Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Custom shift knob, other accesories, help on one project!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Custom shift ****, other accesories, help on one project!

I had recently purchased some glow in the dark power and paint and I wanted to see what I could do with it. With all the custom shift ***** I thought i could make my own. Its a little smaller than the stock shifter but it feels nice. There is a little bit of the shaft visible and that white plastic piece, but ill figure out how to cover it later. The shift **** is a basic shape but it looks cool at night or in the dark, got a low glow to it. Looks cool i think.
It might look cool with an led under it lighting up the whole thing making it glow real bright but thats another project. Here are some pictures.

Any opinions?

I also replaced my interior lights with LEDs. They dont get warm and use very little energy. I even put a UV led in one of the map lights and it adds a cool glow.
I replaced the brake lights with LEDs too. I dont think the are quite as bright but i like that they use a lot less energy. I might not have gotten the brightest ones either though. Lots of options at superbrightleds.com.

One other project i wanted to do was put a light that shines down when the tailgate is open thus illuminating the area if you wanted to... have a tailgate party or needed some light in the back. Ive got a cluster of 6 LEDs on a circuit board that takes 12 volts, however I am not sure what to run it off of. I couldt do the license plate lights or the windshield washers. Im thinking the only thing i could do is tap into the wires that go to the electronic lock mechanism. I dont want to runa whole bunch of wire. Is this possible? Do 12 volts go to the lock? Any help is appreciated as I do now know much about electricity. I guess i should get a multimeter to see what gives off 12 volts huh?

Last project im doing is some black fabric with dowels to make a cover for cargo. Basically just put some velcro on the cargo area and the fabric and the dowels should keep it from sagging.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone here with some electrical knowledge?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there's a light in the trunk that turns on (if you have it switched that way) when you open the hatch. get behind it, find the wires, and tap into it, run em up (cleanly) to wherever you want the light mounted.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats what I was thinking but it looked relatively complicated to run the wires through the wall and into the hatch. A lot of it seems concealed.
I guess I could put it on the inside of the ceiling...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any other electricity guys?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn well i just did my interior+ plate lates (soon!!) but u might have better luck asking a dealer or a custom body shop. my .02