Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

08 XB2 Door disassembly/panel removal [SOLVED]

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 PM

Default 08 XB2 Door disassembly/panel removal [SOLVED]

Hey I just got a new xB Monday (Toyota was kind enough to crash my 05 xB on their lot while repairing it from a hit and run) and I got the premium sound unit so I would have my pre-amp outs however there is a slight problem, I have no idea how to remove the door panels. Could someone please leave instructions and\or pictures of how to remove the door panels please? If there is already another thread on door panel removal please link me, I spent an hour looking around (not just this site) and couldn't find anything. Thanks again, now I'm off to find a thread on removing the stereo unit so I can hook up my amps

EDIT: Anyone just reading this and wondering why I put [SOLVED] in the topic....linux forum habit lol. When I get pictures I will post for everyone's reference.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its like a puzzle.... just start pulling
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

start at the bottom and pull out, hard.there are just push in fastners that hold the pannel into the door itself. don't be scared, just give it a good tug, and work your way up to the window
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait......... there is a screw in the part where your window buttons are.... remove that screw then pull up on that entire assembly & the window buttons panel will pop up... then un=plug that wiring harness & set it aside.... Now the door open handle INSIDE... has a "cover" UNDER the handle. The cover is shaped like a big 'D"... pull that cover off & away (no tools... finger tips only) from the door opener handle from the inside...
With the "D" cover removed, you will see another phillips screw........ remove it too!..
NOW you are ready to take the door panel completely off the door! good luck... sorry no pictures. but you got 2 screws to deal with or you will tear up your new door panel... jh
ps..

oh yeah... Your tweeter has to be pulled too. Just pull it out & disconnect the wire plug..... No tools here either.. just finger tips..
Old 09-27-2007, 02:30 AM

Alright, thanks for the information guys. I'm going to replace my rear speakers tomorrow, I think they are defective so I am going to just hand them to toyota....one of the managers decided to enjoy this car for the first 1282 miles and must have shorted the speakers somehow...but because of the mileage I got an amazing deal. I have lots of work to do to my car and when I get it all done I am going to start posting pictures step-by-step of how I did everything...next step after just this minor upgrade is dynamat...I'm still not sure if theres a difference between windows up or down when listening to music....sound leak is bad.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You aint gonna let Toyota relpace yor speakers for you?? I mean they ought to be under warranty???. Be advised that your speakers are rivited in & they will need to be drilled out!!.. If you aint comfortable doing that, you may want to let your warranty do that for you!.. Then you can up-grade AFTER you get your car back & the rivits will be already drilled out for you!!!.. just a thought.. good luck.jh
Old 09-28-2007, 03:01 AM

That is a good idea but after toyota crashing my 05 xB I don't plan on trusting them anytime soon. One of my friends has the rivets in his truck and did everything himself so I'm just gonna ask him to work on my car for me, probably gonna replace all the rivets if I can, thanks for the idea though.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SnackMasterX
Alright, thanks for the information guys. I'm going to replace my rear speakers tomorrow, I think they are defective so I am going to just hand them to toyota....one of the managers decided to enjoy this car for the first 1282 miles and must have shorted the speakers somehow...but because of the mileage I got an amazing deal. I have lots of work to do to my car and when I get it all done I am going to start posting pictures step-by-step of how I did everything...next step after just this minor upgrade is dynamat...I'm still not sure if theres a difference between windows up or down when listening to music....sound leak is bad.

Thanks again everyone!
If you think they are defective because the volume is lower than the front, it is because the back speakers are for "ambient" sound. When you crank up the volume they will get louder, I asked the same thing and I was told, (in great detail) why they are like that, the guy who told me is a 30 year a/v expert so I figured he knows what he is talking about.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 AM

Id turn off the "increase volume with acceleration" feature too...Just set it where you want it...that thing drives me nuts.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:28 PM

I actually really like that feature its saves from constantly changing the volume.