Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

A Mouse!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
SL Member

Default A Mouse!

I got in my car Sunday morning, and found a few kernels of dry dog food sitting on the floor, but assumed I had probably had a hole in the bag and spilled a little. Monday morning there was some sitting on the back seat. Hmmmmmmmmm.... Thought that was odd that I hadn't noticed it earlier.
Monday evening, getting ready to go home from work, I opened the glove compartment, and, Whoa! There was about three cups of Purina sitting in there, and a bottle of glasses cleaner had a hole chewed into it. GRRRR. So Monday night I set a trap, using good old Jiffy as bait and went to bed with thoughts of mouse guts getting splattered all over the carpet. Tuesday morning, trap sprung, no mouse, no peanut butter.
Tuesday night, reset trap, more jiffy. Wednesday morning, trap sprung, no mouse, no guts, no Jiffy!
I threw the trap out the door in disgust, got in the car, started it and turned on the overhead light. The little (soon to be!) angel had left poo on the dash. I also had realized what had looked like little splatters of soda or something that had been appearing over the last few days (and had been diligently wiped off), were his little bladder drippings!
Now I'm really ticked, I have to get this little bugger. I don't want his goo in my car, nor do I want things more important and expensive getting chewed up.
Any meeses trapping ideas?
This is obviously one wily little rodent, quicker than a Victor M035.
I really don't like the idea of sticky traps. Although I have thought of laying a few strips of Gorilla tape upside down in the car. I would rather a quick snap and it's over than being stuck and waiting for some hairless beast to attack.
Kiiski
Old 10-10-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be all over that little bastard. Oh wait, I mean I would have my wife do it. I am terrified of anything non-human/dog/cat. I would trade the car in.

Also, post a pic of your xB. Looks awesome from the small pic, but I checked your posts and can't find a pic of it.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I'd try sticky traps. Better to hid rid of that thing before it procreates, assuming there might be more than one. Get rid of it ASAP, and use multiple traps.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Small pile of dog food surrounded by multiple traps. Dog food sitting on top of (and stuck to) sticky schtuff. Set it up in the passenger side, since he's been there already and he can get to it.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

put the dog food in a vermin proof container so the mouse can't get to it.

then, get some of those live capture type traps so you don't have a mess to clean up after.

you want to get this thing asap. a mouse made a home out of my grandpa's old honda accord, the little bastard stored dog food in the air conditioning vents, so whenever we made a turn, you could hear it rolling around in the vents.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Poison, BUT then if it dies and you can't get to it the stench... eek.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM
SL Member

Wait a minute... the xb's what, 100 cubic feet of space..... go out and look for the thing.... maybe take the seats out, etc. chances are its started a nest which should also be visible. I don't see how it could be so hard to find it in a small box on wheels...

Bummer none the less....
Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like drax said, get the live capture traps that they crawl inside of, but can't get out... then take a lil' trip and dump that SOB far away ;)
Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Poison, Decon. It may be a pack rat in which case you will need the decon for rats.
The reaction with the mouses system makes it feel hot, so the mouse will travel outside to a cool location if you are lucky. Otherwise you can follow the trail of ants to the dead mouse. Good luck. I recently rented a house with a rodent problem. SOB!!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a cat... or a good ol' gopher snake.....
Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Lol... Get a snake and cover it in peanut butter.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you choose poison, this is the way to go!

http://www.jibjab.com/view/147292

petchow brand rat poison!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fire.........

or sticky traps
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 AM
SL Member

I have a pet snake, it hasn't been fed in a couple weeks, stop by she'll find the rat real quick.

On a more realistic note though, have you tried rummaging through the car to find the thing? perhaps get in and turn the heater all the way up so it will get out of the vents if it's in one of them, and search around in the car while that's going on to see if it's somewhere else.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One gallon of regular unleaded, one road flare.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
SL Member

Wow,
lot's of responses,
Timmer, it's a bone stock BCM, I photoshopped some baby moons on it, but haven't been able to find any to fit a newer import.
I have looked all over the car, under seats, nooks and crannies and so for forth, no nest or any other signs of the little turd machine. I set a couple of traps last night and they were undisturbed, unlike me.
I am getting a life trap this evening, and will see how that works out. It is starting to get nasty weather wise around here, so I'm sure he/she is looking for somewhere dry to live.
I have the dog food stored in a metal garbage can with the lid bungied down to keep the racoons and coyotes out of it, but mice can get through really tiny cracks. I'm sure it's a mouse and not a rat, judging by the rice sized poo.
I'm just waiting to go out to the car to find it kicking back and watching a DVD and snacking on the purina.
Thanks for all of the suggestions?
Kiiski
Old 10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

put a cat in there with its litterbox over night, the mouse may sense the smell of a cat and get hell out of dodge
Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you don't like glue traps, but as others have stated, they work better and are actually cleaner. The glue is ticker than jello, it won't get in your carpet or anything. The mouse will die of a heart attack when it gets trapped, at least that's what I've always seen. I've never seen one alive after getting stuck, they freak out or something and die.

***EDIT*** BTW, mice are getting smarter or at least know about the old fashioned mouse and rat traps. I've watched them run. then tiptoe around the traps and take the food,, and run on. But they don't know about the glue traps. Live traps require a bit of weight and disturbance to set them off, not likely to work.

Oh, and like poster just said, cats will prevent any mouse problem. Natural deterrent.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

the only solution.... i will send you my cat in a box and lock her in there for 10 minutes and i guarantee she comes back less hungry and no more mice in your car!

she is a hunter! we actually found her(she was an old man's who never fed or paid attention to her) so my moms called animal service and they said that they would take her away from him, and then we got to keep her....

i sware man...ill do it!

she will kill

Quick Reply: A Mouse!