Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

In search of a Nav unit...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default In search of a Nav unit...

I've been reading the posts on here and searching the internet but I can not seem to find the one I am looking for. Perhaps those of you with more experience would help me out?

I would really like a nav unit that accepts voice commands (XM channel 127, play artist megadeth, IPOD artist AC/DC, phone home, etc.).

I'd like it to integrate with the existing AUX, iPOD and satellite radio connections in my car. It seems like most people are putting the new wiring into their glovebox. I want to keep it where it is. I take it the existing wiring can not be used due to proprietary connectors? But, this is most likely an installer option (I would have to pay someone to install it, BTW).

I think I want it to have a hard drive for the NAV data so I don't have to keep the disc in it. Not sure if that is really needed but I do not want to be flipping out discs. If I have the iPOD connected that would not really be an issue but I have a lot of DVDs full of my ripped CDs and vinyl, so it would have to be able to read MP3s from DVD.

Upgrade the NAV maps for free would be great, too.

I want to be able to use the steering wheel remote (I just wish it had a pause button).

Bluetooth for my phone, with caller ID appearing on the NAV display.

I'd rather have a double din unit, not the kind that has a motorized/flip up/out display unless it covers the same area and not pop up over the dashboard.

Well, I think that is it...Does such a unit exist? Or do I have to wait to see if someone makes a microsoft sync unit next year?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe that what you are looking for is not yet on the market. sync decks will not be out for a while. some exclusive deal with automakers. also with this new technology i would wait a bit as you can see nothing microsoft makes never works right the first few attempts.. lol
Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not asking for too much, are we!?!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ibnboxin
i believe that what you are looking for is not yet on the market. sync decks will not be out for a while. some exclusive deal with automakers. also with this new technology i would wait a bit as you can see nothing microsoft makes never works right the first few attempts.. lol
Yeah, I think the agreement is for 12 months exclusive with Ford cars...
Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Not asking for too much, are we!?!
Nothing is too much for my xB2!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nothing willl work with the existing ipod and aux hook-ups yet. However, seeing as all of the stock units are pioneer, I can't imagine the stock iPod hook-up being that different from the ipod interface they sell to connect with the AVIC D3. It is just a matter of time before someone figures out how to make it work.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member

This source has been on these forums before, but I will throw it out there again. You can get a Toyota factory navi unit from Troy at www.oemvalue.com. I purchased one of Troy's 06 Camry units last year for my 05 xB, and I didn’t have any problem with it whatsoever. I just recently got an xB2 and started to install the unit in that! I didn’t want the Scion Navi because of the 2200 bucks and no Bluetooth. But now Troy sells the 08 Solara Navi unit that has Bluetooth, and a 4disc CD player. I ordered mine Jan 1st, and just received it today. The only thing that this hasn’t got is a dedicated IPOD connection, , but I don't have an IPod, I use the Zune, but the iPod will still work in the AUX port I think and the unit also uses the same Sirius Sat receiver that I use for my current factory unit. Now you may need some additional items that he also sells or will provide you the source, so read the site thoroughly. But I'm going to have everything else you mentioned and keep that factory and function look that I desire!

Big D
Old 02-17-2008, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just bought a factory nav unit on eBay for 900.00 with free shipping. May check there. search my user name and you can see who I bought it from. bashor317 Have a good one!!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 714xb
nothing willl work with the existing ipod and aux hook-ups yet. However, seeing as all of the stock units are pioneer, I can't imagine the stock iPod hook-up being that different from the ipod interface they sell to connect with the AVIC D3. It is just a matter of time before someone figures out how to make it work.
Actually, the SNS isn't Pioneer
Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lvbitwiz
Actually, it is. There was a lot of discussion about the brand of the OEM nav unit. Many thought it was eclipse, but it is in fact Pioneer. I am sure there are others on the forum that can confirm this for you if you want.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

714xb, listen to your elders, they have wisdom beyond their years.

It's Alpine, not Pioneer:

http://scionpartspeople.com/searchpr...igation+System
Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lvbitwiz
Actually, it is. There was a lot of discussion about the brand of the OEM nav unit. Many thought it was eclipse, but it is in fact Pioneer. I am sure there are others on the forum that can confirm this for you if you want.
No, it really is Alpine. You really think Pioneer electronics would let one of their competitors slap their brand on without putting their own too? Still a shame it dosen't have pre-outs, but a nice LOC from Navone works great
Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey everybody, I got the absolute straight scoop on the whole SNS "who makes the navi?" controversy.

Alpine technology is used for the audio head unit, as most of us already knew; however, they do not supply the navi system. The navi is from Aisin AW, scroll about halfway down to see our system:

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/02produ...nal/index.html

For further proof, if you go into the SNS system check mode, touch "Menu", then touch "Navigation Check", then touch "Parts Information", you will see that it says "AISIN AW" for the navi.

"... and now you know the rest of the story."
Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoop...There it is !!