View Full Version : NonStopTuning Pulley Kits

M3RS
10-26-2007, 04:35 AM
2008 xB pulleys from NonStopTuning.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToySciXB.htm

uberspeed
10-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I love the claim of increased HP in underdriven pulleys...

It's a gain from efficiency, the engine is still making the same HP. Then again, I suppose any gains "felt" are still gains.

ScionFred
10-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Lower hp loss = higher hp at crank and wheels. Although probably not the 7-10hp NST claims.

theracingrhino
10-27-2007, 04:42 PM
has anybody ordered the NST pulleys? Or is anybody planning to? I don't know very much about NST Do they have a good reputation?

M3RS
10-27-2007, 06:05 PM
NST has a good reputation on the tC forum, alot of people use NST pulleys

theracingrhino
10-27-2007, 08:07 PM
I never thought to look up pulley threads on the TC forum, thanks for giving me the idea. after reading up on the pulley i think ill look for another way to get a handfull of wheel horsepower out of my box...don't really wanna take the chance of nuking an oil pump chain or spinning a bearing. thanks for the post M3RS! :relief:

M3RS
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Alright, yeah I was looking at the tc forum becuase I own a tc

NonStopTuning
10-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Replacing OEM crank pulleys with aftermarket units has been a very popular mod in the Scion world over the past few years.

Here is just a little bit of information for you regarding NST (NonStopTuning) and our products...

My name is Mike and I am president of NST. Please feel free to look for me on AOL Instant Messenger at the screen name NSTonAIM should you have any questions, I would be more than happy to chat with any of you.

NST is a company that specializes in building pulley kits. Take a look around our website and you will see that we have over 100 different pulley kits listed for Toyota, Scion, Honda, Nissan, VW, etc.

NST has been the leader is sport compact pulley development over the past few years, often being the first to release pulleys for new platforms.

NST currently offers more pulley options for the Toyota 2AZ (tC, xB) thank all of our competition combined! We offer everything from underdrive, to light weight, to supercharger pulley options.

I think it is a pretty safe bet to say that more people on the tC forums use NST kits than any other brand. A quick search in the tC forums will easilly validate this claim.

Here are a few of the things that set us apart from our competition...

NST...
is the only company that supplies full kits for the Scion market,
is the only company offering crank pulleys at a low $110 MSRP,
is the only company that builds hard anodized pulleys for exceptional durability,
is the only company that offers you color options when it comes to YOUR pulley,
is the only company that has the president on AIM 7 days a week ready to answer any and all your questions about anything NST related!
etc etc etc!!!

You can purchase NST products from any of the following sources...
www.NonStopTuning.com
www.Garage1217.com
www.MicroImageOnline.com

Many thanks to those of you who have supported our brand and our products over the past few years, we certainly do appreciate it. Good luck and have fun with all your projects!

NonStopTuning
10-28-2007, 08:30 PM
From www.NonStopTuning.com ...

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/images/ENGINEpulleyILLUSTRATION.JPG

Think of it this way, underdrive means to slow down. Underdrive crank pulleys found at NonStopTuning are designed to slow down engine accessories and reduce parasitic loss.

Crank pulleys, attached to the outside of the crankshaft, are the source of power for a car's accessories. The alternator, power steering, water pump, and air conditioner are all belt driven units, attached to the crank pulley, that use horsepower from an engine to provide their own services. This draw of power by these accessories is called parasitic loss. NST underdrive crank pulleys increase an engine's horsepower by reducing the power required to drive these external accessories. By replacing factory pulleys with carefully resized units, the accessories are slowed enough so that their performance does NOT suffer, but just enough so that more horsepower is sent to the wheels and put to the ground. Where horsepower should be!

The R&D team at NST is dedicated to developing underdrive crank pulleys that provide great gains for track days and continue to deliver proper accessory output for everyday street use.

NST equipped cars do better on the track, benefit from increased accessory life on the street, and also deliver better mile-per-gallon fuel efficiency.

Again, please feel free to look for me on AIM at the screen name NSTonAIM should you wish to chat further about any of these topics, I would be more than happy to chat with any of you. You can also post your questions here and I would be happy to respond to them when I can.

NonStopTuning
10-28-2007, 08:38 PM
And regarding the issue of long term reliability and long term effects of NST crank pulley use.

PLEASE take a few minutes to look through the following thread that your own fellow board members have kept as a log over the past couple years...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122725&highlight=pulley+owners

More than 30 pages as of this reply, many many pulley owners' first hand experiences, and nothing but positive responses. Please take a few minutes to read through the thread and make your own decision based on real facts based on real experiences.

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with all your projects!

Garage1217
10-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Dang man that is some great info!

Guys I started selling NST pulleys after useing them for years on high reving 4ag series race motors. Most all the crap you hear on the net is hearsay and just spewed out as myths over time. Every car I own except my 4runner has NST pulleys. Rest assured your motor will not grenade, pumps will not suddenly fail, bearings will not implode or any of the other bs. If you do the fine reseach you will see no one on scionlife has had issues running pulleys and you will be very hard pressed to find anything on the net other than "I have heard of issues" but no that has had anything happen to them. NST pulleys are precision built and will free up more hp and allow quicker revs throughout the powerband. Very good mod for the money. If I felt they could cause an issue after all the years of running them, do you think I would have them on my own cars..? *LOL* Great product!

davedavetC
10-29-2007, 02:21 AM
oh hell yea! NST FTMFW baby! NEVER BUY PULLYS FROM ANYONE ELSE OR YOUR CAR WILL BLOW UP :rofl: i <3 these guys (no homo)

05-RS1
10-29-2007, 02:27 AM
definitely check out that pulley owners thread. tons of testimonials on there and it's all been positive!

tc4fun4me
10-29-2007, 02:53 AM
I use NST pulleys in both my tC (443 whp) and my Toyota Yaris (107 whp, lol).

Awesome product, very high quality, enough that we added it to our product line at G2 Autosports.

NonStopTuning
11-03-2007, 12:14 AM
The following thread will be up now through Sunday. Just in case any of you are interested...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198808

Many thanks everyone, good luck and have fun with all your projects!

:)

mnscionxb
11-15-2007, 04:33 AM
why dont you just do the $88.00 and let us send you with paypal and leave out ebay
then you dont have to pay ebay .

coryjames
11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
nonstop pulleys if you sold a bunch at 88 i bet you would get cleared out see i work and when you posted this they were all gone and i really really really want one

NonStopTuning
11-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Hi guys,

Thank you for your interest in our site and products, I certainly do appreciate it.

Unfortunately these were prices that were available only for one weekend. This was a special sale that we usually run only once a year. These are not typical prices. The auctions went up for one weekend and were then gone. Everyone was given the same chance to bid and pick one up.

You can buy these crank pulleys for our every day price of $110 on our website, www.NonStopTuning.com
Please check our pricing and compare with our competition. You will find that our $110 price tag is the LOWEST on the market compared to any of the other brands. In addition to the lowest prices we offer you the highest quality, best performance, color options to choose from, and excellent customer service via posting here, PMs, Email, IMs, etc.

Thanks again everyone, good luck and have fun with your projects!

mnscionxb
11-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I can hold off till next year

uberspeed
11-16-2007, 06:06 PM
What are the "gains" in just the lighter pulley? Not under or overdriven?

mnscionxb
11-16-2007, 06:33 PM
like 0

NonStopTuning
11-16-2007, 09:48 PM
What are the "gains" in just the lighter pulley? Not under or overdriven?

Lightweight aluminum pulleys like the NST -Lite Series of pulleys are usually about 70% lighter than the OEM pulleys they replace. Weight reduction in the rotating assembly leads to better throttle response and allows the engine to rev up to speed more quickly.

Lightweight underdrive aluminum pulleys like the NST Underdrive Crank Pulley take it one step further. You get the throttle response associated with weight reduction, and you also slow the accessories a bit to allow more hp to be sent to the wheels.

Testing has shown roughly 6-10 HP being freed on most four cylinder engines when an NST pulley kit has been installed. Other gains are better throttle response, better fuel economy via the weight reduction, and a better looking engine bay.

coryjames
11-16-2007, 10:40 PM
yeah oh well guess i wont be getting one

davedavetC
11-17-2007, 12:04 AM
why not? these are aweseom i just got my cr lite pulley today, ill probably install it sunday

coryjames
11-17-2007, 12:40 AM
i want to but 110 a little high i once you pay shipping your probably at 120 so yeah that could go to bigger and better things

hunterUnknown
11-17-2007, 12:58 AM
i dont know if its been discussed but do the accessories like a/c work LESS effectively because of the pulleys drawing power towards power delivery?

davedavetC
11-17-2007, 03:01 AM
well the accessories do lose a little power but its not enough to notice, ac will work fine and they do make an overdrive alt pully to bring the alt back to where it should be, or you can opt for the CR-Lite pulley like me and then you wont have to worry about the acc. running low.

and coryjames, the 120 price tag is well worth it. there are things in that price range that you may want to buy but give it a shot, i did and im happy.

NonStopTuning
11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
i want to but 110 a little high i once you pay shipping your probably at 120 so yeah that could go to bigger and better things

For $110, you get the excellent performance, the only pulley that is hard anodized for best long term use, color options, excellent service, and a pulley from the leader in pulley development for the Scion lineup. Finally, take a look around our website, www.NonStopTuning.com , and look at how many pulleys we have developed over the past few years. You would be very hard pressed to find another pulley retailer that can match our level of experience when it comes to pulley kits.

You can also try the following links to see what other pulleys usually sell for...

http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/136

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=6

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/UNO121211512.htm

This thread is turning into a progressive commercial... we show you our pricing and our competitor's!!!

:rofl:

coryjames
11-19-2007, 02:31 AM
you know i think i will buy as soon as the overdrive alt one is in do you guys have a discount if i buy all of them

NonStopTuning
12-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Picture courtesy of our good friend NoLimitzInd ...

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/NoLimitzInc/NSTpulley.jpg

Underdrive Crank Pulley NST02020
Installed on a 2008 Scion xB :love:

NonStopTuning
02-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Any new user reviews/thoughts/comments from current NST pulley owners?

xseveredveganx
02-22-2008, 03:41 AM

I'm just curious when I'm going to get an email back... I sent a question a couple weeks ago with no reply. :lalala:

I just want to know what size the alternator pulley is. I have a high output alternator made for a tC and the pulley is too large for the xB2. And I'm not sure if you're aware, but the xB2's alternator has some sort of a clutch in it. Does your pulley retain said clutch or will it be solid like the tC's?

I noticed the tC and the xB2's alt part numbers are the same.

kikcaffine
02-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Heres a comment/review for you. Best product ever. Period. Mine looks as if its been through a war and its working just as good as ever

NonStopTuning
02-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I just want to know what size the alternator pulley is. I have a high output alternator made for a tC and the pulley is too large for the xB2. And I'm not sure if you're aware, but the xB2's alternator has some sort of a clutch in it. Does your pulley retain said clutch or will it be solid like the tC's?

I noticed the tC and the xB2's alt part numbers are the same.

Our Overdrive Alternator Pulley is roughly 55mm and delivers roughly 15% more power/juice/output from the alternator in comparison to the OEM pulley.

Our pulley also eliminates the clutch mechanism and will run the alternator at idle. This is a very good thing for our customers who have upgrades stereo systems, extra lighting, etc.

We have been selling this pulley since early in 2005 and all of our customers have responded with great reviews and comments about their first hand experiences with this pulley.

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with your project!

xseveredveganx
02-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Well, PM me with some info for that alt pulley, bro!!

I want it, like 3 weeks ago! :lol:

But it says on your site it's on backorder until mid march... :(

whitebreadbox
02-22-2008, 10:36 PM

i bought the light weight crank and water pump pulley's and I LOVE THEM!!! its a great mod and product!!! would advise everyone to get at least the crank pulley. well worth the money!!!

sp2
03-11-2008, 08:06 AM
is the 7-10 hp gain
with combination of all 3?
or can that be achieved with like just the crank pulley?
curious?
and are the alternator and water really eta dec?

THansenite
03-11-2008, 02:58 PM
I believe just the crank pulley is 5-7 hp though it may be up to 10. A combination of all three is your best bet because you get rid of A LOT of rotating mass. I have heard amazing things from people that have purchased just the crank pulley. NST makes great quality products. I have bought from them before and will buy from them in the very near future. Plus, Mike is a great guy and is very enthusiastic about answering questions and making sure all of his customers get the best product possible.

sp2
03-16-2008, 08:27 AM
hey anybody wana post a DIY
on the crank pulley install?
would greatly appreciate it
thanks

NonStopTuning
03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
thanks

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100062&highlight=nst+pulley+diy
This is a very good installation guide.

We expect to have more pulleys back in stock in about two weeks.

:love:

xseveredveganx
03-17-2008, 09:35 PM
thanks

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100062&highlight=nst+pulley+diy
This is a very good installation guide.

We expect to have more pulleys back in stock in about two weeks.

Gah!! I need the alternator pulley soooo bad!!!!

NonStopTuning
03-18-2008, 04:03 AM
MARCH 31 2008!!!

THansenite
03-18-2008, 01:20 PM
MARCH 31 2008!!!

Awesome. :bow:

Looking forward to getting my pulley set ordered.

sp2
03-18-2008, 04:21 PM
whats the differance between the
20% underdrive crank
&
cr-light crank?

THansenite
03-18-2008, 04:28 PM
whats the differance between the
20% underdrive crank
&
cr-light crank?

The underdrive will spin your engine accessories a little bit slower to help reduce the loss of power going to the transmission. The smaller pulley diameter slows the accessories a little while having more torque to turn them.

The cr-light pulley is the same diameter as the stock pulley, just really light.

sp2
03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
so underdrive would be better for power increase
or would cr light add about the same?

NonStopTuning
03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
An Underdrive (NST02020) Crank Pulley will always release more power than any OEM diameter (CR-Lite) version. Underdrive Crank Pulleys are designed for n/a and turbo cars. This is the lightest pulley we currently offer.

The CR-Lite (NST02148) Crank Pulley can also be used on n/a or turbo cars, but is mainly designed for supercharged applications. This pulleys is OEM diameter, so that the supercharger will not be slowed.

There is a ton of information about the terms, underdrive, -lite, etc on our website and I am available on AOL Instant Messenger at the screen name "NSTonAIM" and would be more than happy to chat with you if you look me up.

sp2
03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
ok thanks man

NonStopTuning
03-20-2008, 08:41 PM
My pleasure. They will be in stock and ready to roll March 31.

TwistedScionxB
03-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Any chance for a sponsorship??? I am just starting to mod my new 08 and need new sponsors. maybe we can make a deal? :pray:

sp2
03-30-2008, 07:59 AM
hey NST
or anyone that knows
i plan on getting the under-drive crank pulley and the water/alternator
pulley kit
i heard u need a new belt
part #?
or any links
would be nice
thanks

THansenite
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Got my pulleys ordered. Can't wait to get them in.

NonStopTuning
04-03-2008, 08:20 PM
NEW PICS. NST CR-Lite Crank Pulley Kit ...

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/images/NSTScionTC/NST02020KG.JPG

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/images/NSTScionTC/NST02020KGR.JPG

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/images/NSTScionTC/NST02020KR.JPG

sp2
04-24-2008, 08:57 AM
what numbers ppl running just off the underdrive crank?
and what belt is needed for it?

NonStopTuning
05-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Any new pics or user reviews?

sp2
05-19-2008, 12:37 AM
no pic but got the under-drive crank pulley
i noticed its made throttle more responsive, and car runs a lil more smother

coryjames
05-19-2008, 12:48 AM
i have the light one i really dont know what it did if anything at all but it looks pretty i guess right?

DREWxB08
05-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Whats the price for the comeplete kit for the xB2?

sp2
05-19-2008, 06:44 AM
well its not like super noticeable but i did notice a little and does look nice

xseveredveganx
05-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm still too broke to get the alt pulley. Gah. :cry:

NonStopTuning
05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Whats the price for the comeplete kit for the xB2?

The crank pulleys are $110. You can use either NST02020 or NST02148.
The alternator and water pump pulleys can be ordered as a pair, NST02025K.

Good luck and have fun with your project!

sp2
05-24-2008, 10:13 PM
hey everyone i have the underdrive crank pulley on right now but i plan to get the alternator and water pump pulley soon too but i need to know what belt to get

any body know what belt ill need.

DAILYXB-TYPE-R
05-25-2008, 03:28 AM
well i went to the nst site and go to the nst belt guide and found out the listing is for a 07-08 scion xb with the part # K060735. you can check out the link.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/infoPageBelts.htm

NonStopTunning, are there's any discount for the scionlife memebers for getting a complete set including, undersize crank pulley, oversize alternator and the water pump?
i'm planning on order the complete set and notice it'll run me $300 including a new belt, any discount will be great

NonStopTuning
06-02-2008, 10:28 PM
NonStopTunning, are there's any discount for the scionlife memebers for getting a complete set including, undersize crank pulley, oversize alternator and the water pump?
i'm planning on order the complete set and notice it'll run me $300 including a new belt, any discount will be great

Thank you for your interest in our site and products, we appreciate it.

We offer all of our customers the exact same pricing, listed on our website. Our website does give you a discount if you buy three pulleys as a kit.

Alternatively, you can check with our Authorized NST Retailers for discounts...

Garage1217
WeSellCarParts
CarCandyMotorsports

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with your project!

bbturbo
06-24-2008, 02:21 AM
will the nst pulleys work for the 09 Matrix xrs?

NonStopTuning
06-24-2008, 04:32 AM
will the nst pulleys work for the 09 Matrix xrs?

YES!!! 2AZFE FTW!!!

NonStopTuning
07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
For those who have placed recent orders with us... Please feel free to add your thoughts and comments here in this thread. We would appreciate it.

jobdesigns
07-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Well this thread seems to be a HUGE advert for NST, 4 pages and growing! Has anybody installed Agency Power or any other brand of pulley? Is my car really gonna blow up if I use any of these other "inferior" products. I'm just questioning this thread because I haven't read anything on this site that seemed like a manufacturers products being too good to be true. I would like to install a pulley on my Xb soon, I just don't see any comparisons to help me decide which pulley to go with.

NonStopTuning
07-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Well this thread seems to be a HUGE advert for NST, 4 pages and growing! Has anybody installed Agency Power or any other brand of pulley? Is my car really gonna blow up if I use any of these other "inferior" products. I'm just questioning this thread because I haven't read anything on this site that seemed like a manufacturers products being too good to be true. I would like to install a pulley on my Xb soon, I just don't see any comparisons to help me decide which pulley to go with.

Good questions there. Here is another long thread with lots of user reviews, comments, and feedback from people who have owned and used these products for the past few years...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=248746

You probably see a lot of good reviews on the NST product for the following reasons...

1. NST was the first company to start pulley development for the Scion 2AZFE (tc and xb2) in early 2005.
2. NST offers more pulley options than all of the competition combined.
3. NST has a lower MSRP when compared to the competition.
4. NST has been a proud supporter of ScionLife, Scion related events, meets, and car shows since early 2005.
5. NST provides customer service via the forums, PMs, emails, AIM, and phone.

Good luck and have fun with all your projects!

jobdesigns
07-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Well Mike, I have to say you have an impressive following! I for one am thankful you support ScionLife, I've learned so much here. It's nice to have an imformative site to learn what to do and perhaps more importantly what NOT to do. I appreciate all who help me in this capacity.

NonStopTuning
07-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Well Mike, I have to say you have an impressive following! I for one am thankful you support ScionLife, I've learned so much here. It's nice to have an imformative site to learn what to do and perhaps more importantly what NOT to do. I appreciate all who help me in this capacity.

Thank you very much, the kind words are always appreciated.
Good luck and have fun with all your projects!

Redbeard46
07-10-2009, 05:44 PM
I bought one of your kits (3 pulley) for an 08 xb, and am wondering if I can get help on how to/easiest way get the alternator pulley off. ANYONE?

xseveredveganx
07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
The OEM alternator is clutched. The front has a seal, you'll have to get that seal out if you haven't already. Then from there, I don't know. Lol! I just replaced my alternator with a high amperage unit from a tC.

elwaylite
05-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Anyone done these pulleys on the xB?? How much of a PITA is the DIY?

ScionFred
05-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Anyone done these pulleys on the xB?? How much of a PITA is the DIY?

It's pretty easy if you have a impact wrench. Jack up passenger side front, remove wheel, remove small fender liner plastic cover, remove belt, remove crank pulley bolt. Re-assemble using new pulley and belt.

I bought a Kawasaki electric impact wrench for ~$75 but you can probably borrow or rent one.

elwaylite
05-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Ah, doesnt sound bad. So once the bolt is off, does the pulley come off fairly easily? Im starting to rethink the header as the next mod, after listening to some of the tC sound clips. May just replace the mid pipe and leave the rest alone. There are two pulleys, which on did you get?

TrevorS
05-11-2010, 02:33 AM
I have an Agency Power pulley on mine and it's great and it's definitely NOT an inferior product. However, the AP is the same diameter as OE, so if you're looking to get a power boost by underdriving your accessories (alternator et al), then you don't want AP. Since I don't want any surprises in that department, I stayed with OE sizing. I think this comes under the heading of "different strokes for different folks".

DJ_FroZone
05-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Ok i'll bite. i have a xb2. And its automatic. I been reading the threads and what not.
Heres what I think i understand.

the cr lite-if added can add maybe 3-4 hp and helps the car run a bit smoother.
Underdrive-adds more power so the car accels faster but electronic systems can take a hit.
Overdrive will offset a underdrive set and more or less helps the alternator out and running smooth again.
Am i right?

elwaylite
05-11-2010, 02:36 AM
Yeah, NST has a lite one too, that is the same size, just lighter weight. I wonder if there is much power diff between a lite one, and a lite underdrive.

I have an Agency Power pulley on mine and it's great and it's definitely NOT an inferior product. However, the AP is the same diameter as OE, so if you're looking to get a power boost by underdriving your accessories (alternator et al), then you don't want AP. Since I don't want any surprises in that department, I stayed with OE sizing. I think this comes under the heading of "different strokes for different folks".

ScionFred
05-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Ah, doesnt sound bad. So once the bolt is off, does the pulley come off fairly easily? Im starting to rethink the header as the next mod, after listening to some of the tC sound clips. May just replace the mid pipe and leave the rest alone. There are two pulleys, which on did you get?

After removing the crk bolt, the pulley slid right off. YMMV.

When I had a header and TRD axle-back I loved the exhaust sound. It was just right. Not too loud, not raspy and no drone. I would do the mid-pipe first and maybe add a header later. As long as you keep the scuba, it won't be too loud or raspy sounding, IMO. If you delete the scuba, you'll need to find the right resonator/muffler setup to replace it with or it will be too loud and raspy.

I went with the UD pulley for the whp increase. The lite pulley reduces reciprocating mass a little but when you consider the actual weight of that mass, those few ounces aren't that much. It's been on for ~ 1 year now and I haven't had any issues. Idle alt output is a little lower but still runs ~13.5V. I'd recommend the UD pulley from my experience.

NonStopTuning
05-11-2010, 05:14 AM
After removing the crk bolt, the pulley slid right off. YMMV.

I went with the UD pulley for the whp increase. The lite pulley reduces reciprocating mass a little but when you consider the actual weight of that mass, those few ounces aren't that much. It's been on for ~ 1 year now and I haven't had any issues. Idle alt output is a little lower but still runs ~13.5V. I'd recommend the UD pulley from my experience.

Thank you for the response and your review. We appreciate it.

Our Underdrive Crank Pulley has been a very popular pulley for us over the past five or so years. It outsells our CR-Lite version by apx. 3 to 1.

DJ_FroZone
05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Ok i'll bite. i have a xb2. And its automatic. I been reading the threads and what not.
Heres what I think i understand.

the cr lite-if added can add maybe 3-4 hp and helps the car run a bit smoother.
Underdrive-adds more power so the car accels faster but electronic systems can take a hit.
Overdrive will offset a underdrive set and more or less helps the alternator out and running smooth again.

and can they come in blue like one early poster had them
Am i right?
yea or no and how do these affect dealer warranties?

elwaylite
05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks Fred. I think I may fore go the header right now and do the UD pulley and midpipe, then it may be a good time for dyno #3 :)

TrevorS
05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
I went with the UD pulley for the whp increase. The lite pulley reduces reciprocating mass a little but when you consider the actual weight of that mass, those few ounces aren't that much.
Just for the record: The stock pulley weighs aprox 3lb 10oz (I just measured it). The AP pulley weighs under 1lb 8oz (can't remember the actual number), so the weight reduction exceeds 32 oz (2 lb). The difference was immediately evident on my xB2.

The alternator, A/C, and water pump all run off the accessory belt. Depending on the situation, any one could become an issue with an underdrive pulley. I strongly recommend considering your situational needs very carefully before going underdrive.

elwaylite
05-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Another thing to dyno!

ScionFred
05-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Thank you for the response and your review. We appreciate it.

Our Underdrive Crank Pulley has been a very popular pulley for us over the past five or so years. It outsells our CR-Lite version by apx. 3 to 1.

You're welcome and thank you for making a great product.

Thanks Fred. I think I may fore go the header right now and do the UD pulley and midpipe, then it may be a good time for dyno #3 :)

You're welcome. I think you'll like the UD pulley and a 2.25" mid-pipe will really free up your exhaust. You can always add a header later or buy mine now for only $100! :biggrin:

Just for the record: The stock pulley weighs aprox 3lb 10oz (I just measured it). The AP pulley weighs under 1lb 8oz (can't remember the actual number), so the weight reduction exceeds 32 oz (2 lb). The difference was immediately evident on my xB2.

The alternator, A/C, and water pump all run off the accessory belt. Depending on the situation, any one could become an issue with an underdrive pulley. I strongly recommend considering your situational needs very carefully before going underdrive.

Good points Trevor. 2 ibs is a significant reduction but compared with the total reciprocating internal engine mass (crank, rods, pistons, flywheel/flex plate, clutch assy/torque convertor) it's still not a lot. I suppose every bit helps though and it is a nice addition.

I was initially concerned about the potential issues with under-driving the water pump and alternator but after 20k miles all I've noticed is that the fans might kick on more often when idling and the alt output is a bit lower at idle (~13.5V). I use a OBD2 scan tool to monitor all the engine sensors and even boosted, I've never seen the ECT get above 210F, which is 12 o'clock on the oem gauge.

elwaylite
05-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Cool. Looks like UDP will be my next mod.

DJ_FroZone
05-12-2010, 05:56 AM
does the UD crank set come with the new belt that i assume your going to need? or is that separate?

NonStopTuning
05-12-2010, 11:55 PM
does the UD crank set come with the new belt that i assume your going to need? or is that separate?

Belts are sold separately and the proper belt number is listed on our website. You can order the correct belt from us or from your local auto parts store.

NonStopTuning
05-13-2010, 12:03 AM

From the NST website...

OEM Toyota/Scion Crank Pulley 59oz = 3.6lbs
NST CR-Lite Crank Pulley 14oz = .8lbs
NST Underdrive Crank Pulley 12oz = .7lbs

Accessory pulley weights are also listed on our website.

The NST Underdrive Crank Pulley was the first crank pulley offered to the Scion community back in 2005 and has been the most popular pulley in our catalog. The great weight reduction and the underdriving that this pulley provides make it the best performance option on the market.

No one has ever reported accessory issues due to the NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Every NST pulley goes through the proper amount of R&D before release and we realize that the majority of our customers pue their cars on the street as their daily driven means of transportation. We take this fact into very serious consideration when developing new products.

Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!

elwaylite
05-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Hey NST, didn't you say that there was no balancing issues, because these engines are internally balanced (I noticed they have no harmonic balancer)?

NonStopTuning
05-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey NST, didn't you say that there was no balancing issues, because these engines are internally balanced (I noticed they have no harmonic balancer)?

The 2AZ is internally balanced. Much much more info on this topic, and all other NST pulley related questions, in the comprehensive NST thread on ScionLife... http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154930

elwaylite
05-13-2010, 12:14 AM
I knew I had read that before, just did not remember where.

TrevorS
05-13-2010, 12:31 AM
I was initially concerned about the potential issues with under-driving the water pump and alternator but after 20k miles all I've noticed is that the fans might kick on more often when idling and the alt output is a bit lower at idle (~13.5V). I use a OBD2 scan tool to monitor all the engine sensors and even boosted, I've never seen the ECT get above 210F, which is 12 o'clock on the oem gauge.
Yes, Fred, but you also live in MD. For people who live in warmer climates and perhaps get stuck in traffic crunches and enjoy A/C and listening to the radio while waiting -- are they also definitely going to be OK?

I can't help but consider it a mistake to go by someone else's opinion on an issue like this, especially if that someone lives in a less accessory stressful area. People need to do their own thinking, not just go UD because someone recommended it.

Of course, if it doesn't work out, the buyer always has the option of selling the UD and buying an OE diameter lightweight instead. However, I think it's important people consider that possible eventuality in making their up front decision. This is money we're talking about and the issues are real.

elwaylite
05-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Well, considering Im in Mobile, and plan on doing this before Summer, we shall soon see.

TrevorS
05-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Well, considering Im in Mobile, and plan on doing this before Summer, we shall soon see.
Yep, and people in Florida, California, Texas, and so on, could also find this an interesting issue. I'm in DE and could probably get away with UD just fine. but I'm also conservative with this kind of thing and view UD as more for racing than for road. But that really doesn't matter, what does matter is that people's engines/accessories don't fail them when they need them -- that, at least to me, makes UD suspect and deserving of special consideration.

elwaylite
05-13-2010, 01:10 AM
It was funny, the guy running the dynojet last week kept asking me to check my temp after the 6600rpm runs. I don't think the temp gauge ever moved.

TrevorS
05-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Hopefully, you'll experience no issues, but I'd really prefer people go into a UD mod with their eyes wide open. They need to be aware there could be issues, and if there are, the buck stops at their own door, not somebody elses.

ScionFred
05-13-2010, 03:49 AM
Yes, Fred, but you also live in MD. For people who live in warmer climates and perhaps get stuck in traffic crunches and enjoy A/C and listening to the radio while waiting -- are they also definitely going to be OK?

I can't help but consider it a mistake to go by someone else's opinion on an issue like this, especially if that someone lives in a less accessory stressful area. People need to do their own thinking, not just go UD because someone recommended it.

Of course, if it doesn't work out, the buyer always has the option of selling the UD and buying an OE diameter lightweight instead. However, I think it's important people consider that possible eventuality in making their up front decision. This is money we're talking about and the issues are real.

I don't believe I offered a personally gauranteed recommendation of the UD pulley, I was merely stating my opinion and personal experience with it. I leave it to the reader to take that fwiw.

As I see it any lightweight pulley carries some risk because it removes the oem harmonic damper pulley. The UD pulley carries some additional potential risk. Changing springs, wheel size, offset and tire size from oem also carries some risk as do all modifications from the oem design. The safest course is to leave your car bone stock and use only Toyota oem parts but what fun is that?

Last summer I drove my car every day with the AC on high and ambient temps above 90F for most of the summer and my ECT never got above 210F. My ECT reaches 205F even on 60F days because that is the ECT Toyota designed the engine to run at. A hot engine is a cleaner burning, more efficient engine. I'm no longer concerned about the UD pulley.

Taken from post #90 above:

The NST Underdrive Crank Pulley was the first crank pulley offered to the Scion community back in 2005 and has been the most popular pulley in our catalog. The great weight reduction and the underdriving that this pulley provides make it the best performance option on the market.

No one has ever reported accessory issues due to the NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Every NST pulley goes through the proper amount of R&D before release and we realize that the majority of our customers pue their cars on the street as their daily driven means of transportation. We take this fact into very serious consideration when developing new products.

TrevorS
05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Maybe I'm unusual, but I have less than 100% faith in what manufacturer's have to say about the suitability of their products. The only reason I have a lightweight pulley at all is because I spent a couple weeks researching the topic on the web and learning about the associated issues and their relationship to our engine's design. I'm now satisfied properly designed lightweight pulleys are safe at normal road rpm with our engines, however, I wouldn't personally trust it being safe for racing, especially with a power boosted engine (this kind of usage can dramatically increase crank bearing stress and tortional impulses -- the bearings should be inspected regularly.)

Underdriving accessories has caused problems with many vehicles, it just depends on the load being applied. If the xB2 is exempt, great, I just happen to doubt it. Still, that's all I have to say on the subject!

PETERY2KRABBIT
05-13-2010, 07:52 PM
NST,
I sent a email to you 9 days ago concerning the CR light crank pulley that you sent to me and i have yet to receive a response.

Hello Mike,

I ordered the CR light crank pulley (2004 scion XB) awhile back and was the first person on Scion LIfe thread that reported there was something wrong with the pulley. We all found out that the machine shop did not bevel the edge.
I returned the pulley to you thinking i was getting a replacement but i got the same one back with the edge beveled.
there was damage to the pulley when i had it installed the first time but this was not because i or my mechanic did anything wrong. i would think that you would send me a new one instead of just beveling the edge and returning it to me.
i have heard nothing but good things about NST and hope that you will replace my pulley with a new one because my mechanic refuses to install this one.

Damages due to non beveling
1. inner circle is now oval instead of round
2. key pin was sheard off leaving deep gashes

Thank You,
Peter

Please respond

ScionFred
05-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Underdriving accessories has caused problems with many vehicles, it just depends on the load being applied. If the xB2 is exempt, great, I just happen to doubt it. Still, that's all I have to say on the subject!

I wouldn't say the XB2 is exempt from potential problems. I would say that in my personal experience my XB2 has not exhibited any problems stemming from the use of a NST 20% UD pulley for the last year and 20k miles. Pretty much the same thing you could read over and over in the NST pulley thread.

elwaylite
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
I've talked to a guy in the tC forum (very famous around racing), and he assures no issues other than "no big stereo". This will be my next mod.

renegade4x4
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Like i said in a post before... I own a scanguage and i have the underdrive pulley from NST. I live in Florida (read extremely hot) and my airconditioning has not suffered, my coolant temperture stays around 190 and voltage is always between 13.3-14.1. No trouble here at all.

chris

TrevorS
05-15-2010, 12:25 AM
I've talked to a guy in the tC forum (very famous around racing), and he assures no issues other than "no big stereo". This will be my next mod.
Sounds reasonable to me :)! Depending on conditions, something may have to yield, it's just a question of whether that matters to the owner.

elwaylite
05-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah, my reply was "no audio, too heavy".