Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Hint of a price drop

Old 09-16-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hint of a price drop

Was at my local dealer and told the manager that my choice was down to the xD and Yaris. He told me to get the Yaris. I guess much higher resale at this point, and harder to come by (surely a higher margin for them as well). We also discussed how Scion missed the mark with the '08 redesigns (xD nose, xB size, etc).He suggested the xBs aren't selling at all like Toyota had hoped. They can hold their inventory at the port and have them delivered as requested. According to him, the port in Portland is so full of unsold xBs, that they are having to "flush" them out to the dealers, and there have been rumors of a price drop to speed the turnover of inventory. This guy seemed to know his stuff, as he was the only one at this dealership with any clue of what the Japanese market gets that we don't. A little FYI FWIW.
I'm not hating on the xB.....I've driven it....just too big in comparison for my taste (too Camry wagonesque).
Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Interesting info. dont know how true that info is. We havent heard anything remotely like that.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dropped by my dealership to have my rear spoiler put on and the salesman noted that since my buying mine, late July, they started flying out the door. I walked the lot while they installed and three more siver and black pearls were with sold signs. Another couple just came in still wrapped up from the factory. Seem to be starting to flow in Mass.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish I had the cash to get an xB gen 2. I like them, but I def don't dig the xD.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was in Orlando,fl and tampa,fl and didn't see a dealer with with less than 15 to a high of 35 xBs in there lot. And a dealer selling on TV for less than sticker.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i purchased mine in the beginning of may, and the first month was great!! i got more eye turns than i knew what to do with.

but a couple months since...ive seen them rolling out the lot like no other.

the xb2 is like heroin. definatly an opiate. keeps making people come back for more.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Hint of a price drop

Originally Posted by jdgriswald
He suggested the xBs aren't selling at all like Toyota had hoped.
i don't know how true that is. here on the east coast, the dealers around me atleast, they are selling as fast as they get them. you can never believe what the dealer says, they are just like lawyers, they deal in lies and bull shiz all day long. IMO.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have talked to two dealers in the area after I bought my xB, and they both commented that 2008 xBs rarely sit on the lot for more than a day.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 AM

I got mine from Longo Toyota(biggest Toyota dealership in the world), and when I stop by for the free service this past Saturday the dealer told me they couldn't get these XBs in fast enough.

It might just be a state to state thing.....
Old 09-17-2007, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll see if I can drive by the Port of Portland facility and visually count how many xBs there are, tomorrow.

When I bought my xB last month from Broadway Toyota, it didn't seem that their inventory lasted too long. I'd get a call from the sales guy letting me know when they were receiving the color (BSP) that I wanted, and if I was ready to buy.

I'm kinda skeptical though, that they would lower the price. It's not as though they heavily advertise the xB anyway. Plus, I would think that the first option would be to offer zero percent financing,..IMHO.

Hey, if the new xB doesn't become as popular as the 1st gen, I'd actually be happier. I don't want a car that everyone else is driving, you know?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got mine last month and i had to wait a week to get one, they didnt have any on the lot.

Yesterday i had some guy admiring it when it was parked :D
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flbugboy
I was in Orlando,fl and tampa,fl and didn't see a dealer with with less than 15 to a high of 35 xBs in there lot. And a dealer selling on TV for less than sticker.
What dealer? PM me if you like.
TIA
Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have to agree with what others have seen. Seems like here the xB's are gone as soon as they show up. The weekend I went to test drive one they had five on the lot and when I went the next weekend to get one, there was only one left (lucky me it was the one I wanted).

They had at least 10 Yaris' on the lot when I got my xB.

Here they have like $2k-$3k markup on the Yaris. Maybe he was trying to push you towards that because they can make more off of a Yaris because the Pure Pricing doesn't allow them to jack up the price. (That's coming out of my ___ cause I have no idea how much a dealer can make off of a Scion prior to adding accessories)
Old 09-17-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know for a fact that they're flying off the dealer lot I bought mine from. Not to mention I've seen a half dozen or more in my area in the few months they've been out. My last car I also bought after it had been out only a few months, and I saw maybe 1 other of the same car besides mine so soon after it's release and it went on to be a fairly successful model of car. I have complete confidence that this time next year 2nd gen xB's will be as ubiquitous as the 1st gen if not moreso.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flbugboy
It is really a state to stat kind of thing. I remember when I wernt to Orlando for vacation in late June, there weren't any scions in general. Most people drove american cars and trucks.

No wonder u dont see much new xb's in florida, cause there arent that many japanese cars in general!

...and oh yea, when i was buying my xb, mine was the last one and they had to keep it in the showroom to advertise until more cars came in
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

Very interesting that the sales manager said to buy a Yaris instead. At the Toyota Scion dealership I work for (sales) We have been selling more Scion then Yaris for sure. The gen2 xB will be hotter then the gen1 xB was and they were pretty hot. I cant stress enough to customers how much of a DEAL all the Scion cars are even compared to other Toyotas. With all the standard features you get with Scion why even look at a Yaris or a Corolla for that matter? Now dont get me wrong I sell both Toyota and Scion but I am very PRO SCION!!My wife just bought an 08 xB and she cant get out of it I swear she wants to live in it LOL. cnn.com had an article a while back saying the xB will be a future collectors car so I dont see buying one as a bad choice. As far as a price drop not likely considering the price of the xB has already increased due to a rise in freigt charges.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mars23z
cnn.com had an article a while back saying the xB will be a future collectors car so I dont see buying one as a bad choice.
That was written before the second gen came out. And it was an insurance company asking current car collectors what they think they might find desirable down the road - hardly scientific. But, to dream...

---

After the first few months I hadn't seen any, but as of the last two weeks I had seen six different ones in and around Philly (three in one day). At the same time, I haven't seen any on the lots of the dealerships around here (Ardmore, Conicelli in Springfield and Plymouth Meeting).

I think the person was pushing you toward the Yaris because of the pure pricing issue on scions. Nor do I think they'll lower the price on any car - when Toyota openly had concerns about Matrix and xA sales, they didn't lower the price - they just added more features to make it a more compelling choice.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealer must be pushing Yaris because of higher margin and they aren't selling as well. My 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member

Your right the article was from Hagerty. My point was they are becoming popular cars more so then say the Yaris. Remember back in the day when the PT Cruiser sold for more then sticker? Well Scions sometimes sell used for more then they were new. The fact that its a car made by Toyota only helps hold there value. We have a few 07 tC's left and what we did to sell them is add accessories to them so they had more stuff on them then the 08 and its working we are selling them. Scions "change every 3 years " philosophy seems to be working to. Keeping models fresh every 3 yrs instead 5 yrs keeps the value of the used Scions up.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't get to see the inventory at the Port, but I saw that Beaverton Scion had only a couple of xBs on the lot while Broadway Scion had a half-dozen. What I did see a lot of, were Highlanders and Tacomas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hint of a price drop