Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hello!

Hey everyone, my name is steve... I'm buying an 08 xb in the next week or two and have a few questions. Well before i start i must say this website is awesome. i stayed up for a couple of hours just reading and looking at pics.
Okay, where to start... i have been slowly piecing together a system over the past few months in anticipation of getting a new car. Here's what I've got so far
Kenwood dnx7100 (nav video ipod.. all the fun stuff
Kenwood bluetooth module
3 alpine type r 12's
3 600w mono amps
1 600w 4 channel amp
I guess this is were the first question comes up. How am i going to power all this crap?
I was thinking 0 gage from the bat to a d block 4 gage to the amps.. but i need to put a cap or two or three in there somewhere... any suggestions?
Question 2 what is the width of the trunk? i have found some pre-fabbed boxes online with the correct airspace but they may be too wide for this application.
Question 3 underneath the trunk, i guess where the spare tire goes, how much room are we talking about down there? (spare tire removed.) Is there enough room to build some sort of platform to conceal all of my amps.. (Btw i got a really really really good deal on the amps so that's why i didn't just buy a 1500w)
Question 4 How much room is there for running wires in the door sills.. is that what you call them? I have a feeling i am going to be playing with a lot of wire so im wondering how im going to get it to the back
jeez that's a lot of questions... i know you guys will have no problem answering every single one in exquisite detail.. well if i gave you guys enough info.
thanks for all the help in advance!
Oh and i have a buddy that will be installing this for me.. he's a pro installer but the only thing is that he doesn't know I'm getting the car and he also doesn't know that he will be slaving away installing this for me for nothing besides pizza beer and if he does a good job maybe some buffalo wings! Maybe...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A1: 0g to 4g sounds good. Caps would be easy to hide if you didnt wanna show them.

A2: from the bump to bump (probably from the wheels) its about 38"-39". I'm going on memory of what i have = (2) 14"W boxes and an amp rack which i think it 10"-11" and thats all that fits

A3: there is enough room for multiple amps

A4: a 0g wire will fit in the door sills. i'm running a 4g, all the wires for the amp, wires for underglow and an S-cable-looking wire for the display of said lights and i can easily fit more. plus you still have the other sire if you need more room.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, that's quite a lot of booty. You may want to consider upgraded springs as you'll have a lot of extra weight in the back. Most people don't put that much gear into their car and keeping their back seat. Good luck.

Note, if you mount the 4 amps below the rear deck, and the 3 subs above, you'll have trouble reaching them without some help from someone else. Consider using 3 separate enclosures, held down with hand operated fasteners so they can be easily removed. Also, 3 subs with enclosures is fairly heavy. You'll want to create a floor support, if not an entirely new floor.

Good luck. Take your time and make certain everything is secure.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it may be a lot of weight but i dont think you'll need to remove the seats or change springs. it'll probably be <100lbs anyway. as for the floor, it can take the weight, plus the amp rack will support the subs as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey thanks for responding guys.. i didn't see any responses for a day or two and i thought i made some noob mistake... anyways all of the advice is great i really appreciate it.
i went down to the scion dealer today and i think i found the one i'm going to buy.. i'm very excite, as borat would say!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just plan on installing a 2nd battery back there too. That would save alot of work and stress on the stock battery.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I put a Kinetik HC1800 under my passenger seat. I need to modify a bracket for a sensor (I think it's a sensor) that's in the front of the seat. Passenger seat will not slide all the way back if I don't modify it. I would definitely use 1/0 wire. Kicker makes a great kit. You can find the kit, with disto blocks and everything for about $100 shipped on ebay.

I built my box 36"x16"x16". It's a great size. 36 is as wide as the spare tire cover.

But why 3 12" type r's? You can do a nice ported box that will blow away the 3 12's with only 2. Heck, maybe even just the one.

check out www.mobileaudioconcepts.com They have prebuilt enclosures that are reasonably priced and they're guaranteed to SLAM!