Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Removing rear seat help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Removing rear seat help?

I saw some offhand comments on removing the rear seat to get access to the trays/etc underneath, but no pics/nothing concrete. Basically, a friend and I both have XB2s, and we were looking at putting dual amps and a cap underneath there - gutting the rear trays if at all possible and leaving just the shell/outer appearance part. My problem is that I can't fit my JL 500/1 under the driver's seat, and any 4 channel is probably going to be just as big (my old 300/4 was the exact same size give or take I think). Has anyone removed the seat and/or put an amp rack/etc there? Pics or guidance on removing the seat would be ideal. System so far is:

Clarion Max675VDII
HD NAV add-on
Sirius add-on
PAC steering module (being installed tomorrow - I just couldn't make it work, so I'm having CC do it)
JL 500/1 sub amp
Elemental Designs underfloor sub enclosure 13KV.2(?) sub

Not sure on a 4-channel amp as I sold my 300/4 when I got my last car, and my cap is ancient so I may get a new one (it's a bolt 1.0 farad).

Looking at Polk DB2 or Momos to replace stock speakers when I get the 4-channel, component in front and 2-ways in the rear. I had components in the rear on my Matrix and it messed with me too much - and putting the tweeter down near the driver defeats the purpose of getting the components for the most part IMHO.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Just get in there and start pulling up on the front of the seats. No pictures really need to be taken. There's just a little clip that holds the passenger side and the driver's side. You can feel the bar that it attaches to.

I've thought about building an amp rack there, but I don't really want to cut up the tray. I suppose I could make a fiberglass mold and make a full tray out of glass... Hmmm. Now you have me thinking... I think the higher end Memphis amps would fit exceptionally well in that area.

You're right about having comps in the rear, pointless. I know a lot of people that run 0 rear fill. Speakers are only there for passengers.

Ditch the cap and upgrade your grounds. http://www.realmofexcursion.com/foru...ad.php?t=17970

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/foru...read.php?t=924

With that little wattage, I'd say just do the big 3 illustrated in the second link. As I recall, elemental designs has a video on their website showing you how to do it. It's probably one of the best things to do !
Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 PM

Default Actually no...

If you just pull up on it, you'll remove the rear cushion maybe, and most likely break your seat. To remove the rear seat safely and/or completely:

1. Fold the seats down
2. Locate and remove the 4 bolts in the lower corners of each half of the rear seats - this removes the tops of the seats. (** the larger half is tethered via seat belt so unless you want to remove the seat belt, this will not be coming out - I just put mine in the cargo area)
3. Open the 3 tabs in the plastic tray and remove the 3 bolts there
4. Remove the 4 bolts for the bar along the rear seat
5. Push/twist/slide/unhook the little stiff tether towards the middle of the seat cushion holding it to the rear bar
6. Remove the 2 rear bolts for the tray frame by *gently* lifting up the cushions to access the bolts.

At this point you have bare floor/carpet. To pull the tray off the frame, there are 5 light/small bolts you can just take off. If you wish to seperate the cusion from the tray, simply push in the tabs on the 2 clips holding the cushion to the frame.

Just finished carving out the try and putting that and the frame back in the car. There's a hump in the middle that will make an amp tray and/or placing a capacitor under the seat impossible (I have a JL 500/1 and 300/4, and a 5-farad Tsunami cap), I'll take pics once we're done/before everything is back together.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1! thanks for the full write-up! lots of help thanks thanks thanks!!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea just PULL hard on the center of the 2 butt sections and it will pop off. TO remove the entire frame its a pain and not necessary
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Ehhhhh...

You can do that, and again - there are clips in place that may or may not crack/break if you do it that way. It's not a snap-on design like the panels in the car - it probably wouldn't be road-legal that way. ;)

As for not necessary - that depends. If you're trying to just look at your pretty trays or run a bit of wiring, and you're comfortable yanking - no, it probably isn't. But if you're trying to make use of the space beneath the seat - IE mounting your 2 amps, distribution blocks, cap, nav brain, crossovers, etc etc, then yeah...it kinda is. ;)

Before putting the seat fully back together though, I would suggest doing something to make pulling just the cushion off more simple - for tweaking and access once you're all setup. A friend suggested sturdy tape around the clips so they don't engage/lock 100% so that you can more easily just yank without worrying about breaking anything.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 PM

hmmmm so it sounds like there is 2 small areas on each side with a hump in the center of the floor. I was hoping to find a way to squeeze my nine.5 under there
Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 AM
SL Member

any pics