB . . . Considered the new XD but came to the conclusion that the real value was in the new XB when one considers the standard features, including traction. However, the number of hits on this board re: the A pillar creek, experienced by many many owners coupled with dashboard rattles is leaving me a bit leary of moving forward with the XB. As a sidebar, I noticed that the XD is one of the few vehicles at this pricepoint which has safety active head restraints. This is missing from the XB. Possible that this feature will save as many lives as the standard traction found on the new XB??

Question: Is anyone WITHOUT the creeks and/or rattles? All help is greatly appreciated. Pete
Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

over 8k and don't have a squeak really. Couple of other issuees but not safety minded and warranty fixable!!Cosmetics only..
Old 09-14-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 2300 miles and have no creeks or squeeks what so ever
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
SL Member

Had a rattle but found that it was just the cargo floor was not locked down... I do hear a quick clicking noise from the front wheel area when after I have reversed and then put it into drive while my tires a cranked to either side though. Also kind of a spring sound (like if you hold a ruler over the edge of a desk with one hand and give it a flick with the other) if that makes sense.
Just passed 4100 miles.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The xBs haven't been out for a whole year yet so of course it'll have rattles. What new car do you know of that doesn't?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Question about the A pillar creek and dashboard rattles:

Originally Posted by Peterun
I'm right on the edge of purchasing the '08 XB . . . Considered the new XD but came to the conclusion that the real value was in the new XB when one considers the standard features, including traction. However, the number of hits on this board re: the A pillar creek, experienced by many many owners coupled with dashboard rattles is leaving me a bit leary of moving forward with the XB. As a sidebar, I noticed that the XD is one of the few vehicles at this pricepoint which has safety active head restraints. This is missing from the XB. Possible that this feature will save as many lives as the standard traction found on the new XB??

Question: Is anyone WITHOUT the creeks and/or rattles? All help is greatly appreciated. Pete
I'm also considering purchase but rather put off by all the creaks/rattles reported.
It would be great if this thread were a poll with questions for owners to report status:

A. No creaks/rattles
B. creaks/rattles occurred but were fixed
C. creaks/rattles occurred but could not be fixed or recurred after fixing

Regarding active head restraint, IIHS has not rated the head restraints on the new xB or the xD. But if they do in the future, that is what I would look at for info on how well the head restraints work in either car- not whether it is active or non-active. I'm not sure, but my guess is that just making it active doesn't guarantee that it is safer, just like there are cars with airbags that are still not very safe. Maybe the xB doesn't NEED active head restraints?
Old 09-15-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Question about the A pillar creek and dashboard rattles:

Originally Posted by toronado
I'm also considering purchase but rather put off by all the creaks/rattles reported.
I think there is a lot of misinformation on this topic. I was considering putting up a post today with a blazing topic headline something like
Weld failures a hoax!!
just to see if anyone talking about this could produce proof. The latest was punkviper talking about failed welds as if they are a fact and a bunch of theorys about it.

We keep getting people posting these Chicken Little Sky-Is-Falling things about failed welds. Remember CheapChic (now punkviper maybe?)? There was a challenge to produce pictures/ proof of these "failed welds" and there was nothing. Every single reference to a "weld failure" is unverified. Frankly I just plain do not believe it.

The closest I have seen to a "structural build issue" was one person who got a noise fixed that turned out to be a loose or missing clip (or screw) under the hood related to the fender.

Outside of that it looks like most of the ones having squeaks are running into some interior plastic on plastic type things. I, like what appears to be the majority of owners, have fortunately had zero issues of this type. For the ones that have this type of squeak, keep on your dealer and make them fix it. If similar issues are noted by several dealers a TSB will be issued to help other dealers fix these. I have seen several TSB's for Toyota products that covered fixes for this type of noise on other Toyota models.

As for mine, I have just over 7000 miles on my xB. I just returned last night from my second long road trip in three weeks with my xB. 4000+ miles in three weeks. No rattles, no squeaks, no runs, no drips no errors. :D
Old 09-16-2007, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by roXer boXer
I think there is a lot of misinformation on this topic.
There may be some misinformation about the causes of the noises. Unfortunately, whenever there is a problem like this there is the risk of some misinformation getting out there - especially at the beginning.

I won't speculate on what someones motivation would be to deliberately post false information. But I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of posts here are truthful and honest. And I think that as more owners share their experiences it will become easier to separate truth from myth.