Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Replacement tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replacement tweeters

so i recently installed sound deadener in the doors and threw on some infinity speakers (which sound awesome btw) and i want to switch out the factory tweeters. i hate that they distort and get a little scratchy any time i turn up the volume. anyone switched them out for something better? i'm going to be running them off the factory upgraded head unit btw.

and before any one suggests this, i don't want to switch out the head unit or hook up a 4 channel amp. i want something simple, affordable, and pretty easy to install.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im with you man, ive got the premium HU from the 08 and im also interested in changing my tweeters.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm trying to figure that out myself. I heard people say in other articles that they had to cut them out, not sure if that's true or not though. I want to upgrade my speakers in the doors as well. Thinking about going component though so the doors in front will match.

What did you use for sounds deadener? Oh! Did you use two-way Kappa series or Reference speakers?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i went with the reference speakers. i lost a little bit of volume as far as bass is concerned, but that's fine by me since i'm installing subs. however, the bass i have now is very clean, tight, and punchy. on top of that, the sound is fuller now. before it was all highs from the tweets and the doors just pounded out bass. now i get all types of sound. i got them on crutchfield for $98 shipped for 2 sets. definately a great buy imo.

for sound deadener i used e dead. it's a great product. install was a pain but it is so worth it. i have absolutely no rattles or buzzing from the doors. no matter if i have the music cranked all the way up and the bass booming, i get nothing but the sound of the speakers. and i'm a freak when it comes to rattles so believe me when i say i listen and listen hard for them.

i was checking out ebay and found some infinity tweets that caught my eye. was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and if any special wiring would need to be done. i'm positive mounting them would be a breeze.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=015
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also found these. opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020
Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Appreciate that. Thank You. If I hear anything on how to remove factory tweets. I'll post it.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

well if you swapped the factory speakers for aftermarket infinity speakers chances are they are coaxials and already have a tweeter. a lot of the time at work we just end up disconnecting factory tweeters when we install speakers
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, the infinitys are coaxials but the car definately needs the tweets.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went with all infinty speakers with the component tweeters. I can crank it all the way with no distortion
Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which tweeters did you get? how was the install? any wire cutting needed?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

didnt get anything from crutchfield but these are the speakers and tweeters. had a friend of mine at best buy purchase and install everything so i dont know about the install specifics, but ive been very pleased with the sound
Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 AM

I went ahead and replaced all my speakers with infinity. haven't had any problems.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ how did you wire it up? i am thinking of going all infinity too but i am a car audio newbie...
Old 01-20-2008, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be careful in how you wire the additional tweeters, wire them in parallel and you could overload the headunit amp. You're going to need 8 ohm tweeters for parallel, or wire in series (lose volume in both tweeters), or you'll have to run them off the rear channels (without the rear speakers.) Essentially, what you're proposing will have a major compromise in some way.

If you're still wanting to try, Part Express and Madisound are great places for component drivers. Vifa and Peerless are very good inexpensive brands (they manufacture components for many other companies.)

Lastly, you're probably going to need a crossover. If you use Madisound, they can build one for you if you explain how you're going to use it and wire it. The Vifa 26 works quite well with a simple 6 db/oct high pass filter (it amounts to a capacitor wired in series.) Again, they could tell you the uF required. (Note that xover behavior is dependent on the resistance of the driver it's connected to. If you wire another tweeter in to the network, the xover freq will be changed.)

This isn't as simple as you thought it was, is it? Good luck.