Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Battle of the HU's

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Battle of the HU's

I dont want to start war like in the last thread i saw but heres my question.

I have a box with two pyle audio subs. and the stock HU. I want to know if i should get the premium HU (idk how much it is) or a simliar AM unit that does the same. i dont have an amp so i guess i would need to get that 2. Are there any HU out there that would keep the ipod functions of the premium radio?? I dont have the most amount of moeny. i think Premuium HU was 260 at the dealer here. so any help???
Old 09-18-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can get an aftermarket radio that has an adapter which will let you use an iPod, or you can get a HU with a USB port, same thing. I dont know in terms of price if it'll be more or less than $260
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can use a'line out' adapter with your'existing' stock HU, to push your amp which wil push your sub. That's what I DID...... I stress did........ I finally chaged out my HU for one with built ins (RCA outs)....
A line out adapter (taps) into a speaker wire & then you plug in your amps RCA's to it...... simple, cheap, just not all that great quality to your amp, but some non the less....... good luck...
Old 09-19-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well my question what is the most cost effective way to get my subs hooked up? Get the premium HU or one like it and not worry about buying an amplifier? 2. Buy a 30 dollar amp thingy so i dont need a new HU and then buy an amp (600 W).

btw the speakers are free. plye subs (idk anythign else about em theire in a box setup.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-19-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pyle is fairly low end nowadays, back in the 80's they were very popular, but free is a great price...

Most cost effective way is to buy and amp with speaker level ins... then you won't need any adapters, just tap your speaker wires and send them right to your amp
Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so pretty much get an amp and just run it to the base unit?? thats what i was thinkin of doing. Idk how much an amp is so i need to find that out. The thought of paying 260 for the Premium HU was tempting but i would still ahve to buy the amp wouldnt i?? any good HU in the price range of the Premium HU that has the same or better features. i like the ipod thing thats all i use for music anywys. thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well... if you're looking to save some money, do the Line Out converter as mentioned by jimmbomb.

I did a DIY with one for the NAV unit, should be damn near identical for the base system:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190326

It's only $20 for the line out converter.

I also just bought an amp at a yard sale, 600 W, for $25. So if you look hard enough, you can find them cheap too. Unless you're doing competitions, you really don't need much more than 200W for these cars since they have an open trunk. Thats all I'm running at the moment (though i will be putting in the 600W when i get my box built), but it hits quite nice.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes you DO need an amp.. The premium HU aint gonna push your Pyles.. An Amp has to do it.. So now you need something to tell your amp what to push..
Your existing HU will with 'line out adapter'.
The premium HU upgrade will do it too, W/O the line out adapter.. BUT the Premium HU does NOT have more power than the stocker.. Your front & back Speaks will sound the same...
You want to go cheap... You go with a 20 dollar 'line out adap[ter' to you existing Hu & add an amp to your Pyles..
A used amp can be found ANYWHERE.. Look to craigslist.org in your area & you'll get one that day..
or garage sales.. or even wally world for less than 50 bucks....
That's the cheapest way.... if that's really what your'e looking for...
JUST REMEMBER.......... when you cheap out....... later on down the road, you'll want to 'do it right' & up grade your sounds.... then you'll be stuck with trying to get rid of your cheap stuff........ just a thought......... good luck with your subs... jh
Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
yes you DO need an amp.. The premium HU aint gonna push your Pyles.. An Amp has to do it.. So now you need something to tell your amp what to push..
Your existing HU will with 'line out adapter'.
The premium HU upgrade will do it too, W/O the line out adapter.. BUT the Premium HU does NOT have more power than the stocker.. Your front & back Speaks will sound the same...
You want to go cheap... You go with a 20 dollar 'line out adap[ter' to you existing Hu & add an amp to your Pyles..
A used amp can be found ANYWHERE.. Look to craigslist.org in your area & you'll get one that day..
or garage sales.. or even wally world for less than 50 bucks....
That's the cheapest way.... if that's really what your'e looking for...
JUST REMEMBER.......... when you cheap out....... later on down the road, you'll want to 'do it right' & up grade your sounds.... then you'll be stuck with trying to get rid of your cheap stuff........ just a thought......... good luck with your subs... jh
thank u. thats teh solution i was looking for! Im so strapped for cash. so spending 260 on a new HU was not really gonna work. and i did not know they were the same output still. whats wally world??? and yea i will uprgrade later. i just want some sound while i work on my lights stuff. (HID KIT and cathodes!!!)
Old 09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wally world.. Walmart
Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my bad never knew that
Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 PM

JIMMBOMB is right on the money in this case in my opinion. It's all about spending your dollars where they will do you the best, you can drop like 30 bucks on one of the best LOC's in world from SoundGate, and then spend the cash that matters on the AMP for your subs. If later down the road you do make the change to the AFM HU you have not wasted 260 on the premium head, but instead 30 on the LOC that you will no longer need. Less waste, and plenty of performance. Who knows maybe with the good LOC you will be happy with the sound a good amp gives you. But remember no matter what amp you purchase, get something desent, and always plan on spending some coin on wires for it. You will want the right power and ground feeds for what ever you get, just don't forget that copper cost cash right now.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LVMYXB
JIMMBOMB is right on the money in this case in my opinion. It's all about spending your dollars where they will do you the best, you can drop like 30 bucks on one of the best LOC's in world from SoundGate, and then spend the cash that matters on the AMP for your subs. If later down the road you do make the change to the AFM HU you have not wasted 260 on the premium head, but instead 30 on the LOC that you will no longer need. Less waste, and plenty of performance. Who knows maybe with the good LOC you will be happy with the sound a good amp gives you. But remember no matter what amp you purchase, get something desent, and always plan on spending some coin on wires for it. You will want the right power and ground feeds for what ever you get, just don't forget that copper cost cash right now.
LOC=Line out adapter??? ya amps are expensive. any good ones u know of and wires? I need ones that can power to POLK 12" subs. imma buy a new box too. cause mines ____ty and fallin apart.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 AM

Yup, LOC = Line Output Converter, sorry many former years of retail showing through there, I will try to remember to tone down the technobabble. As for amp recommendations there are a slew of choices for you. Key factors to consider are which series of Polk 12's you want to run and what kind of power you will need. I think just about anything in the 250-400 watt category will give you what you need. Recommendations are always tough because you never want to hurt any feelings or forgetfully leave someone out, but here goes anyway. Typically in that price range about all the amps you get are not going to be separated by much, mostly cosmetic differences, and maybe a few creature comfort function changes, but nothing ground breaking. Always remember that power costs around a buck a watt(.80 to 1.20) is pretty typical. The only ones you really want to avoid are brands that try to convince you that you are getting 1000 watts for 200 bucks, you know who they are already so no need to call anybody out.

Hope that is helpful without inspiring hostile feeling in anyone, if you have further more specific requests I will be more than happy to give you my .02.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LVMYXB
Yup, LOC = Line Output Converter, sorry many former years of retail showing through there, I will try to remember to tone down the technobabble. As for amp recommendations there are a slew of choices for you. Key factors to consider are which series of Polk 12's you want to run and what kind of power you will need. I think just about anything in the 250-400 watt category will give you what you need. Recommendations are always tough because you never want to hurt any feelings or forgetfully leave someone out, but here goes anyway. Typically in that price range about all the amps you get are not going to be separated by much, mostly cosmetic differences, and maybe a few creature comfort function changes, but nothing ground breaking. Always remember that power costs around a buck a watt(.80 to 1.20) is pretty typical. The only ones you really want to avoid are brands that try to convince you that you are getting 1000 watts for 200 bucks, you know who they are already so no need to call anybody out.

Hope that is helpful without inspiring hostile feeling in anyone, if you have further more specific requests I will be more than happy to give you my .02.
sure!! thanks though! i saw some of those on ebay. like 50 bucks for some amazing car amps. not fake selligns so idk what to think. if i find a amp that i like ill ask u more about it. and i need the most cost effective so at a buck a watt. im going to get an amp that i can hook up more htan just subs. casue im going to add to my system. later i just have the subs now.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious but what is the advantage of using a cheap-___ $20 line-out convertor over using the cheap-___ line convertor that is already integrated into most amps?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Just curious but what is the advantage of using a cheap-butt $20 line-out convertor over using the cheap-butt line convertor that is already integrated into most amps?
im not sure mabye becasue they cant be pulled from the unit?? also i have the base and it seems like there isn't anything added with the base. but then again i have no idea what im really tlaking about jsut thoughts right now.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure that if an amp already has line level inputs there is no reason to use a LOC.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the base head unit has no RCA things its simplya stock HU. so thats where the LOC comes in handy
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 PM

I just put an Amp and sub in a friends Jeep with the stock HU which doesn't have RCAs and if you get an Amp with speaker level inputs there is NO NEED to use a LOC. He bought a Kicker ZX400.1 Sub Amp and it sounds good with the speaker level inputs.
So, when you look for your amp you might think about getting 1 with speaker level inputs. You said you are strapped for cash and that is a way to save 20 to 30 bucks. Every little bit helps. You also said you would be adding to your system later so, you might also want to think about getting a 2 or 4 gauge wiring kit that way you can use a distro-block later instead of replacing the whole kit or running multiple wire to the power source. Just some thoughts

As for buying the Premium HU to replace the Base HU.... Don't waste your money, I have the Premium HU and hooked my system up with it and I still want a new HU.

Quick Reply: Battle of the HU's