Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Another redundant question about trade in and accessories

Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another redundant question about trade in and accessories

I've been searching and browsing all the threads I could find on this, but still had some questions regarding trade in and accessories regarding a XB for a XB2.

My XB was purchased a tad over one year ago. It has 17k miles, and was in one accident. It was rear ended by a hit and run drunk (that I caught up with afterwards) and suffered minor dents in the bumper. I received nearly $900 from her insurance in the end. But the damage isn't visible unless it's perfectly spotless, and you look REALLY close in perfect light. I was just planning on getting one of those guard strips for the bumper, it would completely cover the nearly invisible scratches. They look like cat scratches. That and there is a tiny ding in the rear passenger door. Interior is PERFECT and I kept the floor mats in storage in case I sold or traded the vehicle. Car is all stock otherwise.

Local Scion dealer offered $11,000 trade in value for it last week, even though I never fixed the bumper. Part of me thinks this is a great deal, other part thinks it sounds suspicious. Any thoughts?

About XB2 accessories, I was thinking of the 18 inch rims and fog lights. Most people say to get the XB stock, and buy aftermarket. But the dealer said they can do the lights for $300 including installation, and rims for $1400 including tires and warranty. I don't think I would like installing fog lights, and I want the tires done right to specifications. So I am thinking these two would be best handled by dealer during purchase. Also thinking about sunroof/moonroof (can't remember the difference) but found little information about this, and time ran out for me at dealer.

My current plan is to get a blue or silver XB2 around Dec or January when my loan is paid down more, and other accounts paid off.

Only reason I am trading the XB so soon is because of safety, and I don't want to hold on to a collector's car. It's making me feel guilty anytime I drive it or push it beyond 3k RPMs. I want a happy memory of it going to a better home, lol. Plus, I did cheat by test driving a XB2. The XB knows about it too
Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look on scion .com i think fog lights are 250 installed
you can get factory stuff cheeper from ebay i got all of mine from toyota dealer in ca i live in mn only charged me 17.00 for ups and i got 5 add ons .i dont know if i can list the name on here or not
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

I just traded my 06 bone stock xb with 14k miles on it. It was mint condition with not a scratch or ding anywhere on it. My dealer offered 11,500 for it but i was able to get them to 12,000 after alot of work. I wouldn't bother with any accessories since ebay is much cheaper.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only concern is the fog lights. The rims and tires seem minor as long as the tire pressure sensor is reinstalled.

How difficult is it to install a for light switch that doesn't look half arsed or a cut and paste special?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Another redundant question about trade in and accessorie

Originally Posted by dgenem
Local Scion dealer offered $11,000 trade in value for it last week, even though I never fixed the bumper. Part of me thinks this is a great deal, other part thinks it sounds suspicious. Any thoughts?

Only reason I am trading the XB so soon is because of safety, and I don't want to hold on to a collector's car. It's making me feel guilty anytime I drive it or push it beyond 3k RPMs. I want a happy memory of it going to a better home, lol. Plus, I did cheat by test driving a XB2. The XB knows about it too
I had an 06 with 22k, car was paid off, clear title, the first dealer offered me 11k, I laughed in his face and left, after the thrid dealer, I got $13,200 and no dealer fees, the only things I had on the car was spoiler, cruise, auto, security. It does pay to shop around, I live in FL as well and the dealers here are kinda shadey. You may also want to think of selling private, you will also get more that way as well.
I got the 08 for many reasons but the #1 was safety, I did not feel the 06 had enough power and the a/c sucked the life out of the poor little 1.5, the 08, my god!!! it is like driving a benz when you compare the xb to the xb2,I say trade up!!! BTW, I got the Hypnotic Teal, I wanted to be different from everyone, most get black, white or silver...Good luck
Old 11-13-2007, 04:48 AM

Default Trade in Value

I bought my 05 Black Cherry xB in June of 2004 ..... it has a 2 inch crack in the front skirt (hit a big chuck of ice on the highway) ..... a couple of parking lot door dings just about the drivers side wheel ..... a couple of good scratches here and there ..... stock rims with new Goodride yes Goodride not Goodyear tires on front with the original almost wore tires on back ..... the rear skirt supports are all broke (they can't see that) and I have no service records at 42000 miles and they are give me $9,400 which is a lil more than I owe.

I will pick up my 08 Super White xB with.....
Spoiler
Fog Lights
Alarm w/ remote start
Overhead Compartment
16 optional Wheels
C-Pillar Storage

I might get the lighting kit......maybe

I'm gonna order the mats and cargo cover online
Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should be very "upside down" on your trade, which isn't surprisinig. I was a Senior Sales & Leasing consultant for an Acura dealership for years, as well as asst. to both the new car general sales mgr. and the used car mgr. Based on the description of your xB gen 1's condition, you should be elated that they are offering you any more than $7,000. I'm guessing that you are at the same dealership where you purchased your '04, and they are being generous to keep your business. Take the trade-in value, get an '08, and laugh your way all the way to the bank!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just did this for you:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/sci...tion=vdpresult

Based on your description of condition, a dealership would actually rate it as rough, which drops the value another $1000! Take the money and run!!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, just realized it's an '05, but it's still only worth $6,500 as a trade-in:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/sci...tion=vdpresult
Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 AM

I did it on KKB and NADA it doesn't have over $3,000 in body work.....when I checked everything (except the body work it is either none, +$3,000 or -$3,000, I checked the last) on the bad end of the scale just to give me the worst case.....I got $9,640 from KKB and it was just a bit lower on NADA.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:33 AM

I'm not upside down.....I'm getting more than I owe.....plus I most of that Toyota Extended Care money back......don't know if you can get any GAP maoney back....I don't think I can.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Just did this for you:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/sci...tion=vdpresult

Based on your description of condition, a dealership would actually rate it as rough, which drops the value another $1000! Take the money and run!!!!
I just looked at the discription and it is Average not rough.....but it won't be mine anymore so why do I care......I did take it to a Delta Sonic Super Kiss Car wash and have it cleaned inside and out, waxed and shampooed (<is that spelled right?) about 60 bucks well spent.

I hope this reply right...if not it will be one after the other
Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear ya. Many people try to rely on KBB and NADA trade in values, but as the industry saying goes... "if you can get Kelley Blue Book to pay you that much, then sell it to them" (they don't buy cars!) I wasn't trying to denigrate your xB1, just point out that the trade in value you are being offered is VERY fair. The fact that they will give you more than you owe does mean that you are NOT upside down, but at many dealerships you would be. That was my only point. I say trade it in and join the xB2 crowd with more power, size and safety. Best wishes, and more Scion power to you.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're car is worth between $11500 and $12000. But there are so many factors....Even though Scion sets pricing(MSRP) there are other factors like financing and warranty. If they don't make money on your trade, they will get it back somewhere.