Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Audio upgrades for my 2nd generation xB

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member

Default Audio upgrades for my 2nd generation xB

Wow,
I'm really liking my new xB, but as with my tC, the stereo is only
marginally above crappy...I got the Pioneer Premium with the downloadable skins, etc...but what I like is that it's pre-jacked for amps...
So here is the deal...I wanna keep the head, get new speakers all around (what are they 6 1/2"?) put them on one amp, get a decent sub on a second amp, and wire it up with some nice sparkly speaker wire, etc... I'M NOT TRYING TO DESIGN A SHOW SYSTEM, ONLY SOMETHING THAT WILL HELP ME ENJOY SOME DECENT SOUND?

Anyone have any good combinations that have worked well in your toasters? Any tips/ tricks/ leads or links to other sites? It's been a while since I've done any of this, and I want to do it right!!! HELP!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search is your friend ;)

6.5" they are.
There are a few folks running around with setups already, mine will be completed within the next few weeks, you can click the link in my signature to get an idea. Plenty of good info and ideas here as well:
http://www.icixsound.com

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

6.5 in the front 5.25 in the back
Old 02-01-2008, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If you're not looking for a lot of power and want some decent sound output, you could go with a 5 channel amplifier. I know if space was a restriction for me, I'd probably go with that option.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vietfob714
You can fit 6.5 in the rear as well. Speaker brackets/adapter rings will get you to 6.5 for the rear.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
If you're not looking for a lot of power and want some decent sound output, you could go with a 5 channel amplifier. I know if space was a restriction for me, I'd probably go with that option.
That's what I'm doing. I have the Eclipse XA5000 sitting in my living room. Ask me how thrilled my wife is to have all my audio gear sitting there lol
Old 02-01-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberspeed
Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
That's what I'm doing. I have the Eclipse XA5000 sitting in my living room. Ask me how thrilled my wife is to have all my audio gear sitting there lol
my living room is probably just as bad. walk past the dinner table and you'll find some subs, wiring, amps, mdf, springs, and a cargo cover. luckily for me, i'm single!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vietfob714
You can fit 6.5 in the rear as well. Speaker brackets/adapter rings will get you to 6.5 for the rear.

Alpine makes a decent 6.5 that will fit in the back without the brackets. I acutally needed the brackets for the front. they almost didnt fit.

but I am thinking about adding some kicker 8's for mid bass, but i am having a hard time deciding those over components.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DLS 8.3i ??? drools

Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uber, put it back into the closet. He doesn't want audiophile nor the hassle of custom pods. You should have at least mentioned Elemental Designs (http://www.edesignaudio.com/) as a very good source to get quality equipment at a reasonable price.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member

You know...I definitely don't want to deal with custom pods, but I do want GOOD sound! I think what's really losing me is crossovers and capacitors...When they're needed, when they're not... Good, clean audio is a must, and I'd like to fit things in without chopping up too much of the vehicle... For example, the plastic trays under the rear seats - I haven't checked dimensions yet, but I thought they might work for some smaller dimension amps. I know I've seen some smaller Infinity and Sony equipment, but I don't have tons of time to research all of the brands out there these days!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to threadjack, but is there such thing as a drop in replacement? no new wiring/crossovers. just plug into the stock wiring?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HareBrained
Uber, put it back into the closet. He doesn't want audiophile nor the hassle of custom pods. You should have at least mentioned Elemental Designs (http://www.edesignaudio.com/) as a very good source to get quality equipment at a reasonable price.
Sorry, I should have addressed my post to sho0box since he mentioned 8" midbass drivers...
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HareBrained
Forgot to say, I didn't mention eD since some folks think I talk them up too much already. I did my research and made my own decisions as to what gear to buy, everyone will have a different set of criteria and budget constraints. Now that you mention it, yes, eD is a great place for gear and advice. It still is mid tier, approaching high level stuff, but it's not your DLS, Zapco, TRU, etc.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hijo
You know...I definitely don't want to deal with custom pods, but I do want GOOD sound! I think what's really losing me is crossovers and capacitors...When they're needed, when they're not... Good, clean audio is a must, and I'd like to fit things in without chopping up too much of the vehicle... For example, the plastic trays under the rear seats - I haven't checked dimensions yet, but I thought they might work for some smaller dimension amps. I know I've seen some smaller Infinity and Sony equipment, but I don't have tons of time to research all of the brands out there these days!
Shop crutchfield and look for Polk, from the more common brands they are worth a listen. My opinion and suggestion.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miketf1
not to threadjack, but is there such thing as a drop in replacement? no new wiring/crossovers. just plug into the stock wiring?
Polk db651 to name one I would recommend.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

crutchfield has a deal going on where if you buy one set of polk speakers, you get the second set 1/2 off. that's tough to beat even on ebay.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
crutchfield has a deal going on where if you buy one set of polk speakers, you get the second set 1/2 off. that's tough to beat even on ebay.
I got in on that for my Polk's. I also did 6 months no interest financing.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miketf1
Polk db651 to name one I would recommend.
i was thinking those but they have built in tweeters, does that mean i have to unplug the stock tweeters? car audio is so different from ancient bookshelf speakers i am using..