Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Elemental Designs - Anyone have experience with custom boxes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Elemental Designs - Anyone have experience with custom boxes

I'm very closely eyeballing the ED enclosure thats made to fit in the XB's spare tire space seen here: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...924247f4615322

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with either this, or other ED enclosures. They look oustanding both in concept and build quality, but what really matters is the sound quality.

I don't need a rediculously booming setup, but i do need a clear crisp clean one, that will boom and kick on the notes that are supposed to, but accuratly produce the onces that arn't as well.

Amp, enclosure, and subs can be packaged at a little under $500 and it would look great so I'm very tempted. Just thought I'd hear what you all thought.

I've already got my car pre-wired with 2 gauge to a distro block with 4 guage going to my speaker amp, and another 4 guage socket for going to whatever sub setup i get, so the power range of this system is ideal as well.

I also am really attracted to the fact that these are basicly theft proof. I dont think a car theif would find these if he broke into my car. Sure he'd nab my deck, but the location of the amp install and the fact that my infinities are installed under stock grills in addition to how stealth these are make me very happy. I want my car to be stock looking, but i want people to "wtf" when i turn the system on

Any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:15 PM
SL Member

You can't go wrong with elemental designs. They are really good.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if they made this box for 8" subs, i'd be all over it.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone know what the depth of this box is? i have some subs i might be able to use on these.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have one of their 13: enclosures on the way, awaiting their woodshop, already paid for. I also have their 13Kv.3 D4 waiting to go in. Read on ICIX and you'll see they make good gear.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great news I'm sold. I'll be ordering it as soon as my tax return lands :D

Which do you think would have better output? the dual SQ10 10" or the single 12" 13kv.2?

Like i said i want it to be able to slam if I'm in the mood. Will the SQ10 be able to despite being low profile or do you think the 13kv.2 is going to be more what I'm looking for?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chat with their online Tech, they are very good and answered many of my questions. Even if they had to recommend other folks gear, nice huh? You can post up over on ICIX and get a lot of good input, but I'd chat with the online eD tech. How much power can you feed it/them? What is your HU? Amp(s)? Front comp set? Rear fill, if any? Spec out your system and paint a complete picture, then you can start playing with the setup and figure what would be best.
Might I suggest sound deadening please? ;)
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They have good customer service and quick to respond, but I just cancelled my order with them.

The reason, it has been "awaiting woodshop" for 3 weeks now. Sorry, but that is terrible service. If I am buying an item that is listed as "In Stock" I shouldn't have to wait over 3 weeks for it to even be STARTED.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would go with the single...thats the plan that I have. I emailed them, and that is what they recommended since the 10" subs are a single voice coil, and part of their size and shallow profile, they probably won't hit as hard
Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

And it definitely shouldn't have been listed as in stock.

We're currently slammed with HT subwoofer orders and try to get all the car audio boxes out of here once a week or so. The downside to the xB2 boxes is that they aren't exactly the quickest and easiest to make taking up a good amount of space and time during their production.

The status is now updated to "Custom - Built to Order" as of about last week though.

If anyone has questions about them, let me kno.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mandos, what's the max depth of these boxes? and any chance they can be made for 8" subs?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Dual 10", about 3.75". Single 12" about 5.5".

Without having the car here, it's really hard to say how to modify it esp. with me having negative time.

Notice how often I post here now
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

grrrrrrrrr. i finally decide to get the ed dual enclosure and it won't work for me. man, that sucks! guess i'll have to make my own, realize it sucks, then pay someone to do it right.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
And it definitely shouldn't have been listed as in stock.

We're currently slammed with HT subwoofer orders and try to get all the car audio boxes out of here once a week or so. The downside to the xB2 boxes is that they aren't exactly the quickest and easiest to make taking up a good amount of space and time during their production.

The status is now updated to "Custom - Built to Order" as of about last week though.

If anyone has questions about them, let me kno.
I ordered mine Jan 8th, but I'm holding out, I think they hit a small snag on the enclosures and had to redesign something, if I recall correctly, from speaking to Alex at eD. I already have the 13Kv.3D4 waiting for it, I pet it daily when I pass it at my house. My girl looks at me funny.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uberspeed - What was your decision-maker over going with the single 12" vs the dual 10"?

My setup:

Deck: AVIC-D3
Front: Infinity Kappa 6.5" Components
Rear: Infinity Reference 6.5" (Not components)
Amp: Alpine Amp putting 80 watts per channel (model# escapes me)

I have a distribution block pre-installed with a 2 guage lead from the battery, and two 4guage outs, one to the alpine, and the other patiently awaiting whatever sub system i put in.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanted stealth and chose my amp based on this. I prefer simplicity as well, like to avoid hooking up stuff in series/parallel/etc for proper ohm loads. I like for each speaker and sub to get their own channel. I came up with 2 amps. PG XS6600 and Eclipse XA5000. I preferred to feed one 12" with 450W @ 2Ohm than attempting to feed 2 10"s and I thought it would hit harder and more accurate. Added benefit, cheaper to buy 1 12 than 2 10's. There's my thought process in a nutshell.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've always done 10" subs, maybe it's time to take a leap of faith and do 12". I would enjoy the added benefits of a larger driver's frequency range.

Plus I would imagine that a single full sized 12" would kick harder then 2 low profiles ever could.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A single 12 will be cheaper, too. The SQ10 is a good sub but not quite an eD K sub. The 13K has less cone area then 2 10s but it has greater xmax. It will also give you a lower F3.

If you have the $$$, you could go with the O series. That'll give you a little more efficiency and xmax.

FYI: The VSi 13 is 1cf, and you could use any 12" sub, if your partial to a particular brand.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anybody bought this yet? im looking for pics of the back of the box
Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bosssadler
anybody bought this yet? im looking for pics of the back of the box
As soon as I receive it I'll post up pics. Still waiting on mine.

Quick Reply: Elemental Designs - Anyone have experience with custom boxes