Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion's Alarm system..

Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Scion's Alarm system..

Hey
I just picked up my new xB RS 5.0 (#413) and I did not have the dealer install the Scion alarm. My questions are:
Are they any good compared to aftermarket, does the Scion system integrate into the existing key fob and do they pin the hood and hatch?

I figured the aftermarket system would be cheaper, but by the time the shop adds all of their "premium" charges, its only 50 bucks cheaper.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-04-2021 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can get you a factory one for $175.00
Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Scion's alarm system

Originally Posted by goldentoaster
Are they any good compared to aftermarket, does the Scion system intigrate into the existing key fob and do they pin the hood and hatch?
I would like to know the answer to this as well. Here is the install guide (http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT398-52081inst.pdf) Starting on page 19, it gives the steps to trigger alarm and QA testing. From what I can tell, it uses the factory key/buttons, there is no additional dongle.

Originally Posted by mnscionxb
i can get you a factory one for $175.00
Do happen to have one installed or have you used on before, and know the answer of above? If so, i'll take one. Send me a private message on this board. My dealer wanted like $550 to get it w/ my car, Sparks has it for $240. The install doesn't look too bad, and if it is, I could get a local installer to do it for likely $100 max.

--falz
Old 03-01-2008, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

BEST BUY VIPER ALARM... $209 with freelifetime warrenty and lifetime instalation. They will take it out and put it in any care no charge. I got that
Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SUPA_FRANKY
BEST BUY VIPER ALARM... $209 with freelifetime warrenty and lifetime instalation. They will take it out and put it in any care no charge. I got that
In my case, I don't want a separate dongle to carry around on keychain, since the xB2 has it built into the key, I intend to keep it that way. May be helpful for someone else, however.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that the Scion Security System is only a sound-sensitive alarm that is triggered when the car's glass is broken.

No motion sensor, no hood, hatch or door lock security, no fuel cut-off, no break-in notification to keyfob.

falz, if all you're worried about is not having an additional fob, Scion Security is it; however, you're not getting much "security" for your money. Instead, I'd blow it off altogether, and put the money into a lower deductible on your comprehensive insurance coverage.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Keep in mind that the Scion Security System is only a sound-sensitive alarm that is triggered when the car's glass is broken.

No motion sensor, no hood, hatch or door lock security, no fuel cut-off, no break-in notification to keyfob.
I believe it does have door lock security, as the install instructions (here) do indicate that a part of the testing is to unlock driver's door while armed and have it go off. The other things you mentioned sound about right, which is why $500 from dealer seemed to be too much, but $200ish from 3rd party seems OK.

Instead, I'd blow it off altogether, and put the money into a lower deductible on your comprehensive insurance coverage.
I definitely like this idea. Thanks for it!

I wonder if any 3rd party alarm systems have receivers or electronics to integrate with standard/stock dongles- this would get me a bit of a better system while not having another dongle. It of course wouldn't give me any 2-way communication back to the key, but that's not high on my priority list.

--falz
Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Scion website doesn't say anything about door lock security, so I didn't know that.
Either way, if somebody does break in, you're still going to have to pay to get things fixed.

I don't know what your deductible is, but I lowered mine from $500 down to $100 when I bought my xB.
State Farm charges me an extra $40 per year for the lower deductible. I'll be way ahead if anything happens,
and only have to come up with $100 out-of-pocket when it does.

goldentoaster, I hope some of this info is helping with your decision also.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i do aftermarket alarms that work off of the factory remotes ...its an interface alarm...
Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I don't know what your deductible is, but I lowered mine from $500 down to $100 when I bought my xB.
State Farm charges me an extra $40 per year for the lower deductible. I'll be way ahead if anything happens,
and only have to come up with $100 out-of-pocket when it does.
That's a pretty good deal. I beleive I priced mine out at $500 and $250, and left it at $500. I don't remember the exact number, but I *thought* it was a lot more than $40. I think I'll re-check next week, and see what the lowest deductible is. In your case, it sounds like you're getting a stellar deal- $400 difference in deductible, only $40 more = it would take over 10 years of insurance payments without any claims to make it *not* worth it.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i do aftermarket alarms that work off of the factory remotes ...its an interface alarm...
Marcemarc - what do you mean by this?? who's aftermarket system will work off of the factory remote and what kind of features and price?

Thanks to all who responded. This issue seems/ very confusing to me?!?
I am just trying to find a decent system that doesn't add more stupid remotes into my pocket, without sending me to the poor house.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i work at the dealer and the alarm that we install the most is an upgrade alarm which works off of the factory remote....same features as a regular keyless entry alarm just works off of the oem transmitter.....instead of connecting the power locks to control the alarm i hook up to the lock motors....
Old 03-03-2008, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Forgot to add that the alarm we get are dealer grade. The company we use are Checkmate. Never have any problems with them.
Similar to Viper or Automate. We install them before the customer picks up the car. My dealership sells it for 399.95 installed.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-04-2021 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All features seem to fit with what mine does.

Alarm wasnt an option on my Spec tC so I paid through the dealer option sheet. It seems aftermarket to me b/c the light was attached just above the hood latch. It works off the key fob.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goldentoaster
Marcemarc - what do you mean by this?? who's aftermarket system will work off of the factory remote and what kind of features and price?

Thanks to all who responded. This issue seems/ very confusing to me?!?
I am just trying to find a decent system that doesn't add more stupid remotes into my pocket, without sending me to the poor house.
It's also called a "piggy-back" alarm, meaning these types of alarm systems "piggy-back" the factory keyless entry. Everything looks and feels the same to you, including the remote, but the car now has an alarm activating when you hit lock/unlock, giving you door security, shock sensor, siren, etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by marcemarcxB08
forgot to add that the alarm we get are dealer grade....the company we use are checkmate...never have any problems with them....similar to viper or automate...we install them before the customer picks up the car ....my dealership sells it for 399.95 installed.
Hey, can u give me some more info via PM. I want to know system and install details.

Thanks.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-04-2021 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge