Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help pick a Nav. system

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help pick a Nav. system

Hello all...I need some advice. I'm planning out my audio install, and I can't decide on a Nav./DVD system. For those who have a factory system...how do you like it? And for those with aftermarket, what do you have? My biggest concern aftermarket is that I can maintain steering wheel controls. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

It really depends on what you want. If you want really nice sound quality and flexibility, go after market. IIRC the stock nav/dvd doesn't have RCA pre outs for external amplifiers. You can run a line level converter for RCA's, but you'd still be getting signal to your amplifiers that isn't up to par as it would be with preouts.
Aftermarket H/U's have better interal amplifiers, too. you should get better sound and louder as well.

midgethearsexb on here has the AVIC D3 from Pioneer installed in his car and he loves it. I have a Kenwood eXcelon KVT-815DVD flipout in my car and I love it. I don't neccessarily need navigation, but it can be added on. Personally, I prefer the double din H/U because flipouts are kind of cheesy. Especially if you have the double din openning (which our xB's do).
Old 11-22-2007, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...314&highlight=
That is what i got
Old 11-22-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.avic411.com
Old 11-22-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been very happy with my double din Kenwood 6019 with G510 Garmin nav addon. Very adaptable audio section, crisp lcd screen, and world class Garmin navigation.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had the kenwood dnx7100 installed for a few days now and i love it! the first thing you will notice is the price.. these things aren't cheap but they are really worth it. I've got mine set up with the bluetooth thing and an ipod video cable. Not that i use this feature much but the kenwood is one of the few h/u that allow you to view video while driving with a little mod. as far as the SW controls, i was in a rush to get my nav in before a trip but i do have the piece on order and will be installing it when i get back.
The user interface has a bit of a learning curve to it but once you figure it out it is really quite simple
If you ever plan on running screens in the rear of the car somewhere the dnx has a cool dual zone feature. you can be watching a dvd in on the front screen and then ipod video to the rear screens.
Also the dnx comes with the latest garmin nav. it of course is super intuitive and really easy to use. One of the features that i really like is that the voice tells you to "turn left on Main St." It says the stupid street name. I personally think that is really cool.
What else, it has like a million pre-outs. Right now i have an alpine 4 channel and 2 alpine 2 channel amps hooked up to it. It handles everything great. In the audio preferences you have complete control over everything. I've spend literally hours just playing with it. I now have saved preferences for different types of music.. metal rap and so on.
The kenwood also does not rely on dvd based navigation like some of the others. this was a plus to me. I'm not really sure why but it was
Like i said in the before, the price is steep but it is a really great unit!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im running the eclipse AVN5495 nav/dvd head unit and i love it. but its like $1700. If you have the means i would def recomend it.
http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5495overviews.html
Old 11-22-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i loves my avic d3

its at a good price, easy install, and plenty of add-on options.

think about it
Old 11-22-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was looking at the avic d3...does that interface with the steering wheel controls and have the same ipod adapter?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by healthynine
I was looking at the avic d3...does that interface with the steering wheel controls and have the same ipod adapter?
u can get a pac adapter for the steering wheel controls

but u will have to get the ipod cable from pioneer. the one that comes with the xb doesnt work.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you always have to give a little to get a little. I'm thinking I'll get the stock SNS system, but then I'll have to do a line level converter to get the subs wired. Unless someone has a better solution
Old 11-23-2007, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much is the SNS? I've also got the DNX7100, yeah the interface sucks to get use to but it's got a ton of features including Dolby™ Digital and DTS™ 2.0 with Digital Output & Built-in Garmin GPS Navigation. It only has 6 million Points of Interest, compared to the Pioneer's 12 Million but its very simple to use and there's no need for a DVD to pull maps from which makes calculation/recalculation much faster. Plus the mod mentioned previously to allow you to play DVDs while driving is a big plus... don't believe this is possible with the Pioneers.

My opinion is to go with an aftermarket unit, you'll get more for the money! Here's a great site if you know what you're looking for and is where I got mine...

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...79&brandtype=0
Old 11-23-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Puz06xB
How much is the SNS? I've also got the DNX7100, yeah the interface sucks to get use to but it's got a ton of features including Dolby™ Digital and DTS™ 2.0 with Digital Output & Built-in Garmin GPS Navigation. It only has 6 million Points of Interest, compared to the Pioneer's 12 Million but its very simple to use and there's no need for a DVD to pull maps from which makes calculation/recalculation much faster. Plus the mod mentioned previously to allow you to play DVDs while driving is a big plus... don't believe this is possible with the Pioneers.

My opinion is to go with an aftermarket unit, you'll get more for the money! Here's a great site if you know what you're looking for and is where I got mine...

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...79&brandtype=0
I want to hook up a PAC SWI steering wheel control interface to this Kenwood, BUT it requires that this Kenwood 7100 have a "WIRED REMOTE" input..ie: a 3mm 'mini plug' input. Does this unit have a 'mini plug' input jack in the back for a wired remote??? thanks ... jh
Old 11-23-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Puz06xB
How much is the SNS?
I don't know an exact price, but I can get that for cost +10% so its not going to be as bad. I have seen one on ebay for $1300, but I like to know where I'm getting parts from. TRDsparks.com also has it listed, but seems pretty pricy.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can mod the Pioneer to allow you to view DVD's while moving, it's a mod for all aftermarket systems when you're moving since it's illegal to watch video up front while driving, tends to distract the driver a tad ;)
Most shops will do the mod for you and wash their hands of it so they don't have liability and some will outright refuse to do it for you. It's a simple mod on the D3, documented on avic411 forums.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...206&highlight=
Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 AM
SL Member

So I'm trying to do my research and decide which system I wanna go with. So far the Kenwood dnx 7100 sounds good and so does the Avic z2. I like the d3 but I don't want to have to fumble around looking for a nav dvd everytime I need the nav. Not to mention can't listen to a cd while using the nav. Are there significant differences between the avic z2 and the dnx 7100? I guess I'm kind of leaning towards the dnx 7100 because it's cheaper. Can you hook up a backup cam on the 7100? Also do you need to buy an additional XM unit to have sat radio or is it already built into these units and all you have to do is activate them? Any other suggestions in aftermarket nav units?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 AM
SL Member

oh also...when using the bluetooth. Do any of these units show the caller i.d.?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, you can hook up a cam on the 7100, Sirius/XM ready but you need to buy the antenna.
DNX7100 SPECS HERE

CNET gave it a really bad review mostly for the interface, GPS is great, Stereo/DVD control interface isn't very intuitive though....
CNET REVIEW HERE

I do believe that the Bluetooth on it will display the caller ID on screen, but not positive because I do not have it yet...

But if I'd seen this first, this is what I'd of done... and still might....
SCHWEET CARPUTER SETUP HERE
Old 12-04-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the pioneer avic-d3 online for $559.00
added bluetooth,camera,ipod hook ups ,and got the dvd overide

Quick Reply: Help pick a Nav. system