Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need layout ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Need layout ideas!!!

Ok, I have a setup right now in my trunk that looks like this.

I just don't like the way it is now and I want to redo it, but have know idea what to make it look like and I'm asking for help.

Here's the measurements to go off of.

Trunk = 38" W x 27" L x 18" H at the bottom

Trunk = 38" W x 20" L at the top

The 18" H is to the top of the back seat. I don't care if some of the subs or amps stick above it, but I don't want any of the box to stick above if possible.

Subs = 11" W x 11" L x 27" H 2 each

Amp 1 = 10 1/2" W x 10 1/2" L

Amp 2 = 7 1/2" W x 10 1/2" L

Any help is welcome. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love questions like this. Thanx.

Those subs are pretty cool but difficult to integrate into a display. Their shape, style and end opening dictate they "float". And their length prohibits longitudinal mounting.

My idea is to set the subs transverse, semi-stacked (lower one closer to the rear. Underneath would be an amp tray that would slide in an out. I would use acrylic to hold the sub mounts. Depending on how you set it up, the amps could be in a side-by-side arrangement (sub supports on top of amp box) or front-rear (sub support go to floor and amps between them.

In the amp tray, use wiring covers to the edge of the tray that mimic the curvature of the amps. Use under side slides to hide the mechanicals. The tray can slide using an actuator or manually (don't forget a lock to keep it in place while driving. The front of the tray could be slanted to provide a visual cue to the subs angle. I would also put Bazooka on the tray front face, either embossed, cut-out and lit acrylic, or a sticker like on the amps.

This set-up would require some detail finishing. A couple of boxes may be needed to add some continuity to the display.

As a twist on this idea, you could build this arrangement with the angled side towards the back seat, and then have it rotate about it's right angle for display. The would put the amp tray vertical when stowed (gravity holding it in place) and then pulls out when displayed. And if you're really creative, the hinges could slide to keep everything in the car when displayed (hinges slide toward front and hinge-slides would be covered when rack is stowed.)