Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Rear speakersin '08 xB - Full range?

Old 03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Rear speakersin '08 xB - Full range?

Curious if anyone with an '08 xB with STOCK speakers in doors could turn the fade all the way to the rear. Do you have full range, or do you only have woofer-type range, with no tweeter sounds at all? I had my Avic D3 installed a few weeks ago, and I've just now messed with the fader, and it sure seemed that there was no audible notes that were anything in the mid to high range it all, it seemed like it was at the low/woofer frequencies only. Can someone confirm?

It didn't appear that I have any crossover settings enabled on my D3.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 AM

It wouldn't really make sense for them to be full range, and if memory serves I don't think mine were whenever I messed with the fader.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

While I wouldn't expect to clearly hear 20khz type of notes on them, I would expect them to be at the 1khz level and higher- they sounded VERY muddy when I faded back, making me think they're nowhere near full range. Could anyone else be kind and fade back and see what you hear?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 07:26 PM

stock speakers do sound muddy. The tweeters in the front helped out but honestly just buy a component set and some cheap rear speakers if money might be the issue because you want your music to sound like it is as if there was a concert stage on the hood of your car the front speakers are about 85% of your sound system
Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The front and rear woofers are both played full range. Only the tweeters have a xover (single cap - 6db/oct). It makes perfect sense that they don't have to spend money if they don't have to. They may not be able to play back full range but that doesn't stop the signals from being fed to the drivers.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HareBrained
The front and rear woofers are both played full range. Only the tweeters have a xover (single cap - 6db/oct). It makes perfect sense that they don't have to spend money if they don't have to. They may not be able to play back full range but that doesn't stop the signals from being fed to the drivers.
Exactly! The signal being fed to the speakers is full-range, but the stock rear speakers just suck at reproducing the higher frequencies.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Originally Posted by HareBrained
Exactly! The signal being fed to the speakers is full-range, but the stock rear speakers just suck at reproducing the higher frequencies.
Great! Thanks for the information -- I was hoping they didn't go to the trouble and expense of blocking the upper frequencies to the front speakers. That means when I install coax drivers in all doors, I should get normal full range sound from them.

Originally Posted by falz
While I wouldn't expect to clearly hear 20khz type of notes on them, I would expect them to be at the 1khz level and higher- they sounded VERY muddy when I faded back, making me think they're nowhere near full range. Could anyone else be kind and fade back and see what you hear?

Thanks
The rear speakers probably aren't specifically intended to be low frequency only. The traditional low cost "full range" speaker has only a single cone and perhaps a whizzer at the center -- otherwise the center button would be responsible for whatever highs it's capable of delivering. But that doesn't make it a bass driver, just a very limited (spelled cheap) "full range" !
Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 AM

Default speakers

I popped in a set of MB Quarts w/tweeters and attached crossover. Sounds much better and can handle more power. THe OEM is boomy full range and with no tweeters in the back sounds flat.

I took the OEM speakers, broke out the driver and put the MB's on top of the frame.