Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

whats the best amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:21 AM
SL Member

Default whats the best amp

hey whats the best alpine amp to run two 12in ALPINE type R's??
Old 04-15-2008, 03:46 PM
SL Member

24 views but noooooo help??? haha
Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ask this guy

Originally Posted by Amaran06
lol... i know how to do everying thing!!! for a system.. box, subs, amp,.. its all really easy but i just never did a two amp system.. thats all people!! hah

oh, wait...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok yet again please add more info.

like what you are planning on running. i mean the type R 12 inch has a 1500W max wattage. you going to run a crossover?? what kind of encloser are you running MDF or fiberglass. what demensions is you box at.

you can have a huge box for the subs and you would need a different amp for that. or a small encloser and need a completely different amp. it also want to know are you going to Deaden the Car or Dynomat it. with stereo's you can get up to your neck in this stuff. but with the way you are giving info.

stereo is more on the line of what type of music you listen to. you could like different music like classical or jazz. you could be into techno and rap or heavey metal. a lot of things we need to know before saying hey this is a good amp. now on this forum. you have a few big time installers and some smalltime installers. what they have in common is that the fact that need need specifics on what i stated above.

now with that out of the way anser these questions

1 Type of deck you are using? i gather from the last post on the AMp post one you are using an Apline CDA-9856
2 What type of encloser are you going to be running ( demensions would help a lot)??
3 model number of the speakers as apline has two different sets of 12inch Type r?
4 what kind of music you listen to and what exactly you are going for sound quality?
5 are you planning on Sound deadening or Dynomatting the Car??
6 Where are you planning on putting the AMPs??
7 what is your budget for this whole project???

i am willing to be you answer these questions and you will see a nice responce from people who know a lot about stereos and AMps.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I think Alpine has a website... I'm sure it has a wealth of information in which you can make a more than educated decision...
Old 04-16-2008, 03:04 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ibnboxin
ok yet again please add more info.

like what you are planning on running. i mean the type R 12 inch has a 1500W max wattage. you going to run a crossover?? what kind of encloser are you running MDF or fiberglass. what demensions is you box at.

you can have a huge box for the subs and you would need a different amp for that. or a small encloser and need a completely different amp. it also want to know are you going to Deaden the Car or Dynomat it. with stereo's you can get up to your neck in this stuff. but with the way you are giving info.

stereo is more on the line of what type of music you listen to. you could like different music like classical or jazz. you could be into techno and rap or heavey metal. a lot of things we need to know before saying hey this is a good amp. now on this forum. you have a few big time installers and some smalltime installers. what they have in common is that the fact that need need specifics on what i stated above.

now with that out of the way anser these questions

1 Type of deck you are using? i gather from the last post on the AMp post one you are using an Apline CDA-9856
2 What type of encloser are you going to be running ( demensions would help a lot)??
3 model number of the speakers as apline has two different sets of 12inch Type r?
4 what kind of music you listen to and what exactly you are going for sound quality?
5 are you planning on Sound deadening or Dynomatting the Car??
6 Where are you planning on putting the AMPs??
7 what is your budget for this whole project???

i am willing to be you answer these questions and you will see a nice responce from people who know a lot about stereos and AMps.
1. yes Apline CDA-9865 going to be upgrading to a Alpine iDA-x001 soon after subs
2.MDF, 38"long,14"wide,16"high
3.Alpine swr-1222D
4. Rap hip hop, deep bass i guess
5.Dynmatting the whole back
6.on top of the box
7.$500-$600
p.s i would like if the amp was Alpine
Old 04-16-2008, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Clean_XB
Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
I think Alpine has a website... I'm sure it has a wealth of information in which you can make a more than educated decision...
true.

but then what would be the point of this section of the forum again?
I guess so knowledgable people can take others by the hand and lead them to information instead of people actually searching...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him, well you get the idea...

To the OP, I'd recommend the PDX amplifiers from Alpine. Since there was no budget mentioned or impedence of the subwoofers, this ( http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...del=PDX-1.1000) amplifier would work pretty well. It won't push the Type Argh's to full potential, but it's a very effecient amplifier.

Next step down, but with more power output and stable to 2ohms, is this ( http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...odel=MRP-M2000) amplifier. It will draw more current and I'd recommend upgrading your stock battery and doing the big 3.

It all really depends on what you want, how loud you want it, and how clean you want the power.

All of the above information was found here, http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...p?category=AMP
Old 04-16-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well judging by you budget and specs. i would say Shop around for the Alpine MRP-M850 crutchfield has it for 279 800 watts two would keep you in budget. becareful these need to be well vented. but should work just fine. PDX line will put you out of your budget
Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 PM
SL Member

well judging by you budget and specs. i would say Shop around for the Alpine MRP-M850 crutchfield has it for 279 800 watts two would keep you in budget. becareful these need to be well vented. but should work just fine. PDX line will put you out of your budget
i was just looking at it wouldt it be better to run the Alpine MRP-M1000 for both subs?? or is that bad?? cuz then i could just buy another MRP-M1000 later on so each sub has there own amp?? or is this a bad idea?? thanks for all the help!!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm with 1000 wats to each of them. you are going to have to bump up you alternator and do a few other things. your alternator probably can't handle 1000 watts of power with lights and engine going at night. also the speakers you are using are rated at 1500 watts max. most of the time if you even use that amount of power you are going to over drive both speakers and possibly blow them. you want to stick to a 800 or a 900 wat amp. but even then you still might have to change out your Alternator and possibly battery. also with that much power you are going to need thick cable like 4 gauge or better for each AMP. that is also what you need to figure out as far as budget.

if you are going to use two AMPs and run both amps to each subwoofer. you going to need another small AMP for mids and highs as well. also i would suggest if you do that take your Rear wiper off the back window as well. yes i have seen people running around with it on and it vibrates badly. also you are going to have to deaden the entire back section of the car. i mean sides, roof, floor and tailgate or you will hear more rattles then you will bass.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 AM
SL Member

umm with 1000 wats to each of them. you are going to have to bump up you alternator and do a few other things. your alternator probably can't handle 1000 watts of power with lights and engine going at night. also the speakers you are using are rated at 1500 watts max. most of the time if you even use that amount of power you are going to over drive both speakers and possibly blow them. you want to stick to a 800 or a 900 wat amp. but even then you still might have to change out your Alternator and possibly battery. also with that much power you are going to need thick cable like 4 gauge or better for each AMP. that is also what you need to figure out as far as budget.

if you are going to use two AMPs and run both amps to each subwoofer. you going to need another small AMP for mids and highs as well. also i would suggest if you do that take your Rear wiper off the back window as well. yes i have seen people running around with it on and it vibrates badly. also you are going to have to deaden the entire back section of the car. i mean sides, roof, floor and tailgate or you will hear more rattles then you will bass.
DAMN!! ok im not going to get 1000 wats amp... but even with 800 or a 900 wat amp im going to have to get a diff. Alternater?? i have 4 gauge now.. soo im good there.. but i was going to deaden the whole back of my car anyways.. Thanks for all the Help man.. but u think i can run 800 wat amp to my 2 subs?? and sounds okay?? im just going to have the one amp for a month or soo till i get the other amp.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would agree with severedangel on the alpine pdx, but if $500 is your price for the whole project i dont think the pdx would be a good decision for you.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah you can run both subs off one AMP and it will run fine. it is when you get into running two or more mid to high powered amps that you get into a power draw fight. you really have to think more on max power draw then anything else. but yeah you should not have to change out the alternator till you go above the 1000 watt draw point. but figure out what your going to be drawing off the battery. if you draw as much as the alternator can make at any given time. you do not need to replace it. if you are drawing more then your alternator can make then yes replace it.

as far as sound goes. yes it will sound great. it is just a matter of tuning the AMP. you do not need to have 1000+ watts for those to sound and hit great. but it helps.

one of my ex roommates installed stereo's for a living. he took a 500 watt AMP 2 15 inch woofers and a 250 watt AMP running the mids and highs. daynomatted every inch of his car he had. took to a car show and beat a guy with 1500 watts system out of the water. power has nothing to do with much if you do not have you system tuned right. tuning is like 50% of making it sound good. the other part is making sure you have no inside rattles or outside rattles.

every see a car going down the road and you hear really deep and cool sounding bass only to get behind it to hear the buzz buzzz rattle of the licence plate and other rattling things. sure inside it sound good. but outside the car it sounds like complete garbage do to rattles. another this is people over driving the subs. you can hear when the subs are are not tuned correctly or the wires are not matched up correctly as it will hit. but it will sound bad inside the car and even worse outside the car.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the JBL amp would be the bang for the buck amp for the lower tier amps.... but if you want something a few notches up check out the Memphis Audio line of amps.

Elemental Design's also makes some nice amps and are handmade, i dont have much experience w/ their stuff though.

but if you want to get some serious quality sounds, go w/ Audison who also is the same company as Hertz Audio. Italian made primo sounds!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:02 AM
SL Member

yeah you can run both subs off one AMP and it will run fine. it is when you get into running two or more mid to high powered amps that you get into a power draw fight. you really have to think more on max power draw then anything else. but yeah you should not have to change out the alternator till you go above the 1000 watt draw point. but figure out what your going to be drawing off the battery. if you draw as much as the alternator can make at any given time. you do not need to replace it. if you are drawing more then your alternator can make then yes replace it.

as far as sound goes. yes it will sound great. it is just a matter of tuning the AMP. you do not need to have 1000+ watts for those to sound and hit great. but it helps.

one of my ex roommates installed stereo's for a living. he took a 500 watt AMP 2 15 inch woofers and a 250 watt AMP running the mids and highs. daynomatted every inch of his car he had. took to a car show and beat a guy with 1500 watts system out of the water. power has nothing to do with much if you do not have you system tuned right. tuning is like 50% of making it sound good. the other part is making sure you have no inside rattles or outside rattles.

every see a car going down the road and you hear really deep and cool sounding bass only to get behind it to hear the buzz buzzz rattle of the licence plate and other rattling things. sure inside it sound good. but outside the car it sounds like complete garbage do to rattles. another this is people over driving the subs. you can hear when the subs are are not tuned correctly or the wires are not matched up correctly as it will hit. but it will sound bad inside the car and even worse outside the car.
WOW THANKS MAN!! the help is great!! i well be ordering my system with in this week.. if i have any more questions u my number one man im going too.. lol thanks agin
Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 AM

Considering that each sub's rms power rating is 500 watts, the ideal amp would power the both of them at 1000 watts rms. If you go with the 2ohm DVC Type-R's you can wire them in a series to get a final load of 2ohms. Both the MRP-M1000 and PDX1.1000 provide 1000watts rms @ 2ohms. They can be had for a decent price HERE. In all honesty those subs would probably be sufficiently powered by the MRP-M850 which would save you $100+. :D

To add on to ibnboxin's reply, rattle is the worst enemy of any audio system. The best way to eliminate it would be soundeadener. Not only will it eliminate unwanted rattle (which is really a loss of precious frequencies from your system) it will also reduce roadnoise which cancels out a lot of frequencies that are crucial to sound quality. IMHO it is worth its weight in gold, and that stuff is pretty heavy.