Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

ED enclosures now available!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ED enclosures now available!

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/ind...?cPath=1_78_79

I was hoping for somehting under the seat. It looks like the spare tire has to go, which leaves me a little cold. I'm still tempted though...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I'll check 'em out now!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:32 PM

They look cccheeeeeep!

PLUS they don't even give you dimensions or cu ft!?
What's up with that?

Take the time to spend the $50 for wood and tools and build it yourself.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bah, no spare tire. my dad's porsche cayenne s doesn't have a spare tire. it has a factory subwoofer where the spare tire should be, and if you get a flat, it has a can of tire foam for you.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I asked ED about the enclosure volumes.

The 2x10 is 0.64 ft^3. I assume this is per side.

The 1x13 enclosure is 0.97 ft^3.

I have 4 good 10s just sitting around my house. I might go for the for the 2x10 enclosure if I can get over losing my spare tire.

Anyone know how good that fix-a-flat stuff is and what are the consequences of using it?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
bah, no spare tire. my dad's porsche cayenne s doesn't have a spare tire. it has a factory subwoofer where the spare tire should be, and if you get a flat, it has a can of tire foam for you.
What does that have to do with this thread?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
I asked ED about the enclosure volumes.

The 2x10 is 0.64 ft^3. I assume this is per side.

The 1x13 enclosure is 0.97 ft^3.

I have 4 good 10s just sitting around my house. I might go for the for the 2x10 enclosure if I can get over losing my spare tire.

Anyone know how good that fix-a-flat stuff is and what are the consequences of using it?
Fix a flat isn't going to fix a tire if it's all shredded... It's one of those things where if you have a buddy on call at all times then go for it! haha
Old 10-31-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The single 13 might be right up my alley.
I was really hoping for a single 10 and not losing the spare, unfortunately the underseat enclosure didn't work out.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Hypn0tiz3d
They look cccheeeeeep!

PLUS they don't even give you dimensions or cu ft!?
What's up with that?

Take the time to spend the $50 for wood and tools and build it yourself.
How exactly could they look less cheap?

Also, I was busy trying to get that updated after spending 2 days building the things. After I made the products I had to design 3 custom HT subs for customers that had been waiting a week or more.

The dual 10 is .64 cubes(common chamber, I'd like to put 11Kv.2's in it, but the SQ10 works better with the airspace) and the single 12 is .97 cubes.

Dimensions are much like the tC enclosure, the top is the same shape as the spare tire foam and fits in there perfectly.

The "box" portion of the dual 10 is a 23"x12.875"x6" deep enclosure with a mounting ring inside.

The Single 10" is 19"x15" on the bottom, and 19"x19" on the top and is 7.5" deep from the bottom of the flush surface with a mounting ring in the box.

Yes, the spare has to come out which I really didn't want to do, but it was about the only thing I could come up with that could A) be made out of wood B) be hidden in the car C) look good.

Under the seat just doesn't work because of a beam in the rear of the seats on the floor that eats up the space. And I'm not going to dismantle a loaner car from a dealership.

As for doing it yourself, I wholly encourage it. We offer products like this for people that want something that fits exactly in their car like a stock piece would who don't have the time/skills/space/tools to buy sheets of MDF, trace out pieces of their car, and then cut them.

Just to give you an idea, I wasted 3 sheets of MDF trying to get the top pieces cut perfectly. Yeah, I could have gotten close enough by tracing and cutting with a jigsaw, but I need to translate everything into a CAD drawing to be replicated over and over on a CNC.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone know what the sub cover is made of? it would be a pain if i needed to use the trunk and find that the sub cover is made of cardboard.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:32 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

It's a 3/4" MDF grill w/ circles cut in it. It should stand up to pretty much anything normally thrown in the back, unless you like to throw bowling ***** at things.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
It's a 3/4" MDF grill w/ circles cut in it. It should stand up to pretty much anything normally thrown in the back, unless you like to throw bowling ***** at things.
grill with circles cut in it? i cant exactly visualize that... care to elaborate?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mandos,

Thanks for making the effort to put out a good product for the new xB! I'm still not conviced that I should give up my spare tire, but I hope you guys sell a bunch of these things.

I have a question... Since the SQ10 is suitable for infinite baffle and has a mounting depth of only 3", do you think a baffle board loaded with an SQ10 can mount over the spare tire (keeping the spare in place)? Or is there just not enough room? how do you like the IB setup in general?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 AM

I working with wood as a career can say those boxes are a pretty decent price. if i were to guess i would say it takes close to a full sheet of mdf and with the increasing wood prices these days. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by nonstopbost
I working with wood as a career can say those boxes are a pretty decent price. if i were to guess i would say it takes close to a full sheet of mdf and with the increasing wood prices these days. Keep up the good work!
Considering the shape of the top, yeah, that's about right. And since the top is double stacked to recess the drivers, there goes about 2/3's the sheet right off the bat.

beef,

you could do it, but I think there would be an issue with fitting the speaker. Between the stock floor and the spare there is a surprisingly tiny amount of room.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sub included, I think the price isn't too bad. These do come loaded right?

grill with circles cut in it? i cant exactly visualize that... care to elaborate?
You can see through the cloth at the holes in the grill below.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These can't be loaded. The 13 is about $100 and the 2 10s are $70 each if I remember correctly. Thesse are good prices. I think these are worth it for a guy like me who lives in a urban area and who is lucky to have a single-wide garage (2 cars deep) and not much space for a table saw and other woodworking equipmet. I will someday though!

I'm just not comfortable losing my spare tire. In the meantime, I've got a little blaupunkt THB 200A that I plan to hook up this weekend. This should help for the time being.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
These can't be loaded. The 13 is about $100 and the 2 10s are $70 each if I remember correctly. Thesse are good prices. I think these are worth it for a guy like me who lives in a urban area and who is lucky to have a single-wide garage (2 cars deep) and not much space for a table saw and other woodworking equipmet. I will someday though!

I'm just not comfortable losing my spare tire. In the meantime, I've got a little blaupunkt THB 200A that I plan to hook up this weekend. This should help for the time being.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...148&highlight=

I built this myself using a hand-held circular saw and a drill. I used about a half sheet of MDF (bought a whole sheet, cost $19.XX at lowes) Including the e-bay amp and carpeting, sub, etc etc...this whole thing cost me ~$100 and a Saturday.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks almost like mine...nice! I added a recessed area for my amp so I could put it under plexiglass and light it up

Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member

[quote="mandos"]
Originally Posted by nonstopbost
beef,

you could do it, but I think there would be an issue with fitting the speaker. Between the stock floor and the spare there is a surprisingly tiny amount of room.
I just came up with an idea after I spent some time looking at the trunk. If you flip the spare tire over, so the black inside of the rim is facing up, you now have a huge whole, with about a 13-14" diameter. There is about 8 inches of depth now. I think we may be able to get this to work in a custom enclosure. ED, you need to try this and maybe you could squeeze a sq10 single or maybe even the thirteen. Please look at this and let me know. Basically we would just need a new screw post to hold the spare down, and the box should drop down and fit in the space. Remember this was my idea, so you know, a free enclosure would sure be appreciated. Thanks and let me know.

Quick Reply: ED enclosures now available!