Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual or Automatic Xb

Old 02-06-2008, 03:19 AM

Default Manual or Automatic Xb

Im getting a new 2008 Xb and can't make up my mind. Should I go automatic or manual. Its been a while since I have had a manual but I liked it when I did. I wish the Shifter for the Xb was on the floor and the cup holders where in the shifter location.

anyone care to sway me one way or another. Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

manual! it is the only way to unleash the power of the 2.4 liter engine.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I vote auto, but thats just me and my vote is most likely in the minority.

Just use the "fake" manual shifter. You can rev those RPM's up high just like a manual and really take off!

Just get what is more practical. If in more stop and go type stuff, get auto. If mostly open road, manual.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after reading this thread i'd say automatic. Auto works fine with me because i really dont unleash my 2.4l.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201005
Old 02-06-2008, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, here is what I would do. Test drive both and drive them like you would normally drive. Now you will be able to decide better which meets your needs better. While I enjoy the fun and performance of a manual trans I also enjoy the relaxed driving an auto can provide. I don't know where you live but if you live where it's very cold or very hot you may want the auto. With the auto you can install the remote starting system so the car will be warm in the Winter or cool in the Summer when you get in. With the manual trans this is not easily done or recommended. I have the auto and have no real complaints.

You might want to read some of the resent complaints about the manual trans in this link.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201005

Al
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you want more fun out of it go manual. I've always had manual trans cars. My work car is automatic and so is my wife's. It's just not as fun when you can't shift (for me at least). As for the shifter location, at first I thought it would be weird, but it's actually really nice.

The clutch does take some getting used to. I've driven a ton of manual cars, and my xB was the most "abnormal" to me. It took more time to get used to than driving my buddies triple disc clutched Supra. Just something about where it engages in relation to the pedal travel. But now I'm used to it and it's fine.

I posted in the thread linked twice above me. It seems for the most part everyone's "complaint"(if you want to call it that) is when starting out in cold weather. It's just harder to shift until it warms up. But my VW was the same way, so it's no biggie for me. Plus changing transmission fluid might help.

In the end do what al74dart said. Just drive both and see which you like more.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:40 AM

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I live in Massachusetts ..Go Pats
So it does get cold and a remote started might be nice but I have made it this far without one so i may keep roughing it.
I have tried the automatic and will be trying the standard in the next few days.

I am leaning towards the standard I will see if I can test it on a nice cold morning and see how it responds.

You know I never tried the "fake" shifter on my test. I had my 2 young boys in the back seat and the salesman in the front telling me all the features that i pretty much knew anyhow and i got ttally distracted and never tried it. Guess i will be testing that one again as well.

Thanks for the input I will update when I get it
Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member

IMO go with a stick. I've owned two other boxes with auto and went with a stick for my current box....you get more control and better gas mileage.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The older xB's were way under powered and the stick helped for being under powered. The new xB's have much more power and a stick is not really needed because of lack of power. With the older xB the auto's seemed to get better gas mileage. One problem with using a stick is it's so much fun running it up through the gears that you end up using more gas. The xB's aren't sports cars and most people don't really need a stick. When I had my two MR2's, yes the stick was much better because I could match engine speed and gearing for the corners and a lot more fun. If you are going to be racing the car or driving it hard in the corners I would go with the stick and get the optional LSD from TRD. But because you are undecided I am guessing you are not racing or driving the car hard so the auto would be my choice.

Al
Old 02-07-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had Manual for years and decided to get an Auto on the XB. But to me, the XB is a cruiser with great handling potential.. I bought it as mydaily driver and I work 40 miles away in LA traffic. I used to drive a 94 Interga GSR but after about 1hr in traffic the manual stick got really old
Old 02-09-2008, 03:00 AM

I have the manual and love it. The clutch engages close to the floor but you'd soon get used to it.
The "complaints" in the link are not uncommon to most manual transmission cars of all makes--a manual trans is a direct link unlike an auto that has a fluid filled torque converter to isolate the driver from the action.
This is my first manual daily driver in about 15 years (I also have an S2000) and I don't miss having an auto to drive
The decision as to what's right for you is really where you drive--like generem says, manuals are a pain in rush hour traffic but I think they're great fun everywhere else

Another thing to consider is that the manual is amost $1000 less which pays for a few mods---like the alloy wheels and the rear sway bar --both of which make the car even more fun!!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 AM

Thanks again to all who posted.

I decided to manual. Now I just have to wait for it to come in. can't wait
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Manual is the way to go, especially with the size of our engines.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 AM
SL Member

i got an auto due to the fact my othe car is an 06 sti. i hate the way the xb clutch is. totaly not the same. i couldnt stand it. even my wife did care for it too much
Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Auto... and then buy a faster car in a manual...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck with it. Where did you get it?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 PM

i've been test driving and still debating on what to get, too. but i'm about 80% sure i'm going to get the auto. i drove the manual and imo it just felt horrendous. i drove an element sc 5spd and it was as smoove as butter. but i just couldn't get myself to like the manual xb. as much as i miss manual, i figured i'd stick to auto. it was peppy enough anyway esp w/ the sport shift. and since it'd be a DD cruiser/hard parker/pimp wagon/**** mobile, auto is just fine...
Old 06-13-2008, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member

I came from a 5sp sports car and driving 45mi each way to work to an auto xb and I'm lovin it. Avg 31mi to the gallon relaxing listen to the ipod now instead of zoomin around. I do miss my WRX from time to time though but certainly not the premium gas.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

standard for the win is it even a option for auto
Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

to jetboater: did you make a clutch adjustment? how did you get your clutch to pull out close to the floor? mine is all d way close to d top. I hate it. I had a manual GTS and my clutch was almost at d floor and I was lovin it. Do i need to switch to sports clutch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic Xb