Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Using Engine Brake in Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Using Engine Brake in Auto

In the S-Mode, if you lower your gear to slow down instead of braking does this hurt the engine in anyway? I make sure not to drop too low too fast to avoid higher RPM's and such, but sometimes it just feels wrong, lol. I will usually use this to slow down coming off a freeway sometimes and stuff like that. Is this bad for the engine? It mentions it in the manual but im new to the S-Mode and never have touched a manual, so I want to hear your input before I go using it anymore!

From what I understand, as long as you don't redline (or get too close) you won't hurt the engine, and even if you wanted to, the computer would over-ride you... Such as when I was going 70mph on the freeway and accidently bumped my car into reverse.. I was scared to death and slammed it back into drive ASAP... Luckily, I think the car knew and never did anything, whew!

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wtf?

are you serious? no, engine braking doesn't hurt then engine unless you downshift too low and over rev the engine which is only possible with a real manual transmission. as in one that comes with a clutch pedal.

when you downshift in s-mode, the computer takes a moment to determine what rpm you will be in when you downshift, and if it is too high, it will simply refuse you and stay in the gear it is.

as for accidentally shifting into reverse, no car, auto, semi auto or manual should let you shift into reverse while the car is in motion. it should only let you go from drive into neutral, which is probably what happened, you went from drive into neutral, and probably thought it was reverse. and freaked out and put it back in drive.

don't worry, s-mode really stands for suggestion mode, you can suggest a gear change to your car, and it can approve or deny your suggestion depending on whether or not it will hurt the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyway. don't use engine braking when you don't have to. the engine already does all the work to get the car to move, why make it pull a double duty making it slow the car down too? that is what the brakes are for. engine braking are for prolonged periods like downgrades, and hills where you want to limit the speed of the car by leaving it in gear to help resist the pull of gravity.

rolling down the interstate in my tc, it can easly go 80 mph in neutral down the hills, which is ofcourse above the speedlimit, i can either hold the brake pedal to slow the car down for the entire length of the hill, or i can put it in 5th or 4th gear to control the speed.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Engine-braking is a wonderful thing but like all good things, it's best not to over-do it. I wouldn't worry about your engine but rather your auto tranny. I use it a lot but not as agressively as I would with a manual tranny where all you're wearing out is the clutch. In the end, brake pads and rotors are a lot cheaper than a AT rebuild so my advice is to be somewhat conservative when engine braking with an AT.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two questions, which is cheaper and more expendable, your automatic transmission or your brake pads? Which one do you want to replace sooner?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
as for accidentally shifting into reverse, no car, auto, semi auto or manual should let you shift into reverse while the car is in motion. it should only let you go from drive into neutral, which is probably what happened, you went from drive into neutral, and probably thought it was reverse. and freaked out and put it back in drive.
The car will let you do it. I've done if before. It made a funny noise before I was able to get it back in D again.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have used engine braking for twenty years or more. US cars too! and I have saved 100's of dollars doing it. Police look for brake lights when you're flying by. .
Never have I had a tranny problem. Ever! Just no crazy screwing around. Keep it gentle.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have always also subscribed to the "brakes are cheaper to replace" concept.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
The car will let you do it. I've done if before. It made a funny noise before I was able to get it back in D again.
seriously? what kind of car lets you shift the auto tranny gear selector to reverse while driving?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well thanks for the help! Definitely the better route to replace brakes then the tranny, I just wanted some opinions. Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

so... wait what are you doing? like 1st 2nd d w/ o/d off and d?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrfuzzy4
no, the new automatic xb's have a gear selection mode that lets you sort of choose when to up and downshift so long as the car agrees it is safe for the engine and such.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by chadfo
seriously? what kind of car lets you shift the auto tranny gear selector to reverse while driving?
Yes, my XB gen 2. When it was still less than two weeks old and I wasn't used to the shifter being up so high I went to reach for something and knocked it all the up to reverse. Scared the *$#^ out of me. I'm used to it now but I'm still thinking about finding a way to put in a short shaft to get it out of the way.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrfuzzy4
no, the new automatic xb's have a gear selection mode that lets you sort of choose when to up and downshift so long as the car agrees it is safe for the engine and such.
...whats the point? and i guess thats cool... but doesnt it work the same way i said, just maybe mines a little different...
Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danos_XBox
I have used engine braking for twenty years or more. US cars too! and I have saved 100's of dollars doing it. Police look for brake lights when you're flying by. .
Wait, are you kidding? I cannot tell if you are, if you are kidding, feel free to skip this.

Braking is not illegal, speeding is. You can be doing 120 mph, and unless the cop can prove you were, (radar/laser/pacing/vascar/etc), he cannot do anything to you. You can brake all you want, unless you do it in an unsafe manner (did I hear e-brake at 80 mph?), it doesn't matter. Basically, what I am saying is that braking conventionally vs engine braking will never make a difference in getting a ticket. Either the cop has evidence of you speeding or he doesn't.

On the other hand, I suppose it could make a difference subjectively. If you go by a cop with radar at 10 over and he respects the fact that you don't try to cover up what you were doing (no brake lights), I guess he might decide not to stop you or just give a warning.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its fine
Old 10-25-2007, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
(did I hear e-brake at 80 mph?)
OMG!lol

i, re reading, dont see a reason to not use your breaks. just thought id put in my 2 cents
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danos_XBox
Never have I had a tranny problem. Ever! Just no crazy screwing around. Keep it gentle.
I use handbrake when I don't need my brake lights giving me away.

I've known too many idiots cause transmission damage doing it. They weren't Toyotas, but the transmissions failed sometimes in less than 30k miles.

I've listened to mechanics argue about engine braking on automatics. That's why I always mention the cost of brakes versus transmissions.

Does anyone ever use engine braking as intended anymore?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a manual and I still just use the brakes. Pads are way cheaper than a clutch.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah braking after blowing by a cop is always something I wonder about - the lights say to the cop "he knows I saw him and he knows he was speeding" - had a friend going 26 in a 25 in a Prius late at night and the cop gave her a ticket said he clocked her coming the other way and gave her a hard time - ended up in coart. No telling what will happen - I have been clocked at 50 on cruise control doing 40 so I know what I am talking about.

Quick Reply: Using Engine Brake in Auto