Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Has anyone fit a sub under one of the seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone fit a sub under one of the seats?

Driver or passenger?

I'm looking under there and sure its a touch less room then the last xB but its not that much more cramped.

At the very least one should be able to fit a sub under there if they took the seat off, placed the sub, and then put the seat back.

Wouldn't be able to get it stolen that way at least

Any one seen this done, or have any pictures of their own under-seat setup??
Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I have a Kinetik HC1800 battery under my passenger seat for my stereo.

But there's a sensor or something in the front of the seat itself I need to relocate so I can move the seat all the way back. I just haven't had time to do so.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
SL Member

what about the rear seats? is there any room under there or are those storage units in the way?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Storage unit's in the way. But you could make a nice amp rack!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 AM
SL Member

oo yeah that would be a good place to put one. Thanks for the idea haha
Old 11-30-2007, 02:17 AM
SL Member

I was thinking the same under seat deal. I'v even taken the rear seat apart to get the plastic "storage" deal off. I think I can get an amp under one side and the cap on the other side of the back seats...

The front passenger seat has a bit more room under it than the drivers side...I'm gonna try and get a 10" JL W6v2 under there some how...Even if I have to jack the seat up a lil...Heck the girlfriend is only 5' tall
Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i cant even figure out how to get the bottom cushion off the rear seats needless to say the entire storage rack off...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:23 AM
SL Member

There are two white tabs under the seat. One under each side toward the front of the cushion. Push the front seats all the way up and get down on the back seat floor with a flashlight...You'll see them. They're white.
I kinda pryed with a small screwdriver, but they seem to come off with a little forcible pull upward. Each side will come out individually.
Almost all rear seats I've messed with come out the same way. There is really not much room under there as the seat cushions are contured deeply. You'll see how to get the plastic tray off with 5 small nuts...
have fun
Old 11-30-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by miketf1
i cant even figure out how to get the bottom cushion off the rear seats needless to say the entire storage rack off...
At the front of the seat, pull up. Hard. Then it slips out Easy.

Amp will fit under the rear seat area. I had a Rockford Fosgate 400a2 underthere with no endcaps. You could easily fit a smaller amp from Memphis cause they're kind of skinny and they just look cool.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
At the front of the seat, pull up. Hard. Then it slips out Easy.
how hard!? i tried brute force a couple times but was afraid of tearing the mounts off the seat...
Old 11-30-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

There's a spot on the passenger side and the driver side. It's in the front right after the bend. Not on the side. The metal tube that spans left and right doesn't move. You just pull up on the foam, right before the bar.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:10 AM
SL Member

Did u check under the cushions with a flash light? You'll see the tabs... It made more sence for me when I could kinda see the tabs. Too much force could do some damage.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:11 AM
SL Member

Good call Utah x by saying that the tube does not move.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by SLO-BOX
Good call Utah x by saying that the tube does not move.
I could just picture dude just yanking and yanking all he could and getting a hernia. That would just plain suck.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 AM
SL Member

Sheeeit, I started one night by taking off the rear seat backs and all the bolts that I could get to before I figured it out...I have to say it was a lot easier to bolt the frame back down with the cushion out.
I hope he gets it.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put a eD SQ10 under my passenger seat in a down-firing 13.25"x12"x7.5" box. I had to relocate all of the underseat wiring, sensor box and bend some metal brackets out of the way but it sounds great and was well worth the effort,
Old 11-30-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I just put a eD SQ10 under my passenger seat in a down-firing 13.25"x12"x7.5" box. I had to relocate all of the underseat wiring, sensor box and bend some metal brackets out of the way but it sounds great and was well worth the effort,
Is the 12" dimension spanning front to back? How much does it protrude into the rear seat foot space? About 2-3" past the hump? Or were you able to move the box more forward past the duct? I'm having a hard time picturing this but I'm glad it is possible to put a 10" in there. If my 8" Premier shallow sub doesn't work out, then I'm going to go with a 10 also.

-----------------------------

Zlog,

I'm getting these in today. I'll post how it goes after I install it this weekend.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...969765,00.html
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...664739,00.html

I'll have it running off this:

I already have this amp installed under the driver's seat with plenty of room left over driving a couple of temporary 10" subs in the back. I chose this amp because it's super small and puts out about 200 watts, which is what I was looking for. Crutchfield has it on sale for $150 right now. I got mine from 12v-electronics for the same price.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Is the 12" dimension spanning front to back? How much does it protrude into the rear seat foot space? About 2-3" past the hump? Or were you able to move the box more forward past the duct? I'm having a hard time picturing this but I'm glad it is possible to put a 10" in there. If my 8" Premier shallow sub doesn't work out, then I'm going to go with a 10 also.
I intended to do 12" front to back but 13.25" didn't clear the seat rail slide mechanism since my box is 7.5" tall so I had to rotate it 90 degrees. 12" fits nicely between the seat rails. Even at 13.25" front to back, there is still plenty of rear seat foot room for all but the biggest feet. The rear floor hump is about 9-10" from the front hump so my box does overhang it by ~3". To compensate I installed longer feet on the rear of the box so the grill doesn't ride on the hump. The box feet are made from 7/8" dowel rod, center-drilled and screwed to the box with rubber feet from Home Depot slipped on.

If I were to make a box I think I'd do an up-firing 12"x12"x6" box and relocate the underseat sensor and wiring but this one does fit (barely) and I can even slide the seat back and forth.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very cool setup Scionfred.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
I'm getting these in today. I'll post how it goes after I install it this weekend. I'll have it running off this: I already have this amp installed under the driver's seat with plenty of room left over driving a couple of temporary 10" subs in the back. I chose this amp because it's super small and puts out about 200 watts, which is what I was looking for. Crutchfield has it on sale for $150 right now. I got mine from 12v-electronics for the same price.
Looking forward to seeing pics of the completed install. What size Premier sub is that? That's a tiny amp. Very cool. My Clarion is working out nicely paired with my Rockford Fosgate 12" 200W enclosure. It's a bit bigger than the Blaupunkt but puts out 400W. So far so good. If someone doesn't mind the size it's on sale for $129.99 on Crutchfield.

Quick Reply: Has anyone fit a sub under one of the seats?