Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Dynamat

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dynamat

so i have had my scion for a little over week now and i freakn' love it!
My reason for starting this thread is i need to dynamat my whole car. well everywhere except the dash... no way in hell i am taking out a dash.
First off, has anyone done this? If so, how much did it take and how long? I've got a guy at a local shop that is willing to sell me bulk packs of 36 sq ft for $125 a piece. Imo this is a pretty good price because the cheapest i've seen it online for was $117 shipped.. i figure $8 more per pack and i get it right then and there worth it to me
If anyone is in southern orange county and wants to have a dynamat play date with me i'd be more than happy to supply the beer! (i havn't ever done dynamat and im just looking for a little help i.e. technique tools rime and reason for placement.
Oh anther thing. I did have my doors done by best buy when i put in my crossfire x6's but that was simply because i was in a hurry to go on a long trip and i didn't have time to do it myself. I bought a door kit from them $95 OUCH and truthfully it wasn't nearly enough to make me happy. So the moral of the story is apparently our doors are much larger than the average door so don't expect to get the whole doors covered with a freakn' door kit!
Sorry for the long winded post

Btw happy Thanksgiving!!!!
steve
Old 11-22-2007, 06:31 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

well... dynamet itself has gotten alot of hype and the prices for them are just terribly insane.

if you are looking to sound deaden your car, do shop around first, as there are many cheaper alternatives that work just the same, if not better, than dynamat.

36 sq ft for $125??? yipe.

other brands can be easily half that price for the same stuff.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

why not try edead? I think I bought like 100sq ft for $120, it was just vise1 though, but you could double, triple, quadruple the layers for the same price as dynamat
Old 11-22-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can agree with the hype. the only thing is that everyone i talk to says "dynamate extreme is the only way to go" I am not against using something else i just don't really know what's out there.
another factor that i am taking into consideration is ease of application. when i watched the guys put the dynamat on my doors it looked like it went on really easy (with a little mini roller) do other brands stick and mold well? that was the one thing the the guys said. "nothing goes on easier than dynamat"
Frankly what i'm looking for is to deaden my car so that when i have my system loud and the windows are up it isn't loud outside of the car. Am i asking too much?
any and all suggestions are more than welcome!
Old 11-23-2007, 01:16 AM
SL Member

Yeah, go with eDead for sure. Not only is it WAY cheaper than Dynamat it also works amazingly. I am about to do my whole car also, I am in the same boat as you. My friend installs sound deadening at work all the time and he has eDead in his own car because he says that it is the best. Just my .02 btw
Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya definately eDead, just did mine (roof floors doors etc) and having used dynamat extreme on prior vehicles, I can say that it goes on just as easily (get the little mini roller) and sticks like mad! Sitting in a car wash used to be deafening, now, peaceful.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

i'm into car audio and I've seen tests done between a lot of sound dampening material. From what I've seen, second skin (www.secondskinaudio.com) is probably one of the better, cheaper ones out there.

I know I'll be running second skin.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
i'm into car audio and I've seen tests done between a lot of sound dampening material. From what I've seen, second skin (www.secondskinaudio.com) is probably one of the better, cheaper ones out there.

I know I'll be running second skin.
I just checked out that site and it didn't seem very cheap to me. Their basic dampening for 40 sq ft is $96 and their pro dampening for 36.5 sq ft is $169.82. I don't know how the quality ranks against the Dynamat referenced in the original post but this isn't much cheaper for the basic and is quite a bit higher for the pro.

So far Elemental Designs has the cheapest price I've seen.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:36 PM
SL Member

secondskin and edead are both very good stuff
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

i had about 80 sq. ft. of dynamat extreme in my tC, heavy stuff and i definitely felt the difference between driving my friends stock tC and mine with the dynamat/intake/exhaust. car felt a lot more sluggish
Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just bought 120ft of edead for 100 bucks plus the roller from the guys at ed on ebay. imho thats the best deal ever!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when looking at deadener you need to look at thickness and foil layer rather than just square footage.... dynamat extreme is really thick and may only need one layer to deaden well, while others are thinner and may need multiple layers.

I personally like raammat because it has good dampening, but thin enough to go on easily, but still priced well. I have used some older dynamat and didn't like it, but extreme is supposed to be great, just pricey... also check out second skin...if you go ed, get the v1se it is supposed to be a better value for the money
Old 01-11-2008, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

edead is availible in multiple thicknesses and for the money you cant go wrong i had over 150 sq ft in my tc whitch I totaled last month
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default sound deadener's showdown

i could not remember if i posted this elsewhere, but here is a good article on sound deadener's:

if anyone is considering using dynamat or another sound deadener in your xB or other vehicle, here is a good article doing some comparisons - pretty well written and it saved me some research in checking that stuff out:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ well... you also have to note that the site is a little outdated as the old eDead 1VSE was replaced by the 1VSE2, which is rubber butyl.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 AM

SQ feet. Anyone have any idea of the SQ feet of the 08 xb? Just the floor, roof, trunk, doors. Any estimates? I attached a pic of my car what do you think?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

your xB is lookin' good brentw59!

what kind of wheels and what size/brand tires are you running?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 PM

18in Maas Racing Wheels, Pirelli Tires
Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 AM

Anybody have any ideas on the square feet of the xb.............anyone...........anyone.............buller...........buller.........anyone??!!!???
Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 AM

Ok, I was gonna start a new post, but figured this was just as good a place for it.

It sounds like 150 sq feet will do the job, and the eDead is the way to go, but I'll admit, I've never used the stuff before. The only thing I've ever been told by some installers was not to bother with it, its not worth it for the weight it adds to the car.

I know that this thing isn't exactly a slimmed down race car, but more weight is more weight. About how much does 150 sq feet of eDead weigh?

-8tracks

Quick Reply: Dynamat