Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help with 4 channel amp

Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Default Help with 4 channel amp

Well after spending all day outside and tearing the car apart, i have finished installing new speakers and a 4 channel amp.

Full System Specs:
Headunit: Alpine 9885
4 Channel: Alpine MRP-F450
Front Speakers: Polk Momo MMC6500 Components
Rear Speakers: Polk Momo MMC650 Coaxial

Sub JL Audio 10w2v2 w/ 330 watts from a rockford fosgate amp

I have no idea how to tune the 4 channel amp. I have never done it before and i don't know how. Currently w/ the factory settings i'm missing midbass. I have the crossovers on the Components set to -3db for the tweeters because at 0 they were way to bright. I have the headunit 0'd out. Any advice on how to set or what to set my 4 channel amp to?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

normally i just turn the music up slightly loud..and mess with the amp until it sounds the way i want it too..that seems to be the best way to me
Old 01-07-2008, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Use a DMM? Head over to ICIX and there are various methods. The DMM method is a few simple calculations and then you look for a voltage out of your amp in each channel. You'll need test tones as well.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help with 4 channel amp

Originally Posted by Farlin
...i'm missing midbass. Any advice on how to set or what to set my 4 channel amp to?
The amp has 2 independent switchable crossovers (1 for each channel pair), covering a range of 50-400Hz. First you want to ensure both of the switches are set to HP (high pass). Then set the range for each of them to a point in between the "75" and "100" numbers you see printed around the control. It's likely that the current setting is too high in frequency, which would certainly limit your midbass. If that's the issue, then setting up the crossovers as I stated above should resolve the problem.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by nodsetse
...i'm missing midbass. Any advice on how to set or what to set my 4 channel amp to?
The amp has 2 independent switchable crossovers (1 for each channel pair), covering a range of 50-400Hz. First you want to ensure both of the switches are set to HP (high pass). Then set the range for each of them to a point in between the "75" and "100" numbers you see printed around the control. It's likely that the current setting is too high in frequency, which would certainly limit your midbass. If that's the issue, then setting up the crossovers as I stated above should resolve the problem.
Yes that worked a lot, thanks a bunch. Any tips on what i should set my sub at so i get a good blend?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

60Hz usually works well.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
Yes that worked a lot, thanks a bunch. Any tips on what i should set my sub at so i get a good blend?
You said you're using a RF amp on the sub, and that it's getting 330w, but didn't say what model it is, so I can't download the owner's manual to see what controls it has. That's what I did with the Alpine, as needed to provide you with that explanation, so let me know what RF amp you're using on the sub and I'll try to give a thorough reply.

Generally speaking it depends on a few things - 1) choices the amp controls give you, 2) how low in frequency your other speakers are playing, 3) how much bass you like relative to the other speakers, and 4) the filter slope (attenuation rate) and architecture. Many people set both the LP (low pass) and HP to the same setting (usually around 80Hz) and find it adequate for their purposes. Sometimes it's beneficial to "underlap" them, with the HP ~80 and the LP ~60Hz or less, but it mainly comes down to personal taste. If you're a 'basshead', then try setting them the same and see if you like it, as that should provide a lot more output in the 60-100Hz range than you'd get with underlapping. You'd probably also want them both set the same if you want LOUD bass but also want the main speakers playing at a much lower level. If you're not interested in bass as much as overall system sound quality, or if you find it too "boomy" with them set the same, then try underlapping, as that will reduce the unwanted boom, while still providing the low bass.

*Disclaimer - The above is only intended for "casual listeners" who want to set it up quickly by ear. It won't be adequate for those serious about SQ or autosound competition.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the tips. As soon as i can get to the store to buy some allenwrench's as i keep loosing mine i'll try those settings out.