View Full Version : Cleaning the engine?

TriOpticon
10-19-2007, 06:46 PM
My xB2 is about 2 months old. I love it. With my last car, I never cared about how the engine looked when the hood was opened so for 9 years I never cleaned it. For some reason, I care about how the engine looks in my xB2.

So, how does one keep the engine clean without ruining things?

Thanks.

uberspeed
10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Engine Brite

jallamas
10-20-2007, 02:48 AM
There is some stuff from Lowes, it smell like oranges and works great. Make sure you cover alt and the car is cold.

John

ScionFred
10-20-2007, 04:31 AM
I just drive to the local car wash, use their engine cleaner and rinse it off. I've been doing this for 20 years now and never had a problem.

OldYeller
10-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Since cars no longer have points and condensers you do not have to worry so much about getting the engine wet. If you keep after it--it is not hard to keep the engine bay clean. Most dirt/grease will just wipe off if you pay attention to it.

dgenem
10-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Since cars no longer have points and condensers you do not have to worry so much about getting the engine wet. If you keep after it--it is not hard to keep the engine bay clean. Most dirt/grease will just wipe off if you pay attention to it.

Same here. Both my 06 gen1 Scion and my 01 Corolla I wash the engine with the same soap I use on the outside. I have over 150k miles on Corolla, and 18k on Scion.

I do it while it's cold, light rinse, little scrubbing, then another quick rinse. I wipe it down, let it dry then start it up. I haven't had any problems from this. Even when I do not wait the two hours.

I realized after I somehow splashed mud way up into the top of the hood of my Corolla that Toyota seems to build them pretty well with major splashing in mind.

I don't trust degreasers, they can get in places that need their grease.

whitebreadbox
10-21-2007, 11:37 AM
what every you do, DON'T use anything that says DO NOT USE ON ALUMINUM!!!! it will react horribly with the engine, causing corrosion and discoloration. i've made that mistake on a very expensive small block... still ran great, i just couldn't show it off any more. :doh: otherwise, the electrical connectors on these engines are so water tight that normal cleaning won't effect them. don't go crazy and blast it with 2500psi. and as mentioned before, a plastic bag over the alternator and keeping it away from the CAI (if installed) is highly recommended.

shinjakuroi
11-06-2007, 03:08 AM
I haven't bothered in my tC. But I can say that in my Dodge Stealth I spray the engine down with degreaser when it's warm, then let it sit for a bit before rinsing it off. Works like a charm and has never given me problems in the 4 years I've been doing it. Though I doubt most would agree with this method. In other words, your mileage may vary. :-P

XD40tC
11-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Everytime I wash the car I just wet a microfiber wrag and go under the hood and start wiping stuff. Keeps the engine clean and is easy every time. It sucks to wait a long time and then have a lot more to clean...