Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Just installed... K&N intake

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just installed... K&N intake

Well guys, I installed the new K&N intake this past weekend (ordered from K&N direct... http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-8613TS). Install is pretty straightforward, but installing the support bracket was a PITA due to having to pretty much having to do it blind. :? Other than that, no real big deals. If you've installed intakes before, this one is pretty much the same. One poor thing is that the heat-shield really gets shoved up against the battery... so beware of that.

The one change I made is that I also ordered an AEM Dryflow filter (from ajusa.com) to replace the K&N one... I had one on my Mazda 3 and loved its filtering ability (and never having to clean gunk off my MAF). Plus the K&N filter doesn't have a velocity stack in it while the AEM one does. For others who might be interested, order the standard 5" filter w/ a 3" inlet... it's a direct replacement.

Initial impression is positive. It's definitely LOUD... louder than intakes I've had in the past. It may have something to do with the fact that it's a short-ram -vs- full cold-air, however if you're wanting to maintain a quiet ride, this thing is not going to help. Power wise, I tested the car in the city, on the hwy, etc etc... great midrange pickup & a lot better WOT performance. Low end, probably little to no improvement. K&N claims a peak of 9.06hp increase (http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/69-8613.pdf).

One more plus is hwy gas mileage... with cruise on, and on flat road, my trip computer now has me back up to around 30-32mpg on a fairly regular basis -vs- 27-29. The one side effect is that I like to stomp on it more now, lol... so that's probably offset. ;)

All in all, I love the intake. I live up in the Pacific Northwest where rain can be plentiful... so having a full cold-air just didn't appeal to me (have too many local friends have issues with theirs). This intake is a great compromise. For those who are interested, I also have a TRD exhaust with the "scuba" resonator/cat-converter replaced with a 15" glasspack.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That's odd your AEM filter has the velocity stack. I have the AEM CAI and the filte is just flat on the end. Not sure it makes much difference anyways.

As for loud, even the full CAI is crazy loud. I love it but I can see how some people would be annoyed. Yours being a short ram is probably even louder LOL.

Glad it worked out well for you, plan on posting pics?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think almost any of the aftermarket intakes will be loud because the throttle body is just in front of the firewall and the thin metal tubing does nothing to inhibit the sound.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeInABox
That's odd your AEM filter has the velocity stack. I have the AEM CAI and the filte is just flat on the end. Not sure it makes much difference anyways.

As for loud, even the full CAI is crazy loud. I love it but I can see how some people would be annoyed. Yours being a short ram is probably even louder LOL.

Glad it worked out well for you, plan on posting pics?
The velocity stack is INSIDE the filter. it looks flat from the outside, but if you reach inside you can feel the curvature of the stack.

On a side note: I installed the AEM filter last night, and to my surprise it actually quieted down the intake & removed some of the vibrations I was getting inside. I'm guessing it's because of the velocity stack providing a smoother airflow, but who knows. Definitely a must-do for those who are interested.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Balliztik

Wow you are a scion owner now? When did you get out of the mazda3?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chrio
Wow you are a scion owner now? When did you get out of the mazda3?
About a year and a half ago... originally went for an 06 Dodge Ram, but financial priorities quickly changed on me so I had to make a concession and get rid of it. The xB was my choice... and it's turned out to be a great concession! :D

I take it you're from mazda3forums.com?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Balliztik

Yea I talked to you once before on there. I just traded my 3 for my xB
Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice man, well... welcome!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Balliztik

Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the thread jack
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Do you have a pic of the install? I am interested in a SRI because I live in Florida and raining season is upon us.

What do you mean about a Velocity Stack? Pic please if possible.

Do you have a link to purchase the Aem Dry filter. I could not find it as ajusa.com
Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 PM

Default away from the mazda's lol

I also had a mazda that I traded in for the XB, I had the 6 after owning the 3 when that first came out and after a year had a kid and needed something bigger. Now the XB is lots of fun and still has a good amount of room; and I LOVE the look now!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Default Aem cold air intake

I just installed the AEM cold air intake.The instuction manual that came with it had photos of an actual xb install so the job was easy. It took about 90 min. to complete,and fit was perfect.The only hard part was that the filter has to be inserted through the wheelwell then put together. After the install there was an immediate, noticable difference in torque.Also above 3500 rpms there is a tremendous difference in sound. I never knew that an intake would make such a change. The Scion xb is featured in the Oct. 2008 issue of IMPORT TUNER magazine,along with the dynos for several different mods.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IM more intersted in the filter. im thiking of getting the K&N one but wats this about AEM being better?