Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Is pricing really fixed or is there flexibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Is pricing really fixed or is there flexibility?

I am considering purchase of a new Scion...

My question...

Is the pricing truly fixed in the sense that there's no haggling and all dealers have the same pricing?

I know there is variation in terms of what options one chooses to add. But, for exactly the same vehicle is it possible to get a better deal at one dealer over another?

Can one make offers like on other vehicles?

Do some dealers have additional fees that others don't?

I am in Northern California.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, dealership fees should be standard accross he state. they are just "added profit margin" fees. if they charge you a fee other than tax tag and title, your getting ripped.

price is fixed, no haggling, some dealerships will throw in accessories for free like floor mats or some cheap stuff. some dealerships might give you a better price on your trade in.

don't add any accessories at the dealership, they charge rediculous amounts. just get the car itself from the dealership, the rest you can order from www.trdsparks.com for a much better price.

some dealerships actually discount the price somewhat.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The price of the car is fixed through Scion. The price of accessories is whatever the particular dealership wants to charge, though it's usually pretty close to the suggested price on the Scion corporate website. I searched on every Scion dealership's website in my area (about 7) and they all have accessory price lists, some broken down to part vs. installed price. There can be some huge price differences at dealerships only miles away from one another. One dealership listed the TRD Wheels for $2150.00 including TRD wheel locks (as stated on the Scion corporate site). Another dealership is charging $2599.00 for the TRD wheels and you have to buy the wheels locks separately. Total rip-off. But it is still Pure Price because you can't haggle. What the dealer charges is what the dealer charges. So it works both for you and against you.

My advice. Go to the website of the dealerships you are considering and go to their Accessory Price List and compare. If you aren't buying any accessories installed and want to do it all yourself go to the aforementioned www.trdsparks.com
Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a good explanation of Pure Pricing: Click here and here
Old 10-11-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've seen dealers discount them. I know there's one here that has $500 off their tc's
Old 10-14-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pure pricing DOES NOT state that all dealers must charge the same price. Pure pricing states that the price must be consistant and advertised. This is the loop hole. Originally it was designed so that you would go to your local dealer to buy your Scion and get Accessorries and get it serviced and build a relationship. But some dealers became gready and figured out this loop hole. So now Dealer A might have a tC priced at MSRP while Dealer B 10 miles away might have ALL tCs priced $100 less then MSRP. Who are you going to go to ? Dealer A who might be knowledgeable and friendly, or Dealer B who just wants to make a sale.

I know how the game is played. I used to be a salesman at a Scion dealer.