Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust, who's using what.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust, who's using what.

Now that its been about 6Mo's give or take on the Gen2, what exhaust do you have installed, and what sound is it giving you

If you have heard the Greddy axle back on a Gen1, you have the sound I'm going for on my Gen2

Deep, absolutely no rasp, high RPM's or low is the most important part, would like to go dual, not interested in look or finish of pipes, this is purely a sound inquiry, loud is win.

So lets hear (literally preferably) what you got, where you got it, and what it costs
Old 11-22-2007, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD. Nice deep tone but quiet.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ill get a sound clip up as soon as i get my camera back but i chopped off the resonator and replaced it with straight pipe, and chopped off the muffler and replaced it with a flowmaster 40 series with a dump tip. it sounds badass but a little bit of a whine when it comes down from high rpm's, i hope once i get my aem intake that will be solved tho
Old 11-22-2007, 07:34 PM
SL Member

i chopped from the resonator back and am using a 5zigen muffler it has a nice deep tone and doesnt drone too bad at high rpms. ill post pics up later, and if you want loud you are gonna have to cut out that resonator that is the size of a small nuclear bomb under your car! almost all of the systems that are coming out are just axle backs because toyota calls that resonator a 3 way cat so alot of people are stearing away from removing any sort of cat with all the carb emmision laws these days, so you will prob be better off finding a muffler that you like and building around that. also you might try getting on youtube and listening to sound clips of tc's to get an idea of what you will sound like
Old 11-23-2007, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nuclear sized resonator noted.

TRD is too quiet for me, good tone but disappointingly quiet

Hoping Dual Borla is a simple perfect way to go, quality is obviously more important than volume so if there's no raspy honda farting but its a neutral tone I'm okay with that for now

Keep up the input though guys, I know there's more then 2 modified xB's out there
Old 11-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I am just waiting on my strup exhaust. The only header and exhaust I will use. They sound great together.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i picked up a magnaflow race series muffler and took it to a shop. its got a good sound, but quiet. not raspy... it almost sounds like a stock wrx. i'd like a little more sound, myself.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

My brother and I were going to build a custom axel back using the current exhast as a template. I removed it and turned on the car for ____s and giggles and heard no differance....Only at high rpms could you here a lil growl, but nothing. I also noticed the scuba tank under the car they used for a resonator. This car will not sound like it has an exhaust unless something is done about the scuba tank. I put my stock exhasut back on and decided against a custom axel back but plan for a custom catback.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anybody know if the stock muffler is a straight through design? My main focus for increased sound would be eliminating the nuke... So I thought about maybe replacing that with a straight pipe and getting a new exhaust tip.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Does anybody know if the stock muffler is a straight through design? My main focus for increased sound would be eliminating the nuke... So I thought about maybe replacing that with a straight pipe and getting a new exhaust tip.
Looking at the stock axel back, it appears to be straight through and I assume its sole purpose is for back pressure. If you remove the nuke and replace it with a straight pipe it will sound like crap..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-0v3d_Np0w

I would recomend going with a smaller straight through res/cat with a high flow muffler....in fact I think if you just went with a high flow cat/res it would sound better and free up the exhaust flow.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bet ya if you use the TRD axle back & then replace the massive front resonator with a smaller, more traditional sized one, you'd get a good sound.

My problem with the BORLA setup is that all it does is replace the factory muffler with pipes... leaving you with the resonated exhaust note (which I personally despise). There's no exhaust note "tuning" or anything... just a poopy resonator sound.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiXX
I bet ya if you use the TRD axle back & then replace the massive front resonator with a smaller, more traditional sized one, you'd get a good sound.

My problem with the BORLA setup is that all it does is replace the factory muffler with pipes... leaving you with the resonated exhaust note (which I personally despise). There's no exhaust note "tuning" or anything... just a poopy resonator sound.
I agree!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Duly Noted.

Keep up the good discussion, and keep us posted on how your mods come out.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCTaco
Originally Posted by XD40tC
Looking at the stock axel back, it appears to be straight through and I assume its sole purpose is for back pressure. If you remove the nuke and replace it with a straight pipe it will sound like crap..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-0v3d_Np0w

I would recomend going with a smaller straight through res/cat with a high flow muffler....in fact I think if you just went with a high flow cat/res it would sound better and free up the exhaust flow.
Yeah, that car has a header on it... I might go ahead and replace the res/cat with a straight pipe and see what happens.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone tryed running with no muffler?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I'm actually thinking about running a Flowmaster Series 50 with single 2.5 in and dual 2.25 out. Then I'll run a couple of stainless steel Magnaflow 3.5" 45degree tips out the back at a slight angle. Kinda like drivers and VIP guys do it.

I think the SUV 50 series from Flowmaster should keep it pretty quiet. We'll see I guess. I'm not sure of having a muffler shop doing it, or just buying mandrel bent pieces and making it all myself.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Careful... Flowmasters on a 4-cylinder oftentimes sound like butt.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by mnscionxb
has anyone tryed running with no muffler?
yeah i took mine off and noticed no diff, just a quiet grumble when letting off the gas...
Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiXX
Careful... Flowmasters on a 4-cylinder oftentimes sound like butt.
Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind. I just don't know what to exactly look for. This is the first 4cylinder I've ever owned. First front wheel drive, too. All I've owned have been RWD v8's and v6's. Fun in snow!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoa god, I stand corrected... listen to this TC with a flowmaster 40 series (single inlet, dual outlet). We use the same motor, so we should be able to somehow conjure up a sound similar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SiJEIRR__nE

Sweet jesus!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust, who's using what.