Strup axle back exhaust

Dyno results 17hp gain and 28.9 lbs of torque

http://www.scionpix.com/gallery2/gallery/download/6806-1/dyno1.jpeg

toolz
03-01-2008, 12:06 PM
can u give more detail on the black box and what went into the install process

AAG
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
^x2 what kind of dyno was this on? That's a huge torque gain (but it seemed low from stock).

CIONIDE
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Can you downsize the picture a little so that it fits on one screen?
Thanks for the info.

03-01-2008, 02:34 PM
how is the black box compared to unichip?

CarbonPhiber
03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Its a completely new and first on all Scions. Its not a chip upgrade, its more of an air-fuel ratio mod. Of course, if I told ya Id have to kill ya. lol. But overall its a significant increase in hp and torque as you can see.

As stated earlier, this is done on an 08 xB running Weapon R secret weapon cold air intake, Weapon R 4-2-1 header with S pipe, the secret black box, and a Strup axle back exhaust.

Ill resize the pix later and post that.

The secret black box will be available soon and will come pre-tuned for best torque and hp gain, all you do is plug it in. It is being proto-typed on various Scions now, should be available on all models.

Wayward
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Interesting, Im keeping an eye on this for sure.

chadfo
03-01-2008, 07:28 PM
The torque gain is significant in that lower region but it's only about 10 through the rest of the RPM range. How's the butt dyno feel because the numbers don't seem that great for over $1000 worth of parts?

CarbonPhiber
03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
As opposed to say the TRD supercharger mod.. 40hp and 55lbs gain for $5k? You cant compare this to a muscle car or something with a larger engine. On a 4cyl with low hp/torque to begin with, 17hp and almost 30lbs is quite a bit for the mods. Standard performance mods on any import car always begin with intake, exhaust and headers. This is something most people would do in the performance area anyway. Im just saying that at least if you go with this brand, you know what you're getting.

chadfo
03-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I didn't mean any offense. I was just asking.

CIONIDE
03-01-2008, 09:22 PM
When you consider the percentage of gain over stock, for a handful of bolt-on parts, it seems significant to me.
Especially the torque gain between 2500-4500 RPM, which should have a huge butt dyno feeling in day to day driving and normal zipping around.

toolz
03-02-2008, 12:12 AM
is this with the secret weapon cai as it say or just the short ram?

CarbonPhiber
03-02-2008, 12:14 AM
is this with the secret weapon cai as it say or just the short ram?

No an actual cold air down to the front bumper, this is secret weapon proto type unit. The first one they ever made.

miketf1
03-02-2008, 02:03 AM
i luckily ran into CarbonPhiber at weapon-r today. good to meet you man.

thanks for the tips and when i clear up my tickets youre the one i am going to be looking for cause these dyno numbers really speak for themselves.

jsigone
03-02-2008, 05:39 AM
pretty decent gains, stock cat?????

CarbonPhiber
03-02-2008, 09:45 AM
pretty decent gains, stock cat?????

yep stock huge submarine cat

coryjames
03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
hmmm so wonder what im at with the strup header no scuba tank and trd intake and a full 2.5 exhaust?

CarbonPhiber
03-03-2008, 01:44 AM
hmmm so wonder what im at with the strup header no scuba tank and trd intake and a full 2.5 exhaust?

I had the Strup 4-1 header, it wasnt as strong on the low-mid band torque and hp curve. I didnt want to show the dyno numbers of that since I dont want to make comparisons. The Strup is great for high-end power as its more of a race app than at street one. The TRD intake is 50 state carb legal, so they have a carbon filter in the airbox, restricting more airflow. I cant say either one since I havent tried the TRD, but its great if you want to remain 100% streetlegal.

Is your exhaust really loud? Im thinking of removing my huge resonator but Im also worried cuz the cops around here are really anal about loud exhausts. What muffler do you have?

coryjames
03-03-2008, 01:49 AM
well i dont have the trd airbox on the end of my intake its jsut a filter i modded that and its pretty loud but deep i have a header back 2.5 exhaust all the way to the trd axleback i replaced my factory resonator with a high flow spun cat so i can still pass emissions here is what is sounds like

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XtaHAfARuEI

XD40tC
03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Is this on an automatic?

NoLimitzBuilt
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
nice gains

CarbonPhiber
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks..

Yes its an automatic

Harder to dyno but with the sport shift a lil easier.

Sounds pretty good!

cTek
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
hmmmnn.. how much did you cash out altogether for your setup CarbonPhiber? i too live in the bay area, in fact i used to live up the street from Weapon R and would like this setup for my 5 speed XB2.

RPMK104
03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
how does the car sound with this setup? Does it become a drone on the highway??

MurderBox
03-05-2008, 12:03 PM
With the Weapon R secret black box ecu tune, does that require a higher octane gas? Also what does all this do to gas mileage? Thanks in advance.

CarbonPhiber
03-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Its not an ECU tune its more of a air/fuel mixture tune. As far as I can tell no difference in gas mileage, maybe -1/2 mpg at most. Makes your car run slightly richer but not to a point it would make a big difference in gas mileage.

Overall its not really louder because instead of a short ram, Ive got a cold air so you can barely hear it. Plus my exhaust is the Strup axle back and still retain my giant resonator so its not too bad. If I was to do a full catback without the resonator and up the piping, it might be considerably louder.

No I still run 87 on my B, its fine.

MurderBox
03-06-2008, 09:57 AM
COOOOL thanks for the info. Looking forward for these parts. Maybe I'll have the money to start moding the car by this summer.

captainlaziness
03-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Watching.

SilverXBox
03-21-2008, 12:19 AM
I wanna see this intake...on the weapon r site it looks like a short ram. U have any pics for us, i really wanna buy an intake and right now i'm lookin at injen, the trd is trick with the front vent, but if weapon r is doin the same i'll probably get that...how much

healthynine
03-30-2008, 05:16 AM
why is it more rich? did the intake lean things out? usually you take away as much fuel as possible to add power

NoLimitzBuilt
05-08-2008, 02:53 PM
It is the short ram with the pipeing to run into the front of the filter if I am right. There is some pics out there somewhere of it. I might be wrong there, but let me see if I can find the pics of it.

DAILYXB-TYPE-R
05-08-2008, 11:49 PM
1. how does weapon r header compare to the strup header in terms of quality, gains, fitment and finish?

2. also what is the difference in both header on the improvement in low-mid or mid-high end?

i've been searching and searching for sooo long now and i still haven't been able to find dynos for the strup header. if any one have it i'll appreciate if they can pm me or post it on the strup header topic?

also what is the gain of the weapon r header by itself?

i have the injen cai and i <3 it but the only i dislike about the intake is i feel a loss in hp in the low-mid range somewhere below 4krpm but once i rev to 4.3+rpm its a monster. so now i'm looking into how can i improve the low-mid torque. any suggetions? thanx in advance

miketf1
05-09-2008, 08:00 AM
the weapon-r header is different by design to the strup. the strup has long runners to a single collector while the weapon-r has shorter runners and a longer collector pipe.
longer runners mean more power top end, shorter runners mean lower end power. i think the weapon-r clocked something like 18hp along with the weapon-r cold air intake.
you also have to realize that the weapon-r may not make as much power but it provides more low end torque. thats what you need to get off the line.

as for your lack of power feel i think you have to re-think that. at any rpm below about 4000 it acts like a standard 2.4L engine. once it hits 4000 thats when VVTi kicks in and the cam profile changes to allow for power. i think thats why you feel its a monster up top.
i have to agree with you though. it would be nice to have more power down low but when i am nearing the redline it just feels that its lacking a bit... if you dare watch your speedo once it nears redline. it just feels like its not pulling as much..

DAILYXB-TYPE-R
05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
yeah i agree with you when i reach the upper rpm the car seem to loose power and so far i've notice it to be at 5.8k when the car stop pulling that hard. i'll look into it some more.
so with the strup header, it improve that higher rpm range so the car would pull more right. are there any dynos for the strup header, i would really want to look a it before i make a decision.
with the weapon r design it'll improve the low end so i can have a better off line acceleration is this correct? i do realize the weapon r makes loads of torque and thats what i look at more instead hp.

so the vvti won't kick in after 4k thats why any thing below that feel slugish. at first i thought it kick in around 3.5k. are there a good vvti controller out there?

miketf1
05-09-2008, 06:00 PM
yup you got it! dont know about dyno charts for the strup yet.. no one ever posted one i guess

as for VVTi im not sure about when it engages. it feels like 4000 to me though. as for vvti controllers there is a thread but i dont think theyve taken it further with it.
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=215646

coryjames
05-09-2008, 10:55 PM
um go turbo f the header

DAILYXB-TYPE-R
05-10-2008, 01:52 AM
i prefer na than f/i but at least for now. maybe go with f/i couple yrs down the road.
is the weapon r black box the same as the camcon vvti controller?
is the weapon r header availble yet?

miketf1
05-10-2008, 02:56 AM
the black box is not the same as the vvti controller. the black box is described by CarbonPhiber as more of a air/fuel tune

cee_dub says that it should be avail late may/early june

DAILYXB-TYPE-R
05-10-2008, 03:36 AM
doesn't that is what vvti controller does as well

MaxBoost925
05-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Dang Phil, I need that S-pipe and Black Box from WR man. When are they coming out?

Thanks.

miketf1
05-10-2008, 05:35 AM
from my understanding a vvti controller just changes when vvti engages. it monitors the cams and intercepts the ecu for vvti engagement

DAILYXB-TYPE-R
05-11-2008, 08:28 AM
thats what i've thought at first but then i did some research here's what i've found. after reading this it seems like the same thing as the weapon r black box but only does more. well at least w/weapon r it comes pre-tuned so you don't have to have any headache.
http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/products/electric/camcon/camcon.htm

miketf1
05-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Its not a chip upgrade, its more of an air-fuel ratio mod.

that vvti controller only controls timing and vvti

Kizale
06-24-2008, 08:14 PM
bump for black box info

Mosh_xB
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
this is good to hear, as you have the exact mods i plan on doing. :)