Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Amp + Sub Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Amp + Sub Install Question

right now i have the basic head unit and was looking to do a sub install. i am going to get a premium head unit because i dont want to mess with splicing as needed in the nav. unit.

now my questions are:

how did members with the premium unit wire the line out to the amp? i dont know how the wires are hidden in the dash.

i would like to have the amp under the front passenger seat. but the "hole" is quite narrow (6"x14?") any amps that fit in that small space? and any suggestions on hiding the power wire to the amp?

i really really like the idea of the ED sub enclosures so and i am going to build one of similar style. for a 10" sub what is the proper amount of air space needed? and also, any suggestions on hiding the wire? i dont want to tuck the wire along the side of the seats. i want to somehow go under the rear seats.

lastly, what is the proper gauges for each of these steps?

thank you so much from a car audio newbie!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a link to the wiring for our wagons...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180214

here's a c/p off that thread...

RADIO

12v lt Green
ground brown
ign gray
ill green
ant orange
LF +/- pink - purple
RF +/- lt green - blue
LR +/- black - yellow
RR +/- red - white

Now I have read a few threads & most are in agreement that the GRAY wire is the one to use for your 'remote on' amp.

Here's a link to a thread reguarding amp size & where to put it.. Now not alot of replies yet, but mabey more will reply to it..

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198866

You'll see in MY post there my amp sits where you want to put yours. & it fit in there with plenty of inches to spare.. Could have probally put a larger one in there..

I dont know wire gauge sizes... The stero shop installed mine.. Looks like the wires are comming out of a slit in the carpeting under the passenger seat. My 12" single resides in a ported square box in the cargo area facing the hatch.

Hope this helps....
jh
Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my research these are recommended:
14-16 gauge for speakers. 12-14 gauge for sub.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the power wire from the battery i'd use 4g or 0g. the wires are easy to hide along the bottom of the floor.... the black plastic piece near the sills. you can run it under there all the way to the back, thats what i did.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whispaz
for the power wire from the battery i'd use 4g or 0g. the wires are easy to hide along the bottom of the floor.... the black plastic piece near the sills. you can run it under there all the way to the back, thats what i did.
the sills along the door? that was my original plan, but i couldnt think of a way to get through the side of the rear seat! i want a super stealth install, so i would like it that when i fold down the rear seats i dont want to see the cables running back... any pics of your install?

thanks, mike
Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no pics but i can take some tomorrow. the hardest part was running it through the back seats but i was worth it, cant see any wires
Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks so much!!!

my install is looking easier by the moment!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another question!

is there any harm in using a lineout converter? the premium system is quite expensive ($600!!) and i was wondering if anyone else did a line out install with the basic head unit?

thanks, mike
Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no harm in doing it. there are many thread regarding the installation of one.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used it on my sub install.. The audio shop said that it's no where nears full power or clarity using the line out adaptars though.. They told me that when I swithed H/Y's to one with 'pre-outs' then I would see & hear a way to much differrence.. & I sure did when I switched H/Us.. I get 10Xs the power now & very clean super sub with the pre-outs.. jh
Old 11-09-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill sell you my PREMIUM head unit from my week old Xb2 for $380 shipped...
john94si@yahoo
Old 11-09-2007, 07:26 AM

if you run less than 25ft, 14 gauge speaker cable is more than enough.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just used speaker lvl inputs from the base HU to feed my sub amp and I have no complaints. I've got the gain on the amp set a little below half-way (1V) and the sub sounds great to my ears. Pre-outs are no doubt better but for a sub, I wouldn't spend $600 just to get pre-outs and little else.

BTW, to run speaker wires from under the seat to the rear, you can go straight from the rear door sill through the rear fender interior panel and out in the spare tire well quite easily. Just fish the wires through using a steel tape or a coat hangar. I ran 10ga because it's what I had but smaller ga wire would be a bit easier and more than adequate for such a short run.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I just used speaker lvl inputs from the base HU to feed my sub amp and I have no complaints. I've got the gain on the amp set a little below half-way (1V) and the sub sounds great to my ears. Pre-outs are no doubt better but for a sub, I wouldn't spend $600 just to get pre-outs and little else.

BTW, to run speaker wires from under the seat to the rear, you can go straight from the rear door sill through the rear fender interior panel and out in the spare tire well quite easily. Just fish the wires through using a steel tape or a coat hangar. I ran 10ga because it's what I had but smaller ga wire would be a bit easier and more than adequate for such a short run.
Fred.. I paid 179$$ for my Pioneer premier H/U... I now have 22 watts Pure clean power to the speakers at 0 distortion instead of 7-12 on the stock or stock premium... The sound is phenomoel compaered to stock. with the SUB OFF!!!
Add the sub with rca pre-outs & BAM!!!! Not 600 like you say...... jh,,,,,,
OOPS I meant Premier... NOT Premuim... sorry about the confusion
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just quoted the price given by Miketf1 a few posts earlier. That might be what the stealer quoted him for the premium HU installed? $179 is a very different story. I'd pay that much for it even though I've never seen anything to indicate that it has a better amp than the base HU which is rated at 40Wx4 peak (~20W rms).
Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...&tp=5684&avf=N
Old 11-09-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=130DEHP490&c=3&tp=5684&avf=N
ps i was told by a non commisioned tech that our stock H/U only get 7-12 wpc clean output.. anyways.. I put this H/U in without the amp & sub & the resullts were between night & day with the stock speakers..... more clean power does translate..... but as you know, fred... we changed to infinities!! way cool!!!1.. jh
Old 11-09-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, that explains it. We're comparing apples to oranges here. I was referring to the Scion/Pioneer "Premium" HU dealer option, not aftermarket HUs.

Got any pics of this installed? I have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P400 (single DIN) I pulled from my last car that I could install. It has 3 sets of pre-outs for front, rear and sub, 45Wx4 MOSFET amp, etc. The only reason I didn't install this already is that I didn't want to lose the steering wheel controls or the iPod/aux inputs but maybe I wouldn't have to? It has IR so I could use the PAC SWI-X and it has control for CD changers, etc. so maybe I could at least keep the aux input. I don't own an iPod so I could live without that interface.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...etailComponent
Old 11-09-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I have is a partial pic & a nite shot, fred..
as far as your steering wheel controls go.............

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=195979
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194971

Me & white breadbox got our SWC back & all is good!!!... good luck...mine is working fine now, got it worked out... You're right about the Scion Pioneer premuim H/U.. all the XT'ra's it has is rca pre-outs & the ability to change the colored lights to blue.. NO More Power... That's why I went with the Pioneer PREMIER. Blue lights & more power & RCA's for a fraction of the $$$
jh
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, jimmbomb.The single DIN looks a little out of place there but nothing I couldn't live with. My first choice would be the AVIC-D3 but it's not in my current budget. I'm gonna hafta give some thought to replacing my base HU with this old Premier HU I have. I can always upgrade it later and still use the same PAC-SWC. All I'd lose would be the iPod and aux ports and I'd have to run some RCA cables back to the amp.

I like what you've done with the lites and guage faces.

BTW, Pioneer rates their 40Wx4 HUs at 17W rms and I see no reason why the base/premium Scion HUs wouldn't have the same amp section as their cheapest aftermarket HUs. OTOH, we all know how reliable those power ratings are, don't we? I'm sure their 22W MOSFET amp sounds much better than their cheap 17W amps.

Quick Reply: Amp + Sub Install Question