Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Whats the best aftermarket nav/dvd system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM
SL Member

Default Whats the best aftermarket nav/dvd system?

I've been searching all over the forums and various places online but yet i still can't seem to find a decent answer on this.

I've researched the Pioneer AVIC-D3 as well as the AVIC-N4
amongst a few others.

Just wondering what the pros have to say on the matter

Which is the best nav/dvd system out of all on the market to get that is reasonable in price?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

From my limited knowledge, I think it's hard to beat the D3 for the price and what it can do. Especially now since you can get one with out any extras for $550-$600 and with the ipod cable and bluetooth stuff for right under $1000.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i just installed a D3X into my xB2 ... so far while playing around with it .. i have no complaints at all
Old 04-07-2008, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

d3

fo sho
Old 04-07-2008, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

D3. seems like thats what everyone here is going with
Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Depends...

On a budget: D3(X)

Not on a budget: Whatever you want. I've got the Clarion max675VDII, there's a newer model out now. The HD-nav is a godsend if you've ever missed a turn while following the nav in a city/unfamiliar area. DVD-based takes too long to recompute.

The map/interface on the Clarion is one of the sexiest I've seen.

Again, as with everything, depends on your needs. If you want bang for the buck, the D3 is tops. If you want sexier hard-drive based without long recompute times, and having your slot available for movies on road trips/etc, go with a HD-based.

I'm biased towards Clarion and I know it - Alpine's gone downhill (since my phantomfaceXL, they haven't made a worthy headunit). Sony I hate on principal (although they just won their first format war ever, go figure).

Do keep in mind that if you go to HD-based, you're probably talking 1k+, although the prices seem to have come down again in this latest generation.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You could also wait for the D4. I've read that's why D3 prices are so low now, because the D4 is coming out later this year. Again, that's only what I've read, haven't seen any verification of that. But given the D3's initial price was still good, the D4 might be worth waiting for.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DNX7100 Hands down

I have had almost all the nav's/dvd combos and Im sticking with the DNX7100. Best Bang for the buck, fast GARMIN HD based nav and great sound features
Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My carPC is the BEST nav there is ...

Ill be making a how to post soon..
the bottom is an Alpine iva-w200 dvd headunit.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Depends...

Originally Posted by PureAzn
Not on a budget: Whatever you want. I've got the Clarion max675VDII, there's a newer model out now. The HD-nav is a godsend if you've ever missed a turn while following the nav in a city/unfamiliar area. DVD-based takes too long to recompute.

The map/interface on the Clarion is one of the sexiest I've seen.
Wow, I'm looking at the specs and screenshots of the Clarion and it is the best looking model I've looked at. The map navigation styling reminds me of the Magellan units. Wow I so want this unit now lol.

[edit] Crutchfield has that unit for $899! Niiiice~
Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Not sure if it's the same thing, but a helluva lot cheaper...

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=18481
Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I 2nd the Kenwood DNX I have it and I love it. Bluetooth is good navi is good... solid unit.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM

After reviewing the Clarion max675VDII damn it seems sweet one question with this or any after market radios do you lose the ipod connection thats allready in the car i know you may have to get a adaptor but can you set it up to run it the way it comes stanard...

John08xB I can tell your riding in florida 110 NICE ...lol which out for the popo
Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

to keep the OEM ipod location you would have to wire up an adapter cable for it to work ... to my knowledge there is none wired up yet ...

i just ran my new cable into the glove box ... so that it is out of the way and out of sight ...

will remove the two inputs on the console and prob use them for switch locations in the future.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by -Devil-
to keep the OEM ipod location you would have to wire up an adapter cable for it to work ... to my knowledge there is none wired up yet ...

i just ran my new cable into the glove box ... so that it is out of the way and out of sight ...

will remove the two inputs on the console and prob use them for switch locations in the future.
I see that kinda of sucks being that i have the iphone and the way i have it set right now its at my finger tips which helps when it comes to texting or checking some sport scores and the glove box is a little to far away to check all that you would think that they would make a adaptor especially the pioneer system being that the radios are Pionners
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it isn't a lot of work to take the aftermarket cable and wire it to the OEM cable ...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by -Devil-
it isn't a lot of work to take the aftermarket cable and wire it to the OEM cable ...
Well when i get to that step hopefully i can find some one to do it cause it would be alot of work for some one that doesnt know what to do...lol
Old 04-10-2008, 02:34 AM

Default nav

I will chime in here as I have had a few different nav's including some OEMS. The pioneer
Kenwood are great navs. There are pros's and cons on all of them. I personally like the eclipse units as they are built by Fujitsu who does most of the Toyota radios.

This will sell you if nothing else does. The Eclipse is plug and play with the 08 XB. No fooling with anything. All of the OEM plugs fit into this unit and it works!!!! THe only thing that you will loose is the Ipod link but there is an adaptor for that and adaptors for anything else that you can think of. Also, the steering wheelcontrols work perfectly. No fooling around..

As far as hard drive vs DVD on the nav the slightly slower response is nothing in my opinion. It cost less than half of the OEM and does way more. The only bug is filling the end gaps, as the opening for this unit is wider than double din. They make fillers for it that I have ordered on e bay.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Totally agree with lasstss, I have Eclipse AVN's.... if you are installing it yourself and don't want to mess with the connectors and wiring, go Eclipse AVN series. They are THE vendor for Toyota OEM NAVI system. It is just plug-n-play, especially for the steering wheel control, no additional mod needed. You can add a backup camera too!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member

I have the upgraded radio but not the nav system. Are the AVN still plug and play? I would assume so but since my radio says Pioneer on it, I am not sure...

Quick Reply: Whats the best aftermarket nav/dvd system?