Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPhone dock

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Default iPhone dock

Has anyone rigged up an iPhone dock in their xB2? If so I'd like to see some pictures/descriptions. I sat in my car for 15 minutes scratching my head...there just doesn't seem to be a good place to put it, other than right in front of the left driver vent.

Thanks

-Moose
Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an iPhone too but never really thought of docking it in the car. That would be pretty cool I guess. The location you mentioned would be cool but it woud block the vent and it would be scary if you drove with the windows down. It would be relatively easy though to wire up a dock there. At one point I was thinking of getting one of those iPod/phone holders with an articulating arm and a base that sits in one of the cupholders. I don't care too much about charging the phone as much as I do being able to see the screen when somebody calls. I haven't done it becasue I like to keep the clutter to a minimum. For now my phone just goes in one of the cupholders or the rubber cupholder thing that comes free with the car.

Sorry I don't really have much of an answer to your question but I do have a question for you. Have you ever charged your iPhone with a gigarette lighter charger? Does your phone get all hot? Mine does... I'm not sure if it hurts the phone but I usually keep it unplugged while in the car. I haven't noticed if the iPod jack makes the phone hot too. I usually have my iPod plugged in there.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Sorry I don't really have much of an answer to your question but I do have a question for you. Have you ever charged your iPhone with a gigarette lighter charger? Does your phone get all hot?
I don't charge it there. If I plug it in it's just to the iPod jack. It doesn't seem to get hot in there, but I haven't had it plugged in the car for any length of time.

And yea, about the dock. I thought about one of the arm things, and I also considered how it would block the vent if it was up there. There really seems to be no good place for it in the car... other than the cupholder like you said.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just read that older iPod chargers may have different specs than what the iPhone needs, If you use a different charger and your iPhone is getting hot, then it's probably doing some damage to the battery. I've only done it once or twice, but I will stop from now on. Luckily may battery lasts all day and could probably go 2 days without a charge.

You could always use double-sided tape to mount a phone holder on the dash somewhere. I can't remember what's to the right of the steering wheel but that was a good spot in my old car.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 AM

I guess it's just going to take some visits to the store and a lot of thinking. Thanks, though.