Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need some advice on setup. Sub Firing Direction.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Need some advice on setup. Sub Firing Direction.

I currently am running two Alphasonik 800 series subs on a PMA1000HCA. The subs are in a ported box. Tuned very low with high spl. 152-155 in my last car. The box i have is currently my fav box ive used it in alot of cars in the trunk firing back ands its the loudest box my builder has ever built. I put it in my scion xb and it sounds like garbage and think its because there is alot of free air and have no real load bearing wall. Meaning nothing for the sound waves to bounce off of. It sound kinda decent firing up. But thats almost 18 inches to the roof If i fire it back. no telling what might happen to the hatch with all the vibration.... Ive done a trick in the past on other cars by deading the body with dynamat and filling the hollow space with high r value housing insulation. That reduces the reasonance dramatically. The hatch is nothing but empty space. Firing forward sounds ok not as boomy as i would like it gives it alittle clearance for the excursion of the sub, Since its tuned low. Im easily reaching the xmax and risk damaging the foam surrounding the cone. The seats arent that good of a surface to reflect off of andthe port is being blocked. Could get a down firing ported box made...... i dont know i just want to see what everyone else is running
Old 04-04-2008, 09:51 PM

I have this same question with my W7 also. When I aim the box at the backseat it seems to be pretty decent, it hits hard but isn't what I want. When its aimed at the roof it doesn't has as good response.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 PM

MY THING IS I HAVE AND EVERDAY 1500W AMP HOOKED UP AND ITS OK..... I JUST BOUGHT A NEW AMP. i ORIGINALLY HAD A PMA800HCA BUT I SOLD IT BOUGHT A CHEAP AMP... DONT LIKE THE CROSS OVER AND SUBSONIC AND OTHER ____ SO I WENT BACK TO THE ALPHASONIK AND WENT UP A MODEL... THESE AMPS ARE NO JOKE.... I KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT AND MAYBE THE BRUTE POWER WILL GET THE RESPONSE THAT I WANT... BUT I THINK THE BOX I HAVE PREFERS A SOLID SURFACE TO BOUNCE OFF OF I WANT TO FIRE UP... CURRENTLY FIRING FORWARD.... ONLY CAUSE THE MUSIC I PLAY MATCHES THE RES FREQ OF THE CAR AND I HAVE BODY PANEL RATTLE FROM HELL IF I FIRE IT UP OR BACK... WILL DEADEN THE PANELS SOON BUT STILL LOOKING FOR ADVICE. THE ROOF FLEXES AND CAUSES AN ODD CANCELLATION WHEN THE CAR IS SEALED... THINKING ABOUT GETTING AN ANGLED BOX MADE TO EITHER ANGLE TOWARD THE WINDOW OF THE HATCH OR TOWARDS THE MID ROOF OF THE CAR....
Old 04-04-2008, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow thats easy to read....
Old 04-05-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

What do you want? Seriously? Hate to burst your bubble, but Alphasonik is mediocre. I could ask you a bunch of questions about your setup getting the "152-155" score, but I'll refrain. Cause getting a 150 in a daily car is a little tedious.

Anyway, build a new enclosure or have a new one built. Period. Prefab boxes are garbage and should be taken care of in the same manner.

Hit up www.hexibase.com. Pete knows his stuff and he'll make the most of what you have. You can purchase an enclosure built by him, or you can buy blueprints that he will tailor to your car and your specifications. Then you either have a cabinet shop build it, or you build it yourself.

My current setup:

It's on 1500real watts.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM

This isnt scion related. I got the 150-155 in pontiac sunfire 1998 4 door running two alphasonik 800 series subs. Same box... At that time i was running two Pma800hca Amps with a 200amp alt 5 farad cap.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2151155
Old pics but and an old score of 149.7 .... but it always won my class in inches.... and thats was on a sensor mic
Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 AM

what is your box tuned at because your port is huge... I only used a port that big when i was testing out an spl box to match the res freq of my car... played the one note fine lol think it was 70 something hertz
Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Sensor mic? There's the audio control meter and the termlab... Was it sealed at the dash, kick, door open, windows open, in the port? I can go on for days. I'm a little on the serious side as far as car stereo.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by icecube57
what is your box tuned at because your port is huge... I only used a port that big when i was testing out an spl box to match the res freq of my car... played the one note fine lol think it was 70 something hertz
It's not tuned to anything...

It's a rear loading folded horn. The port tapers...
Old 04-05-2008, 12:36 AM

Sealed legal on the dash passenger side placed with jig Termlab sensor... The shop that my friend works for owns the setup. He builds my boxes.. Audio control is way way off almost 10db highe if it isnt calibrated correctly even still its way loose compared to the iasca
Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Anyway, back on topic...

You could do sub up, port up if you wanted to do a plain ported enclosure. Or you could run sub up, port back.

And if you think you're getting too much excursion from your subs, you may want to cut down the surface area of the port openning.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:41 AM

i see u like to put a few tricks in your boxes too... The angled corners.... nice.... we use silicone in the corners and fiberglass resin to stop the box from flexing. On spl boxes we use pvc pipes.. in undisclosed locations... even use an adjustable rear wall to tune port frequencies
Old 04-05-2008, 12:47 AM

its purposely tuned low the port is fine... there are baffles and polyfill inside the box to slow the air down they dont heat up. I had a DB drive WD 15 sub destroy a spider in an spl setup i did in that car...... needless to say we never ran that design again. We always tune our boxes low from 28-to about 35-40 herts and during spl shows we burp low running a sweep one day in that sunfire we didnt get our numbers until we got down to 33-34 hz
Old 04-05-2008, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

On the enclosure you're currently running, where is it ported? In your cardomain site it didn't look like the subs and port were on the same face. Only other thing I could think is port to the side. Which is pretty effective in trunk cars, but not so much in our xB2's. Mostly because there isn't any loading area, if you will.

Or you could've had it ported through the deck...
Old 04-05-2008, 12:51 AM

Its ported on the sub face the only loading wall ...if u call it a wall is the rear seat. Im looking into a crx box what do you think....
Old 04-05-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

CRX style enclosure would be fine. External aeroports or will you keep them inside the enclosure?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:55 AM

never used thos We just do the plane jane retangular or triangular tube ports we are strictly mdf here.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm not sure what a CRX style enclosure really is but I used to have a CRX. I had a down-firing down-ported box with four 8"s and it was incredible.

In my XB2 I have two 8"s in sealed enclosures firing up and it sounds good.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

CRX style box is pretty much sub up port back. That's it.

CRX's are used a lot in sound comps because there is no back seat, so you can bring subs up pretty much to the b-pillar. Also, the loading environment in the CRX is excellent.