Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Thinking about a Pioneer AVIC-Z2X...any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
SL Member

Default Thinking about a Pioneer AVIC-Z2X...any thoughts?

I was looking around for a CD/MP3/DVD/NAV unit because i want more controls/functions than the "scion navigation system" offers, also Scion's price for their unit is far too high, for the features it has, in my opinion.

anyone, i found what i think is a really good deal on OnlineCarStereo.com it consists of:

- Pioneer AVIC-Z2X 7" display head unit
- Universal Back Up Camera
- AVIC-Z2 Bluetooth Adapter

Price is $1400.00 for all 3 as a set.

Does anyone have any experience with this HU that can suggest if its worth it or not? A list of Specs can be found at... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=18774

thanks for the help in advance,

Cpl McMillan
Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im still trying to deside between this and the D3 the only thing I can see different would be the built-in Hard drive and the ability to use the navi with out having to "load" from the cd everytime... Both are great units, I have had nothing but good luck with all my Pioneer HU's

-nick
Old 01-09-2008, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by redline8k
Im still trying to deside between this and the D3 the only thing I can see different would be the built-in Hard drive and the ability to use the navi with out having to "load" from the cd everytime... Both are great units, I have had nothing but good luck with all my Pioneer HU's

-nick
The D3 has the ablitiy to store a "region/area" in memory for the navigation. I just leave the dvd in, and I hooked up my 160gig ipod for the music/movies. I didnt see the need for the 30gig harddrive when I can buy a bluetooth adapter, and plug my external harddrive up to it and have 500 gigs seen though the bluetooth.

Or you can buy a tablet pc, and do the same thing.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Loads of info here: http://www.avic411.com

My D3 is on its way.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$1400 is an awful lotta dough to replace a $5 map. You could buy a good laptop for half that and then you'd have something to use outside the car as well.

OCS does have some good deals and I think this one isn't so hot. Personally, I'm liking the Kenwood 7100 for the nav task. The screen is very sharp and the nav is made by Garmin making compatibility and updating a breeze.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 AM

I have the Alpine IVA-W205 and a blackbird. The Pioneer piece has a fan to cool it and is very noisy. It's also a little clumsy to run the nav.

That $5 map has almost got me divorced a couple of times. The Mrs. can't read one and I get angry when she gives me directions and they are wrong. In car navagation has saved me enough money in marital councling over the last six months to pay for itself at least three times over.

I haven't been this excited about a 12v product since I got a CD player in 1987. This might be better.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The fan on the D3 is not that noisy. Its barely audible with the volume down real low only if you put your ear up to it.

The fan speed does increase slightly in relation to the volume level and sound output, but i have NEVER heard the fan over my music.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I cant say much for z2, but I love my z1 and they are almost the same.. I would say its worth it. But you might consider the D3, the price it much lower and has much of the cool features of z2
Old 01-22-2008, 05:44 AM

I find the fan noise (although reduced) to be unacceptable.

My Alpine is dead quiet.

I'd of perfered the Pioneer product, but the fan noise is a non starter in my world. YMMV.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are three things about the Pioneer Nav units that I have never been a real big fan of.

1. Noise. Not only are the fans loud, like some other people have said, but the unit itself introduces A LOT of noise into your system, at least from my experience. I had the AVIC-N1 nav a few years back. You could hear everything through my speakers, and I mean EVERYTHING. You could hear the motor that makes the CD spin, and tons of mechanical noises through the speakers. I originally thought it was a problem with a ground somewhere, but after tons of testing it was proven that the unit itself was the culprit.

2. They have 2v outputs. This isn't a huge deal for the most part. But similar nav units (Eclipse for example) are able to use 5v outputs, so why can't Pioneer? Like I said, just a small issue here, not a real problem by any means.

3. 3-Band EQ. Seriously, Pioneer? 3 band equalizer? Why even include it? Why not just have your standard bass/treble controls like the $50 Wal Mart special? I'm sorry, but if you are paying over $1000 for a unit, there is NO reason for it to only have a 3 band EQ on board. 5 band should be the bare minimum, and I feel 7 band should be included.