Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pondering an XB

Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 AM

Default Pondering an XB

I am currently driving a 2005 Acura TSX w/Nav. I really like the Honda/Acura Nav systems as they are easy to use compared to Toyota/Lexus. Is the factory nav easy to use? Does it find most addresses? How much are updates? I like the look of a factory nav but have noticed that the Pioneer AVIC-D3X is only $1K on crutchfield.com. One more thing, Crutchfield shows the steering wheel radio controls will not work afterwards and that the PAC adapter sold is not compatible. Is there a compatible solution?

BTW I am in a lease on the TSX and don't care to keep it after the lease is up and looking for something fun and inexpensive.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the xB without SNS, buy it on eBay for half price ( talk to bashor1), then install it yourself, or pay a little bit to somebody else, you'll still come out ahead.

After getting it, do the nav fix (see Randode) so that you can input location points while you're driving (which you're probably used to being able to do).

I used to sell Acura's, and their interface is by far the best on the market. Keep in mind that both systems use AISIN AW software, so it's just a matter of getting used to the differences.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use to sell acuras too and the i really liked the nav system (on top of many other things).
I ended up getting the D3. its good but since theres only 1 cd slot, switching between nav disk and cd gets annoying. other than that its great
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Hmm so a gotta choose between Nav and CD's on the D3? I haven't actually played a CD in a while....but could see how that could get annoying. I don't have a lot of car audio experience but I have installed a Kenwood Music Keg into a Toyota Matrix I used to own. I assume it's not terribly difficult to install the SNS?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the actual install should be pretty simple. removing the stock radio maybe takes 1min (that includes taking the dash pieces). i'm sure its just plug-n-play too with the wiring harness. total install time is probably <5min.
simple

i rarely listen to cds too since i use my ipod most of the time. i just wish'd they had a slot strictly dedicated for the nav disk
Old 03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I think Eclipse has a H/U that has 2 slots. One for dvd's or cd's and another dedicated for the navi system.

But, as I recall, the setup was a little spendy... More than a D3 for sure. I think it was up there pricewise with the Z2, actually.