Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Just got my Kenwood DNX 7100 and have questions

Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 AM
SL Member

Default Just got my Kenwood DNX 7100 and have questions

So I picked it up on Friday and got it installed Saturday. I love it. I got the bluetooth with it and the ipod cable. I got a hell of a deal on it too. Everything came out to $1,130 but would of been a little cheaper had I paid in cash and not my card. They had to charge me the tax since I paid with card. Anyways, I love the system but have a few minor complaints. I don't understand why people say the interface is hard to understand, cuz it's pretty simple. But my complaints are
1) Don't like the fact that you can't get caller i.d. on an incoming call while on a call.
2) Don't like that you can't use the nav for street only routes. It's always trying to put me on the hi-way.
3) You can't delete anything out of the phone book unless you reset the system and add everything again

Anyways those are such minor complaints compared to how incredible this system is.

But I do have a few questions for those who know. I just ordered the XM antenna with the NavTraffic(GXM-30). Looking at the pictures, the connections seem to be usb. How will I hook this up if my ipod is already hooked to the usb on the headunit?

Also, can the back up camera be left on while driving or does it just come on when in reverse.

I appreciate any help I can get. Also some tips would be great.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can tell it to avoid highways.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:42 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
You can tell it to avoid highways.
Where can you tell it that? All I found was avoid major,medium, and minor roads but not highways
Old 12-19-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tell it to avoid major roads, highway is a major road if you ask me.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 AM
SL Member

Ok I see the mistake I made. I thought I put it to avoid but it was on "prefer". Thanks you guys I got it working now. But do any of you have the XM and Navtraffic (gxm30) hooked up along with an ipod? They both hook into a usb. So how can I have both since there's only one usb??
Old 12-20-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure about your USB issues. My unit is not the same as yours and has no such inputs. Sorry I could only comment on the Garmin nav as mines nav is the same or very similar to yours.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Why not try a USB hub installed behind the head unit?

Something like this might solve the problem:
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod..._code=50166501

Just a thought. Good luck.

cc
Old 12-27-2007, 12:57 AM
SL Member

thanks guys but I figured it out. It has a port for a mini usb which is what the xm/navtraffic antenna requires. Everything works perfect now. If anyone is interested in getting a Kenwood DNX 7100 I got a good deal on mine. It was $877 out rhe door. New not a refurb. Though I added the Ipod cable and Bluetooth which brought it to $1139. After doing a lot of research on nav systems I liked this one over the rest. And I've never been a big Kenwood fan. Hit me up if interested.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm actually looking to get that system for my xD but need to save up the money to get it. You say that the interface is fine but what about the navigation? Or is that what you mean?

I need to find a store with the Kenwood DNX7100 and the Pioneer Avic D3 to mess with..
Old 12-27-2007, 04:35 PM
SL Member

Though the D3 is less expensive then the Kenwood, I just wasn't impressed with the fact that you keep having to insert the map dvd's everytime you need navigation. And from what I hear is that its only good for a 25 mile radius. Meaning if you're going on a road trip, you're gonna have to pull over and reload your map every 25 miles. You don't have to do that with the Kenwood as its built in. I've also heard that the D3 focuses on the nav and doesn't give too many sound adjustment options while the Kenwood is pretty well detailed and sounds great. I can't believe how good my car sounds now with stock speakers. Interface is easy to use all around. I think peoples complaint is that they're comparing it to a regular stereo which its not. Its a whole different system and once you can accept that then you'll have no problem. I'm VERY happy with this system though I liked my Parrot bluetooth better then this one. I hope this long explanation helps.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Question re Ipod Center Console

Does the DNX7100 come with a minijack cable for you to plug your ipod into the center console like the factory one does or do you just run the cable through into the glove box or something? I am interested in getting this if I can get it so its like the factory scion ipod connections where you can plug into the center console. Any info on that?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:31 PM
SL Member

The ipod cable has 3 different connections on the stereo end. Its so you can play your ipod video. My ipod is in my glovebox. I'm sure there's a way of hooking to the factory connection. But I never really liked the location of.it since it makes your ipod visible and besides your center console there's really no good place to store the ipod
Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have the DNX 7100 Deck and I am very impressed by it. I bought 2, one for the Wife and myself and love using it. You cant go wrong with this deck. The Avic-D3 doesn't come close to this unit.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any pics?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by thumper_1151
any pics?
Here ya go

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0&i=113DNX7100
Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can u use the new sirius traffic monitor with this? not th XM's? Ive always wondered what the xm traffic nav looks like too.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does pac or anyone make a steering wheel adapter setup for the DNX? Im about to pick up this unit too.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by James_Bond
Does pac or anyone make a steering wheel adapter setup for the DNX? Im about to pick up this unit too.
There is no Pac connection because the Kenwood DNX does not have a remote control cable in the back. You can use a standard pac swtich (not sure which one at the moment) and use the IR to change the tracks/Volume ETC but I have heard it is not a great option. Personally I just use the deck to make changes.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Highlander1976
Originally Posted by James_Bond
There is no Pac connection because the Kenwood DNX does not have a remote control cable in the back. You can use a standard pac swtich (not sure which one at the moment) and use the IR to change the tracks/Volume ETC but I have heard it is not a great option. Personally I just use the deck to make changes.
Yea but....?

Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The DNX7100 has a "steering remote control" lead attached to the harness. When used with the optional SWI-JACK interface (item #127SWIJACK), you can retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TY9d8Vw...=detailed_info