Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Any last minute ICE suggestions before I lock in my install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any last minute ICE suggestions before I lock in my install?

Sorry for all these related posts, but it's crunch time for me and I just want to get everything right the first time. I am planning out my wifey's XB install and have found a "God among men" installer. Last night, I was still able to cancel my stock nav unit and am using the money saved for a custom install instead. However, I couldn't convince her to cancel the $1,600 LCD headrests though...

I just joined yesterday, so here's what I got so far:

Pioneer AVIC D3 (gonna purchase through Crutchfield)
stock LCD headrest ($1,600) - the wifey likes the "Scion" writing on them
Backup camera in the rear wiper (props to midgethearsexb)
Ipod interface in the arm rest? or somewhere else?
Steering Wheel controls? Is this possible? What do I need?
DLS CA51 5 channel amp
Image Dynamics 6.5" components for the front
Stock rear fill
Image Dynamics ID12 sub

Right now, I'm gonna check with him about paying $1,600 on the stock LCD headrests. If he can do it better and cheaper than stock then I might be able to save some money.

Please let me know what you guys think. It will be greatly appreciated.

D
Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

1600 for headrests is CRAZY!

you can find a better price ANYWHERE but the dealer....tell her u will get her somethin way better than the stockies!

sounds like a gnarley setup on the way....

you should be able to purchase the steering wheel controls from crutchfield as well..
Old 11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's what I'm saying! Glad I'm not the only one. We already traded in her 04 accord, but are still waiting for our XB to come in. I absolutely did not want to accept anything with the front pre-drilled license plater holes.

When will it be too late to cancel out of the LCD headrest option? I feel like the dealer is punching my in the stomach with that price! Any other stuff I need? Do these cars have bluetooth? Should I order a Parrot or something?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would assume that it's only too late to cancel the headrests if you signed the sales agreement. Even then, it's only a phone call to find out. And the sooner the better.

Even if there was a stock Bluetooth interface (which there isn't), you'd have lost it by switching headunits.

The steering wheel controls interface uses a small component that's inserted into the stock wiring. It requires power as well. It uses an infrared transmitter to perform the functions of the remote of your aftermarket headunit. Then pushing the steering wheel button sends the same command as your radio's remote button. Had one in my Mini and it worked great because I could define the SW buttons to do whatever I wanted. I was even able to assign a button that did nothing with the stock HU.

Personally, I prefer to give the kids a portable DVD player than have headrest units. It's cheaper and can be used outside the car. And, the driver doesn't have to listen to the movie. (For $1600, you could get them a laptop computer and they can play games and watch movies, on a 17" screen. Spend the difference to wire a power outlet in to the backseat. )
Old 11-06-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're looking into the AVIC D3 you should probably take a look at http://www.avic411.com

Crutchfield is kinda pricey, but great cust svc.
Steering wheel controls interface – PAC SWI-PS
Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forgot to mention:
DLS and ID? Yum.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HareBrained
I would assume that it's only too late to cancel the headrests if you signed the sales agreement. Even then, it's only a phone call to find out. And the sooner the better.

Even if there was a stock Bluetooth interface (which there isn't), you'd have lost it by switching headunits.

The steering wheel controls interface uses a small component that's inserted into the stock wiring. It requires power as well. It uses an infrared transmitter to perform the functions of the remote of your aftermarket headunit. Then pushing the steering wheel button sends the same command as your radio's remote button. Had one in my Mini and it worked great because I could define the SW buttons to do whatever I wanted. I was even able to assign a button that did nothing with the stock HU.

Personally, I prefer to give the kids a portable DVD player than have headrest units. It's cheaper and can be used outside the car. And, the driver doesn't have to listen to the movie. (For $1600, you could get them a laptop computer and they can play games and watch movies, on a 17" screen. Spend the difference to wire a power outlet in to the backseat. )
Great advice, but the wifey prefers the look of the lcd headrests and the 8 yr old gets really excited seeing them on there. But, the power outlet is exactly why I wanted to make this thread. Thanks so much! I am going to add this to the install.

Originally Posted by uberspeed
If you're looking into the AVIC D3 you should probably take a look at http://www.avic411.com

Crutchfield is kinda pricey, but great cust svc.
Steering wheel controls interface – PAC SWI-PS
Wow, I didn't even know that site existed or how popular the AVIC D3 was. Thanks a lot for giving me the part number for the SW controls. I am going to order very soon. I am going with Crutchfield because I want to buy their extended warranty.

Originally Posted by uberspeed
Forgot to mention:
DLS and ID? Yum.
Thanks... that is exactly what my installer suggested. I have DLS Iridium 8.3s in my M3 powered by Tru Technology amps. When the installer recommended a combo of DLS and ID products on my limited budget, then I knew he knew what he was talking about...
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Default Re: Any last minute ICE suggestions before I lock in my inst

Originally Posted by D_Unit
Sorry for all these related posts, but it's crunch time for me and I just want to get everything right the first time. I am planning out my wifey's XB install and have found a "God among men" installer. Last night, I was still able to cancel my stock nav unit and am using the money saved for a custom install instead. However, I couldn't convince her to cancel the $1,600 LCD headrests though...

DLS CA51 5 channel amp
Stock rear fill
Image Dynamics ID12 sub

Right now, I'm gonna check with him about paying $1,600 on the stock LCD headrests. If he can do it better and cheaper than stock then I might be able to save some money.

D
Definitely do the back up camera! I have the steering wheel controls still. It requires a module that you program. It's fairly easy to do (well I didn't do it, but I watched) and you can program the "Source" button to become the "Mute" button, that's what I did. and as far as where to place the iPod connection, I would do it in the glove box. I put mine there and left the stock connectors in, so that it appears that I don't have anything plugged in. I know it's not going to stop someone from going through the glove box and finding it, but I feel a little safer with it there. I also like it in the glove box, because it frees up some much needed storage space in the center console. There... there's my $.02.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

That's what I'm saying! Glad I'm not the only one. We already traded in her 04 accord, but are still waiting for our XB to come in. I absolutely did not want to accept anything with the front pre-drilled license plater holes.

When will it be too late to cancel out of the LCD headrest option? I feel like the dealer is punching my in the stomach with that price! Any other stuff I need? Do these cars have bluetooth? Should I order a Parrot or something?
There is a blue tooth function on the D3, but I believe it requires another module of some sort, so that it can interface with the phone. I'm not too tech savy, but I know that it doesn't come with the unit. I do know however, that Pioneer offers a BT for the D3.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midgethearsexb

DLS CA51 5 channel amp
Stock rear fill
Image Dynamics ID12 sub

D
Definitely do the back up camera! I have the steering wheel controls still. It requires a module that you program. It's fairly easy to do (well I didn't do it, but I watched) and you can program the "Source" button to become the "Mute" button, that's what I did. and as far as where to place the iPod connection, I would do it in the glove box. I put mine there and left the stock connectors in, so that it appears that I don't have anything plugged in. I know it's not going to stop someone from going through the glove box and finding it, but I feel a little safer with it there. I also like it in the glove box, because it frees up some much needed storage space in the center console. There... there's my $.02.
I wanted to bite off your rear wiper install, but the Avic D3 comes with a free camera from Crutchfield that connects to the license plate. Can anyone chime in if Boyo is a good brand name? BTW, when you put the car into Reverse, does the camera automatically turn on like on a Lexus?

There is a blue tooth function on the D3, but I believe it requires another module of some sort, so that it can interface with the phone. I'm not too tech savy, but I know that it doesn't come with the unit. I do know however, that Pioneer offers a BT for the D3.
Thanks a lot. Here's what I got in my shopping cart at Crutchfield.

Pioneer Avic D3 ($950)
- free Boyo VTL400 Zinc Chrom License back-up camera 2.8mm adjustable
- free Receiver Kit 120958202
- free Receiver Harness 120701761

PAC SWI-PS - Pioneer and Sony Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface ($69.99)
Pioneer CD-i200 iPod Control Interface ($29.99)
Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth Adapter ($179.99)

Order Total: $1,229.96

Should I buy warranty for all this stuff?
ServiceNet 2Yr Service-Car AV $39.99
ServiceNet 3Yr Service-Car AV $54.99
ServiceNet 5Yr Service-Car AV $89.99
Old 11-06-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

BTW, when you put the car into Reverse, does the camera automatically turn on like on a Lexus?
You know it! Of course it does! It would be kinda lame if it didn't right? You can also turn it on while you're driving. You just hit the map button while you're in the navi menu and you can toggle through a couple of different views as well as your speedo and stuff.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, when you put the car into Reverse, does the camera automatically turn on like on a Lexus?
You know it! Of course it does! It would be kinda lame if it didn't right? You can also turn it on while you're driving. You just hit the map button while you're in the navi menu and you can toggle through a couple of different views as well as your speedo and stuff.
That is slick... I am enjoying this car way more than my M3! And, we haven't even taken it home yet!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

One more thing... You will notice that your SW controls will require a little extra umph when pushing them. Due to the fact that the it sends the signal to a module and then the module to the D3, it takes a little bit longer. Once you get used to it you don't even notice it though. I'm sure you know that you can also upload whatever pics you want as your background as well. I haven't done it yet, but I plan on doing it real soon.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yo Midget Ears,

Where'd you get your camera from? I might purchase everything from my installer except for the camera so please let me know if you recommend the one your using or regret not getting another one...

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

yo Midget Ears,

Where'd you get your camera from? I might purchase everything from my installer except for the camera so please let me know if you recommend the one your using or regret not getting another one...

Thanks.
Midget Ears? Ha ha! It's Midget Hearse xb... Anyways, I love the camera I got. For $40 off of eBay, you can't beat it! The only thing that I MIGHT change, would be the angle of the camera. The camera itself comes with an angled washer, so that you can angle it down, but with the curve of the hatch on the xB2 it just doesn't point down quite enough. I am currently working on angling it down a little bit more. As far as the camera goes, you have 4 options... 1. Do what I did. 2. Licence plate holder camera. 3. Hide it under the bumper. 4. Get really complicated and place it in the 3rd brake light bucket, so that it's totally hidden and inside the car. It's up to you where you put it, but I put mine where it is for a reason...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Here's my install for those of you who haven't seen it.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yo Midget Ears,

Thanks.
Midget Ears? Ha ha! It's Midget Hearse xb... Anyways, I love the camera I got. For $40 off of eBay, you can't beat it! The only thing that I MIGHT change, would be the angle of the camera. The camera itself comes with an angled washer, so that you can angle it down, but with the curve of the hatch on the xB2 it just doesn't point down quite enough. I am currently working on angling it down a little bit more. As far as the camera goes, you have 4 options... 1. Do what I did. 2. Licence plate holder camera. 3. Hide it under the bumper. 4. Get really complicated and place it in the 3rd brake light bucket, so that it's totally hidden and inside the car. It's up to you where you put it, but I put mine where it is for a reason...
Man, we are going to have the same looking ride, but unfortunately, I don't have midget ears.... lol

Okay Midget hearse, I like your setup with the rear wiper delete. I would appreciate it if you could send me the Ebay link... Do you got any pictures of your sound system?

D
Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

No sound system for Midget Ears at the moment...

I'm trying to get him to get something uber loud, though.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Yup... no bumpin for my Midget Ears. I'm savin funds for the winter so I can board as much as I want this year. I'm also savin for some bronze 20's...